Chapter 54

Brian's Song

Chapter 54

 

Not having what you want makes your heart hurt, I’m only human - Habit

 

Momo smiled at the group selfie on her phone.

She was tucked in the middle of the boys on the floor, with Dowoon and Wonpil both hugging her, Young K and Jae lying by her feet and Sungjin resting his head on hers from behind.

Their company president and the rest of the crew were all around them, with the fans in the background.

She had a similar one taken on the day after too.

In her eyes, they were the happiest and most perfect pictures ever taken in the history of k-rock concerts.

With slight tears misting her eyes, she looked across the kitchen table at her band bias.

It was already a week since that momentous occasion.

The boys were of course given an earful by JYP after the final concert, for the stunt they pulled at the opening.

They were lucky the fans were accepting enough to understand and forgive them, JYP scolded.

However, Day6 also managed to set the whole k-entertainment world abuzz with their plea to their fans, prompting the netizens, as well as industry experts and leaders to debate on the need for fanatical following to boost music sales, the manner of how entertainment management companies look after their wards, versus the physical, mental and emotional security of the artistes themselves.

Some even went as far as to suggest a statutory limits of what a fan can or cannot do to an artiste without being legally questioned. But through it all, all thoughts were given in equal favour of both the fans and artistes with the management given the responsibility of ensuring everything goes at the best interests of all.

And their fellow artistes applauded at the brave step Day6 took that night, hoping for a posititve change in k-entertainment culture in the near future.

Given the game changing and profound note the band left behind at the Every Day6 finale, their fuming president was somewhat placated.

And with his permission, the boys moved Momo quietly back into their dorm.

So, for the whole week the posse happily reunited with their cordi and took a much deserved break.

But while the others were enjoying their short holiday, Young K was frantically finishing his dissertation.

 

IMG_5287.JPG

 

So that night, while the other boys were all tucked in their respective beds, Momo simply chilled to keep him company.

Dongguk did not really give a hoot if their student was a hot bassist rapper or not, and have just completed a year long project of concerts and music compositions.

A deadline was a deadline.

And finish his dissertation Young K must.

“What?” He grinned at her without looking up.

They were at the kitchen table.

“Nothing,” she said, her head resting on her arms on the table. “Just looking at you.”

Young K stopped his typing, to look at her.

“Aren’t you sleepy?” He leaned over to ruffle her hair indulgently, to which she answered with a shake of her head.

She surprised them that morning with her hair cut short china doll style.

Taking Young K back when he first met her.

Very much the unstoppable teenager that she was.

She’s a young lady of nearly 20 now.

Has it been really 2 years since then? Young K mused.

And if he had thought of her as cute before, she was beautiful in his eyes now.

He tucked a stray hair behind her ear and smiled, before going back to his work.

About half an hour later, he looked up and pulled her to sit on his lap.

“Ok, here, let’s do this together,” he announced, hugging her from behind and holding on to her forefinger.

With a grand gesture, he lifted their hands high before dropping her finger on the email send button.

“There, done!” he grinned. “Now pray that I graduate with honours.”

She returned the grin, turning around to give him a congratulatory hug. She knew the prayer will not go wasted.

“You’re a good person, Brian-san,” Momo said, now sitting on the chair beside him, as he packed his PC and stuff.

“And you’ve realised it just now?” he raised his eyebrows at her, making her giggle.

“I know it a long time ago. I just didn’t want to tell. Your ego is inflated enough,” she huffed thinking of the unabashed smirk at his screaming fangirls last night.

“I wonder where that Japanese kid with the broken En-ge-rish has gone too,” Young K gave exaggerated sigh.

She smiled at him tenderly before saying softly.

 

9e3485df341fdf9d8085a45f62f4a69c_19448.jpg

 

“That kid… is going home, actually.”

Young K was in the midst of standing up, when he immediately sat in his seat again.

“Which home?”

“Japan, home,” she answered

“I thought we wanted to try it here first.”

“I’ve thought about that seriously. And I don’t think its wise.”

“You thought about it. By yourself. Without talking over with me.”

Young K slowly got angry, simply trying to hide his growing anxiety at the thought of her leaving him.

“I’m talking it over with you now,” Momo beseeched him with her eyes.

“No you’re not. You’re just telling me. You’ve decided without me.”

“Brian-san…”

“I don’t want talk about it. Not tonight.”

Young K got up and started to walk away.

“Then when?” Momo asked, standing up too, chasing after him.

“Molla!”

“Brian-san please,” Momo reached out for his elbow from behind. “This is for the best. Not only for you. But, for me too.”

He simply stared at her, knowing there were no other way to counter her words this time.

The weeks, no, the month of hardships she had to go through for his sakes, ran like a horror movie in his head.

Heck! Her hardship during the last two years too, for that matter.

“Let’s talk it over with Hyung-nim, neh?”

Yet, he still tried. Holding her arms as he did.

“No, let’s not,” she shook her head. “I don’t want to overstay my welcome here.”

Young K took her hands in his and tried to persuade her again.

“I thought you love me. Why are you leaving me, then?”

“It’s because I love you… that I have to leave you. You have to march ahead, and I will only drag you down.”

“No you won’t.”

“Yes I will.”

“Who will take care of me, then?”

“You will. Yourself. You don’t really need me. You never have. You’re just used to having me around. You’ll be just as great without me, if not greater.”

Young K could only stare at her.

She just smiled at him.

“And, I need to find myself too.”

“Without me?”

“You will be with me,” Momo lay a hand on his cheek. A touch so familiar, Young K wanted to cry. “Just not physically. You’ll be in my thoughts… my heart… my Spotify playlist.”

He laughed despite the irony of it all.

But without warning, his face crumpled and his lips trembled.

Knowing she was right.

She just smiled sadly towards him and enveloped him in her embrace like a child, as she usually did.

And for the umpteenth time that month, they cried quietly together again.