Chapter 42

Brian's Song

Chapter 42

 

‘The emotions within me; I end up cursing alone, oh no no – I Wish’

 

“Don..!”

“Hey..! Sorry I’m late, man,” Don Lee greeted Young K, as they gave each other a long overdue hug.

Don could not join for dinner at the Kangs’ the night before.

Instead, he came to the concert venue prior to sound check, to catch up.

“That’s ok. Housemanship keeping you busy?”

“Yeah, something like that,” Don flashed his familiar smile.

Young K knew Don had not been going to school, let alone being accepted at a hospital as a houseman, but he asked the question to see Don’s response.

Apparently, the latter was trying to hide the truth from him.

Don’s boyish looks was still the same, and he was acting the same, as if there were no problems in his life at the moment.

Making Young K wonder what the actual deal was. When he asked Terry the night before, apparently even Terry did not know.

The boys chatted for a bit, looking at the busy preparation works being done on stage, before Young K said, “I’m sorry about Daniella. Sorry I couldn't make it back for the funeral.”

“It’s ok, man,” Don said understandingly. “You were busy then. Now too, by the look of things.”

“Busy, yeah,” Young K sighed looking at the hustle and bustle on stage. “But still a long way to go.”

“But you made it, at least this far,” Don spread his hands at the John Basset Theatre hall, “if Terry and I were still singing, we’d open for you.”

“This is just a fanmeet, dude,” Young K laughed, “not a full fledged concert. We don’t warrant any opening acts.”

“You’ll get there, I’m sure of it,” Don said confidently.

Young K looked at his friend fondy. Amongst the three of them, Don was the least inclined towards music. Yet, he stuck because of their friendship.

In fact, Young K had a feeling Don did not really want to leave Canada for Seoul. But he did so because he knew Young K would be alone.

True enough, he could not endure JYPE’s gruelling training and was forced to drop out. Yet, for PR sakes, they announced that Don left in preference for med school.

And now, Young K wondered if med school was just as taxing on Don as it was the entertainment scene.

But before he could prod further, Momo came towards them.

“Brian-san, your turn at the mike.”

“Hait, wakata,” Young K answered, waving for Momo to come to him. “Mo, this is Don, the bud I told you about.”

“Oh, nice to meet you,” Momo bowed and smiled, greeting him in English.

“Hi, my pleasure.”

“Keep him company for a while, will ya,” Young K requested, before running up to the stage.

 

***

 

“So, you’re with JYPE?”

“Yes, I assist Manager Choi and Cordi Kim.”

“Ahhh,” Don nodded. “Been with the band long?”

“Only over a year.”

But obviously very familiar with the boys, Don thought.

He did not miss Young K’s actions with her eralier. The drop of hand on her shoulder, as he passed her, was both casual yet intimate in a way.

“You’re Japanese?”

“Yes,” Momo smiled. “How do you know?”

“You and Brian were talking Japanese just now.”

“Aaa, yeh. The boys try to practice with me every time they remember too.”

“Preparing for their Japanese debut,” Don supplied.

“Yes, that’s correct.”

“That’s really something,” Don said wistfully. “JYP is finally pushing them in the right direction.”

“Yes, he is.”

“Is he still as a task master as before? The big guy?”

“Task master? You mean, strict? Yes, he still is,” Momo smiled knowingly, remembering that Don was once a JYPE recruit too.

Although she has not dealt with him personally, she has seen him lose his temper from afar and been part of team to help materialise his dictations.

“But if you’re a favourite, it’s easier to get by,” Don said.

“Favourite? Day6?”

Momo was surprised Don would have that impression of the band. Twice or Got7 maybe, but definitely not Day6.

“No, not the band as a whole. Just Brian specifically.”

“Chincha? Sajang-nim is strict on Brian-san too.”

“Well, Brian is used to be pushed around, anyways,” Don smiled, but almost scathingly. “So, it’s nothing he’s not unfamiliar with.”

“I don’t understand,” Momo said.

She truly did not.

Not with what Don was trying to imply, nor with his sudden change in tone.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Don smiled charmingly. “It’s just that Bri is a good guy. But he has to stand on his own one day, y’know? Not remote controlled all the time. First by his dad, then Terry and now with his hyung-nim.”

Momo somehow did not like the way the conversation was going.

Don was implying that Young K did not have inititaives of his own, but needed prodding to move along.

But she knew otherwise.

He worked just as hard, if not more, than most others in the company. And his creativity and talent knew no bounds.

For the Every Day6 project specifically, he almost single handedly wrote the lyrics to all their songs, mainly because the other boys knew he was fastest and the best amongst them.

In fact, with Day6’s growing popularity, Young K’s compositions, voice and musical touches were spreading even beyond the Day6 walls.

And at most parts, those creativity was his very own, certainly by no other’s influence or control.

So, Momo was offended by Don’s innuendoes. He obviously does not know how much his old friend has grown the past years.

“Don-ssi, I think you should get to know the current Brian-san. I believe he has evolved from the person you used to know,” Momo smiled politely, before she nodded and excused herself to attend to her duties.

 

***

 

Their first night on the Canadian fanmeet went without a hitch.

And they celebrated over an after dinner party in a small banquet room of the theatre hall.

Both Young K’s family and friends were there. His parents were beaming with pride. It was a truly good gig.

Some time into the night, Momo felt Don’s eyes on her.

And somehow they were not kind.

She guessed that Don did not take too kindly of her curt dismissal of him earlier that afternoon.

 

“Don’t you get jealous?” Don suddenly asked, appearing beside her out of nowhere.

“Mwo?”

“Y’know, the girls are throwing themselves at Brian. How can you keep up with that?” He nodded at the scene across the room.

A group of girls, some of Young K’s old school mates, some were new acquaintances – were flocking around him, trying to vie for his attention with whatever means necessary – with their conversations, actions, dressing, looks, everything.

“You’re pretty, no doubt, but kinda plain, don’t cha think?” Don looked down at her, scrunching his nose as he observed her. To others, it looked like they were having a normal conversation, but they both knew otherwise. “So, how can you compete with those y gorgeous girls?”

“I’m not in the competition,” Momo smiled politely. Being in JYPE the past year, has thought her how to maintain composure in all sorts of situations.

But this was certainly a new scenario for her; and she was quite uncertain why it was taking place.

“Oh, but I think you are,” Don whispered knowingly, before sauntering off.

 

***

 

“So, are you like Day6's personal groupie or something?” Don grinned, approaching her again, later.

Yet the grin was not at all warm.

More of cynical and insinuating.

“Groupie?”

Don was speaking in Korean and the meaning of his word was a little alien to Momo.

He was observing both Young K and Momo together, as and when they crossed paths through out the night; and was forming his own conclusions.

Again, like how Terry’s keen eyes detected back in Seoul, despite Momo and Young K being casual with each other, there were vibes that suggested the opposite.

In fact, the way the two of them being extra polite with each other compared to Momo’s relaxed stance with the other Day6 boys and JYPE people, was fishy to say the least.

“Yeah, y’know, like a girl who follows a rock band everywhere they go, and cater to the boys’ every whim. I’ve been watching you,” Don leaned towards her, “with the boys, but more specifically with him.”

The words could have meant anything, but this time, Momo understood Don’s innuendo.

She went red in the face, more from anger than anything else.

But luckily Wonpil, approaching Don for a chat, came to the rescue – whether he realised it or not.

“No, no Don-ssi. Momo-chan is not a groupie. She’s our cordi-sensei. She works for JYPE. She teaches us Japanese and takes care of us 24/7,” Wonpil flashed his innocent smile.

“Oh, mian,” Don grinned sheepishly. “Me bad.”

But a short pause, he said again, “24/7? She stays with you?”

Don was really giving her the creeps. His smile was sweet, but the stare that emanated from his eyes said the opposite.

But again, innocent Wonpil did not think that far. At least not when he thought of Don as family.

“Yes, she does. It’s a long story,” he smiled. “But we are not complaining. Are we, Mo-chan?”

Momo smiled sadly at Wonpil’s slip.

Don’s triumphant smile, however, again meant a whole different thing.

 

 

 

Disclaimer - Again, some character details & background have been altered to suit the story. I duly apologise if some content offend any parties. I certainly mean no disrespect to any of the Day6, 3rd Degree or any of their family & friends in any way. Quite the opposite, I am in awe & so happy of how Terry, Don, Young K/Brian Kang & their Toronto friends are still fast friends & in total support for each other. RESPEKT!