Chapter 18

Brian's Song

Chapter 18

 

“I’m afraid to touch you, I just want to look at you a little more, I want to remember this moment, I want to cherish it – Say Wow”

 

Young K knew his days at Hakuba were numbered.

So, to repay his hosts’ kindness, he volunteered to clean a messy store room he once came across in the basement.

Much to the chagrin of his friend.

They both silently decided to ignore the conversation they had that night, and were back to their usual friendly self the day after.

But remembering his promise to JYP and Momo’s statement of him leaving, made him latch onto her at every opportunity he could get.

To the point that he found himself waiting for her at the school gates so they could walk together to work, just to minimise their time apart.

And whether she acknowledged it or not, the feeling was mutual with Momo.

Hence why she was fuming that morning.

It was her birthday and she was sure Brian did not remember.

But she wanted to go to town and show him off somehow.

As a friend, temporary date or whatever.

Bald head, goatee and all.

“I wanted us to go to town today,” Momo whined. “It’s not often that we get a Saturday off.”

“Aww, it won’t take us long. We can still go later. Daylight is longer now,” he ruffled her hair like she was 8 instead of 18.

True to his prediction and non stop hard work, they finished at around 3pm.

They threw out more junk than salvage hidden treasures.

But at the very least Young K managed to clear a good space for Otosan to stock other much needed items in the future.

Today, Momo acted very much like the teenager she truly was. Dragging her feet as she reluctantly helped him.

In fact, she was only good at pointing out which item should stay and which should go.

Which was fine with Young K.

Momo acted too much like an adult sometimes, working too hard for his liking.

In actual fact, Young K was not keen on going to town. At least not during day time.

He was still scared he might get recognised.

Besides, as long as Momo was beside him, even a dingy basement was a fun place to be.

 

***

 

Out of the junk they cleared, Young K did find one gem.

An old dilapidated acoustic guitar, which fortunately had all the strings intact.

“Come here,” he called out to Momo after finally finishing his spring cleaning.

He took the still sulking Momo by the hand and led her to a corner.

“I have something for you.”

Momo looked at him quizzically.

They settled themselves on the floor, and Young K started to tune the guitar.

Once done, he began to sing to her.

The song he just finished writing the lyrics to.

He did not realise how much he missed performing until then.

He concentrated on his singing, mainly looking at the guitar he was strumming.

He coud have easily played without looking down, but somehow he was nervous to be looking at his one and only audience.

Throughout his rendition, Momo remained quiet.

Gone was the sulky girl she was before.

She did not understand a word Young K was singing, as he was singing in Korean.

Yet she simply stared at his beautiful face, and listened to his even more beautiful voice.

So beautiful it pierced her heart.

At his last strum, Young K slowly looked up at her.

He smiled as he saw her cheeks wet with tears.

Silently, he leaned to brushed them off with his calloused thumbs.

“Why are you crying?” He mused.

Momo did not realise she was.

“That was so beautiful."

“You understood it?”

“No, but the way you sang it. You can easily be a singer once you graduate, Brian-san,” Momo said in earnest

He laughed at her statement.

“Happy Birthday,” he smiled softly at her.

She looked up in surprise.

“I have a very good memory, you know. That was a birthday present for you.”

“Who sang it?”

“I did.”

“I mean the original singer. I don’t know much about korean pop.”

“That was an original. I composed it 2 months ago with my friends. I just finished the lyrics last night.”

“Honto ne?”

Momo’s eyes was once again bright with admiration.

“Uhmmm.”

“It was beautiful,” she smiled, her earlier miffed towards him disappeared totally. “Thank you. I’m serious about you becoming a singer.”

“Yeah I know,” Young K looked at her in indulgence. “Come, we’re finished here I guess. Shall we go out and get you a piece of cake?”

“Yes, I’d love that!”

 

***

 

It was the best birthday celebration she has ever had.

They wandered around Hakuba’s little town aimlessly, stopping for street snacks and window shopping, before ending up in a quaint Japanese café for a slice of cake and Japanese tea.

And they chatted and argued like they always do.

The best and most surprising thing for Momo, was the fact that Young K held her hand like he owned it throughout their outing in town.

And when they got back, they were greeted by a scrumptious meal prepared by her mother. And the two of them had a nice dinner with her parents.

It was a simple celebration but sweet nonetheless.

Definitely the most memorable for her.

“What are we doing tomorrow,” Young K asked her later, as they stood in the balcony before calling it a night.

She knew he was reluctant to end their time together. At least she hoped he was, because she certainly did not want the night to end just yet.

“I have to visit the shrine. Since I didn’t today. To get blessings for my birthday.”

“Can I come along?”

“You want to?”

“Of course.”

Momo was both surprised and not at the same time.

She did not want to acknowledge it but they seemed to be inseparable lately. So, Brian wanting to accompany her on an auspicious occasion should not come to a surprise to her.

Not that she had any close friend to go with her anyways.

Which made her realise how lonely her life was before this beautiful young man appeared.

And while it touched her that he was so willing to go with her tomorrow, it also pained her to think of the time when he really has to leave.

“All right. That would be wonderful. We leave at 7.30, ok?”

“Ok.”

It was clearly an opening to part ways.

Yet they both stood there still, smiling stupidly at each other.

“So,” Momo finally cleared , yet blushing all the way to her hair roots. “I think we need some sleep.”

“Oh, ok,” Young K let her hand go sheepishly.

They did not even realise he was holding on to it.

“So, good night,” Young K said, somewhat a little shy.

“Good night.”

They paused a little while still.

Until Young K threw caution into the wind, and quickly leaned forward to kiss her on her cheek.

“What’s that for?” Momo gasped, cupping her cheek in reflex.

“Claiming my position as your first date,” the beautiful young man flashed his killer smile.

Albeit a little shyly.

“How so?”

“Well, it’s your birthday and you’re officially 18. Meaning you’re eligible to date. So, I’d like to think that what we did today was a date of sorts. The conventional way. Not your definition of dating,” he explained. “That, we begun unofficially a month ago.”

Young K has never felt this nervous before. Sprouting his words at top speed.

Failing to note that he was older between the two of them, the more experienced and a rising k-pop idol at that, simply because of her intense stare.

She looked down suddenly, hiding her smile.

“Baka..” she said softly, calling him silly.

So softly, Young K almost missed her remaining words.

“I accept, thank you.”

Almost. But did not.

 

 

 

Foxi's Notes - Day6 released another song today,  What Can I Do, with an old rock vibe & a cute school based MV. The storyline is cute too, worthy of a web drama :) So because of that, I feel it'll be nice to post another chapter. For those who have subscribed to Brian's Song, thank you from the bottom of my heart. And if you are not already a fan or haven't listen to Day6, do give these talented boys a go. I promise, they would be worth your time.

God bless.

Love, Foxi