Chapter 52

Brian's Song
Chapter 52

“You can lean on me; I’m standing here waiting for you – I Can”


The show has to go on. Or rather, the preparations for the show.
The boys soldiered on despite the onslaught of negativities around them.
Due to Junghyeok’s passing, internal fanwars also started – some saying that Day6 should have not have abondoned their former keyboardist, while some said Junghyeok’s fate was his own choosing .
But through it all, the consensus was the same, that Day6 problems always stemmed from a girl.
So to the sasaengs, in order to save Day6 as a whole, any female equation in the romantic sense, must be taken out.

***

Wonpil ran through the corridors in search of Young K.
But found only Sungjin and Jae lounging around in the practice room.
“Hyung..!” Wonpil bent by his waist, trying to catch his breath. “I think Mo-chan’s in trouble.”
“Whaat..?” both Jae and Sungjin exclaimed, and the boys lost no time to search for her.
They were at JYPE again.
Wonpil was walking from the gents to the vending machine, when he looked out the window to see Momo being mobbed by the fans outside the building gates.
She went out earlier to buy some foundation for the make up bag.
When the boys finally got to the ground floor, Momo was already in the foyer, escorted by one of the guards.
Her hair in disarray and her jacket torn at the sleeve.
“Mo-chan..!” the boys called out, running towards her.
“Hi,” she smiled brightly.
Yet, fear and bewilderment could still be seen on her face.
“I’m ok,” she said before they could ask her.
In fact, this was the third time she was accosted since the pictures came out.
Apart from physical abuse, crass words were also thrown towards her.
She has been keeping mum about this, not wanting the boys to worry.
But obviously, this time, they saw it for themselves.
The three boys quickly took her to their changing room.
“Where’s Brian-san?” she asked as soon as they were in the safe confines of the room.
“Out buying lunch with Dowoon.”
Momo sighed in relief.
“Good, let’s just keep this between us, neh?”
“What?” Jae frowned. “No. Brian needs to know.”
“No, he doesn’t.”
“Mo-chan, he’ll kill us if he finds out about this and us not telling him,” Sungjin said. “Has this happened before?”
“Your concert’s in a week’s time,” Momo justified, averting Sungjin’s question. “You don’t need extra things to worry about. I’m fine.”
Wonpil was crying again, trying to tame Momo’s hair with a comb.
“Thank you, Piri-kun,” Mom smiled. “You’re so sweet.”
Jae silently observed her, not knowing what to think.
“You’re not going anywhere alone, anymore. And if you really need to, we’ll get security to go with you.”
“Ok,” Momo smiled again, knowing Jae has decided for them not to tell Young K. “Komawo, Jae.”

***

It happened again, three days later. Even without Momo having to leave the vicinity.
She was just walking towards the guard house to fetch a Day6 parcel, when the mob outside the gates started to get excited again.
“Leave our Brian alone, you !”
And a rotten egg came flying towards her to accompany the shout.
Dowoon witnessed the scene this time, being just inside the entrance area.
He came out immediately, without thinking, to help Momo out.
Shielding her away from the frenzied attack.
At the sight of their beloved drummer, the crowd went crazy, despite the guards trying  to ward them off.
And the maknae lost no time in pushing the shocked Momo inside.

***

“Where is she?” Young K burst into the dressing room, with Dowoon trailing closely behind.
Jae face palmed when he saw Young K and Dowoon running in. Obviously Dowoon reported the incident to his Hyung.
Young K was absolutely livid.
He was impatiently pacing the dressing room floor, when Momo came out of the bathroom, drying her hair as she did.
Freshly showered, the stinky rotten egg all washed away from her hair.
The other three boys were keeping vigilant over her, ever since Dowoon brought her in earlier.
They did not think the maknae would have searched for Young K, who was with a technician, fixing his bass strings.
“Hey,” Momo greeted him, as if nothing happened.
“Don’t you ‘hey’ me,” he rushed towards her and grabbed her by the arms, albeit gently. “Kwenchana?”
“Neh, kwenchana,” she assured him.
“This is not the first time, is it?”
“No, Brian,” Sungjin replied, deciding to come clean. If it was his girl, he would want to know the truth as well. “We saw it happened once before, but I’m sure it was more than that.”
“And you didn’t tell me?” Young K turned his wrath at the leader.
Jae looked at Momo with an ‘I told you so’ face.
“I asked them not to.”
“Why?”
“Because…”
“…you don’t want me to worry,” he finished for her, sitting down dejectedly, not knowing how to solve the issue.
“We just have to ride this through, man. Just like Hyung-nim said. It’s either that, or…” Jae nearly finished his sentence before he remembered Momo was there with them.
But Momo picked up the line and knew how the sentence was supposed to end.
Or send her home.
Well, it was only a matter of time before she really has to go home, she acknowledged.
But for the sake of Young K and her boys, she kept the thought to herself.

***

The other boys left them to their privacy.
Young K was sitting bent at the waist with his face in his hands.
Momo gingerly sat beside, knowing he was angry – with the fans, the whole situation, with himself.
“And here I thought this’ll end with Junhyeok’s passing.”
“Well, technically, this has nothing to do with Junhyeok.”
“It has… if you take those sasaeng’s work in the same context,” he hit head repeatedly against the back of the sofa in anger. “It is just not right! What they do to us… is just not right!”
“It’s part and parcel of your work, Brian-san. It’s something you just have to live with,” Momo said sternly, pulling him away from the wall.
“If only I was in a different line of work...”
“If you were in a different line of work, no one would have put you in that hotel, nor would you try to get away and ended up at our place, and we wouldn’t have met,” Momo smiled, trying to lighten the mood.
“Aaaarrggghhh..!” The normally placid Young K got up suddenly and kicked the coffee table in front of him. Throwing whatever items that was within reach.
“Hey,” she said, trying to calm him, “don’t be like this. This was bound to happen.”
“We didn’t do anything wrong!” he shouted, glaring down at her. “If we’re truly dating, at least it’ll be worth it.”
“Whose definition of dating?” Momo smiled softly, trying to cheer him up again, pulling at his arms. “If it’s mine, I believe we are.”
Young K finally allowed himself to look at her.
So sweet and positive, even though he knew she was upset and baffled by the situation.
But he knew she was right.
They were not sleeping together, nor do they go out on dates together, nor have they promised each other the moon.
Yet in his heart, he was truly dating her.
Sharing his hopes and dreams, his ups and downs, his heart, his everything with her.
Even proudly introducing her to his family without the obvious words.
And by Momo’s definition she once shared a long time ago, they were truly dating.
After a long while, Young K sighed, accepting his fate, yet his mind whirled away thinking of how to rectify the situation.
And knowing it was his duty to.
He smiled at her sadly, sitting down at last.
Feeling tired all of a sudden, he took refuge in Momo once again, pulling her to stand in front of him.
Close enough for him to bury his face in her belly.
Momo gently caress his head, knowing he needed the comfort and reassurance.
They stayed that way for a while until…
“What are you wearing?” he suddenly asked, frowning again as he did. 
“Piri-kun’s sweater.”
Although Young K’s aversion to Wonpil’s infamous pink garment was not as strong as Jae’s, seeing another man’s clothes on his girl was definitely not acceptable.
He groaned and got up towards his knapsack.
Handing her his own bright yellow sweatshirt, he requested, “change please.”
“Neh.”
And Momo grinned and she hugged the jumper all the way to the bathroom to change.

 
 
 
Foxi's Notes - For the uninitiated, Wonpil has this really shocking pink sweater that has charted its way up Jae's hate list. Here's Piri-man paying tribute to his beloved sweater - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS_Lukz04HU (after 0:30); Wonpil in his sacred garment at various appearances https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zipazi0Bl4A (after 5:39)
 
Image result for wonpil pink sweater   Piri Pink  vs YoungK Yellow  Related image