Chapter 41

Brian's Song

Chapter 41

 

“I wish there was someone; Who’d hug me saying that I worked hard; When I get back home – All Alone”

 

Young K stood in attention in front of his father’s oak desk, while the Professor himself sat behind it.

“I received your exam results.”

“Yes sir, my mid year results. The final ones will be later.”

“Yes, I know. You did quite well,” the Professor nodded, albeit without expression.

“Thank you sir,” Young K kept his head bowed.

“So, these are your albums?” Professor Kang asked, all 3 Day6 CDs on his desk – Daydream, The Day and Sunrise.

“Yes sir,” Young K could feel cold sweats started to appear on his temples, at the sudden change of topic.

“With one more coming out in a month?”

“Yes sir.”

At his father’s interrogation, Young K felt the dinner lovingly prepared by his mother, grew heavier in his stomach.

“You mother bought me a radio system to play them.”

Knowing that his father was not really expecting any answers, Young K kept quiet.

“I hear you write 87.3% of all the lyrics in all three albums.”

Trust his father to be precise in his calculations.

“Yes sir.”

“And 36.9% in the overall compositions and arrangements?”

“Yes sir.”

Young K certainly did not know the real statistics, but he somehow felt he had to agree.

“And you’re number 28 in the list of k-artistes with most music royalties.”

He was surprised his father knew that too.

“Yes sir.”

“And that’s only after three years in the industry.”

“Yes sir, that is correct.”

“That is, of course, not counting your trainee years.”

Young K bowed his head, not really knowing where this conversation was going.

“But… that is quite impressive.”

“Sir?” Young K lifted his head at that unexpected remark.

“I must say I’m a little wrong in putting you down before.”

Professor Kang was highly disapproval of Young K’s choice of vocation when he requested to join JYPE before. If not for his mother vouching for him, he would not have even made it to the airport 7 years ago.

“Especially when your scandal broke out. But Park Jin-young-ssi assured me everything will be all right. And so far, I believe things are not too bad.”

Young K simply looked at his father.

“I haven’t always said this,” Professor Kang, looking up straight into his son’s eyes. “But I’m proud of you.”

Young K was completely thrown off.

“Sir?”

“You’ve worked really hard… at both your studies and chosen career. Keep it up!"

And Young K could do nothing but to bend at his waist in deep appreciation of his father’s unexpected but sincere praises.

“Sir! Thank you, sir!”

That was more and above what he had hoped for.

Acceptance.

 

***

 

Young K managed to get some quiet time with his Omma in the kitchen.

Getting the mugs ready as his mom made coffee.

Only the boys, Manager Choi, Cordi Kim and Momo were left at the house.

With Terry and his girlfriend staying on, to chat in the living living room.

The house were earlier full with Young K’s friends, family and cousins. Some bringing dishes to complement the food Young K’s mother prepared.

The full Day6 crew members did not join for dinner as they had to look into the venue preparations for the next day’s concert.

So, after his session with his father, happy Young K sought his mother out, finding her in the kitchen – bypassing Momo with a plate of cakes, on her way out.

 

“So, you want to tell me about her?”

“About who?”

“Don’t play dumb with me, Younghyun,” his mother smiled. “Momo of course.”

He looked at his mother in surprised.

He did not think he did anything to suggest that he and Momo were together.

His mom laughed.

“I’m a mother. We’re magical that way. Besides, you did tell me about her, once.”

“I did? When?”

“When you were in Japan, remember?”

“Gosh, that was a long time ago.”

“I've good memories. It is her, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Young K laughed.

“She’s really pretty,” Mrs kang smiled in approval. “She helped me in the kitchen earlier.”

“She did? But she’s also very smart, Omma.”

“Did I ever say that being in the kitchen would diminish anyone’s intelligence? Quite the opposite, I would say.”

Mrs Kang was getting used to or rather, getting quite tired of the ultra-forward Canadian Asian girls, especially in their lack of domesticity.

So to her, Momo was like a breath of fresh air.

Just like how her son once thought.

“You think so, Ma?” Young K smiled, seeking his mother’s approval.

“Neh, seems level headed too.”

“Yeah, she is, isn’t she? Very matured for her age.”

Young K was hard selling his lady love to his mother.

“But she’s also going back to Japan one day,” his mother said softly.

Young K looked at his mother.

“She told you that?”

“Not in so many words.”

“I can keep her a while longer.”

“She’s not a pet for you to keep,” she said softly. “Besides, will it be fair to her?”

Young K kept silent.

“She has to do college, soon. She seems like a bright young woman. It’s too early for her to start working full time. And too risky in your industry.”

Young K gave a long tired sigh.

“I know, Ma,” Young K acknowledged sadly.

At the dejected bow of his head, Mrs Kang looked at him with emphatic eyes.

“I’m sure the two of you will work it out some way,” his mother consoled him, “provided that your feelings for each other stay strong.”

And with her soapy hands, took her tall son in a long, comforting embrace.

“By the way,” Mrs Kang said after a long while, “Madam Lee asked you to look into Don when you see him. Apparently, he’s been suspended from med school.”