Chapter 40

Brian's Song

Chapter 40

 

“When you feel like it’s too hard; Maybe you can look right next to you; I’ll lend you my shoulder; Today (lean on me) – Lean On Me”

 

“Welcome to Toronto,” Young K grinned, spreading his arms around.

Toronto was the fifth and last stop on their North American Tour – Los Angeles, Austin, Detroit, New York and then Toronto.

It was planned as part of their Every Day6 promotions and was only finalised a month earlier.

It was Momo’s first trip outside the Asian region and she was over the moon with excitement.

Her dream to see the world was slowly coming true.

All thanks to JYPE.

They survived their airport arrival at Young K’s second home earlier, and was now safely in their tour van.

Momo looked over at the grinning Young K, as he lapped the scenes outside their vehicle window.

However, despite his smile, Momo detected a little hint of nervousness. Or maybe apprehension.

Just like how Jae was in LA, Momo thought.

So, secretly, without the others noticing, Momo slipped her tiny hand in his much larger one beside her.

They were seated at the last row of the 8-seater, with Momo in the middle and Young K and Wonpil on her either side.

Young K looked at her in surprise and read her silent ‘don’t worry, be happy’ expression directed towards him.

How did she know, he wondered.

And he smiled, squeezing her hand in return, extremely glad to have her with him.

He was nervous - both with ‘glad to be back home’ excitement and pre-concert jitters.

This was their second visit as a band to Toronto, but with a much bigger venue this time.

And like Jae during their first NA stop, Young K wanted to prove to his family and friends that he made the right choice of vocation.

He wanted to prove it to himself too.

His old friends were already finishing colleges, working in ‘normal’ industries and dating or even married, while he was still pursuing a dream.

Hence, he wanted to show that the dream was slowly becoming a reality.

 

***

 

“Don’t you miss this?” Momo asked.

“What?”

“Living in Toronto, with all these Western Asians?”

They made a stop over at one of Toronto’s malls to eat and shop a little, before checking in at their hotel, and going over to Young K’s home for dinner and family get together later.

Momo finally experienced for herself the vast difference of an Asian country compared to a Western one.

Though, coming from Japan, she should not have felt any differences in the structured clean governance of a Western advanced country. But Momo was from a small town, so she was very much in awe of the grandness of it all.

As they walked around the shopping area, it seemed like the whole of Toronto’s Asian community were waiting for them at every corner of the mall.

But unlike the fans in Korea, who were dictated by the local entertainment law to just follow and record their activities, the Torronto fans, both male and female, were forward and confident enough to stop them for a hug, wefie, signing or simply just to say hello.

And because they were on foreign land and the people who approached the Day6 boys did them casually, Manager Choi and the JYPE bouncers left them very much alone.

“Western Asians, that’s a very good way to describe them,” Young K placed a slice of his burger patty on Momo’s plate. “Try that, they’re good.”

“What do you mean, them? You’re a Western Asian too, dude,” Jae called out from his end of the table.

“Only for four years, though.”

“So, you back a Korean now?”

“I’ve always been a Korean, man.”

“Yeah, come to think of it, it’s me who’s become more Korean and less American now,” Jae said. He was reflecting his own visit to LA as an artiste a week ago.

Whenever he went back to LA to visit his family, he felt he could still blend in. But coming back as Day6, he felt the Korean in him somewhat amplified. The melancholy of never being able to embrace himself as a pure American again, in a way saddened yet liberated him as a person.

And with Young K not really being born and bred in Canada, Jae figured the alienation part was greater for Young K than him.

And in a big way, Jae felt grateful for his other three brothers, especially the ones with the proud Busan accent, who would always remind him that belonging was not bound by location, race, religion or anything like that.

Belonging was where your heart and soul resided.

“Hyung, eat my mash patato,” Dowoon said in simple English, as he scooped a spoon for Jae. He flashed his boyish smile to both Jae and then Young K, before continuing in satoori, “Korean or not, music and food, are universal.”

“Well said!” Young K grinned.

“Let’s drink to that,” Sungjin concurred.

And Wonpil and the others joined in the toast.

 

 

Foxi's Notes - Here are the vlogs the boys did on their NA tour. While the pure koreans (SJ, WP & DW) showed their excitement on the tour, they also kept mentioning that the tour was extra special because it was now done at Jae's & YK's home grounds. And they want it a memorable not only for the fans but for both Jae & YK as well (aww...our sweet boys)

Jae's & YK's vids show how happy, excited yet nervous they were in performing for their family & friends & also how they have grown thru it all :)

Jae's Cut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrxfWZD_34 (LA)

Dowoon's Cut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6wWNEEx3v8 (Austin)

Sungjin's Cut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLC8OFk1BnI (Detroit)

Wonpil's Cut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtD7IGZ_k6k (NY)

YK's Cut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4fLtsZhXR8 (Toronto)