Chapter 23

Brian's Song

Chapter 23

 

“In the middle of the night, I always think of where you are; By now, do you think of me too? – Eyeless”

 

How did this happen, Momo asked herself as she stared up at the ceiling.

True, her sole reason for coming to Seoul was to find him.

But in her imagination, it was her him begging her forgiveness, and she will just toss her hair and laugh in his face.

Or they would run towards each other like long separated lovers and hugged each other silly.

Or he would have called her parents to know she was missing and frantically searched the world to find her.

But noooo…. Just Brian just had to have it his way.

God knows what he told his Manager but lo and behold, here she was.

In his very den and in the lair of his band of brothers.

Momo got up from her lying position and panicly looked towards her door.

Did I lock the door?

Yes, I did. Thank goodness.

And she laid back on the bed.

Momo did not know what possessed her to accept the job.

Perhaps it was the money and also to escape the bullying by her co-workers.

But she really thought she would stay in a proper dormitory and teach at the JYPE building.

Instead, she ended up in the Day6 apartment.

Feeling like a trapped kitten in a cage full of tigers.

Momo thought back of the day seven months ago.

She remembered feeling really happy waking up that morning.

Curling her toes under the blankets as she remembered the unexpected yet totally sweet kiss her Brian-san gave her.

It was her first kiss. So she had none other to compare it with.

Yet, sweet was the only word she could describe it.

Momo was really looking forward to a wonderful day and an even more wonderful week with Young K.

She did not even think much of the packet of money she found on her way out of her room, skipping happily to get breakfast ready.

When the normally punctual Young K did not turn up, Momo went to get him.

When no answer came to her knock on his door, Momo opened it and peeked in.

When no trace of his belongings could be seen, Momo panicked.

And she searched the hostel from top to bottom.

Even calling the ski centre to find out if he was there.

Only to reconfirm her worst fear.

That he has left.

Without even a good bye.

Momo did not go to school that day.

Instead, she dazely gave the packet of cash to her parents and went back to the sanctuary of her room.

And that was when she found his chain.

Hanging brightly on her door knob.

“You see these two crescents?” He told her once. “If you twirl them towards this oval in the middle, they form one full circle. A ball of fire, so hot it’ll give you third degre burns.”

He grinned at the cliched words, but his smile had lighted his whole face.

The chain represented his friendship with his high school buddies and clearly it was a well-loved one.

Back to the present, Momo reached down towards her knapsack and took out a small Japanese silk pouch.

Sitting up and leaning back against the bed frame, she shook the chain out into her palm.

You’ve never taken this chain off, right?

Except to leave it behind for me.

So, you did mean for me to find you, right?

And return this to you.

You didn’t say good bye, because it wasn’t time yet.

Right?

Well, you’ve managed to lure me here.

You would not believe what I went through to find you.

And thank you for stepping in at the last minute to rescue me.

So… why did you pretend not to know me just now?

 

***

 

Earlier that day.

 

“Welcome to Day6,” Dowoon grinned bashfully.

He looked like he wanted to introduce himself, but out of habit, and respect, he turned to Sungjin instead.

“Oh,” Sungjin said, taking the cue from Dowoon. “Hana dul set. Hello, we are Day6. I am leader, Park Sungjin. But you can call me Sungjin.”

Gosh, why do I sound like making introductions in a concert, Sungjin thought, complete with the ‘one, two, three’.

He did not know why, but Momo’s presence somewhat unnerved him.

Having a girl in their home seemed odd.

And Cordis were supposed to be robust and tough. ‘Big’ even.

How else can they stand their ground against all the saseang fans and calculative concert organisers?

But this girl…

She’s so small and dainty.

With big innocent eyes.

I just can’t imagine, Sungjin thought.

At Sungjin’s silence and Momo’s nod, the eldest Day6 member spoke up.

“Hey, my name is Jae. What’s good?”

Momo bowed again at Jae’s English introduction.

This girl knows English, right? I’ll have to test her later. I still don’t buy this ‘staying with us’ .

I mean, Cordi Kim stayed with us at times, but only cos Hubby Choi has a room here too.

This girl looks a little clueless, if you were to ask me. Definitely no experienced Cordi, this one.

Yeah, something’s off here, that’s for sure.

“I’m Young K,” the next introduction went. And stopped.

Momo nodded again. Not even daring to look at Young K in the eyes.

Wonpil looked at Young K in surprise. At both at his hyung’s frown and curt intro.

Young K was usually the most charming amongst them where girls, and boys for that matter, were concerned.

“Hyung? That’s it?”

“Yeah.”

“Ok,” Wonpil accepted eagerly and turned towards Momo.

He bowed waist down from his sitting position.

“I am Kim Wonpil. I sing and play the keyboards and synthesizer. I am from Seoul, and have been in JYPE since 16 years old. Please make yourself comfortable here. Thank you.”

It was the longest introduction amongst all of them so far.

This girl looks so confused and scared, the poor girl, Wonpil thought.

But who wouldn’t be if you have Jae-hyung growling at you and Brian-hyung scowling at you. Luckily leader looks excited with the last addition.

It’s ok, Momo-ssi, we two maknaes will look after you, Wonpil said silently, giving his widest smile.

Which probably scared Momo even more.

Wonpil winced at her widened eyes.

And with that thought, Wonpil turned towards Dowoon for his turn.

“Aahh uhhmm… I am Yoon Dowoon. I am Maknae, youngest. I play drums. That,” Dowoon pointed to the matress by the living room wall, “is my lazy space. But you’re welcomed to use it, as this sofa belongs to Jae-hyung.”

Momo shifted uneasily on her seat at the sofa, looking towards the still grim Jae.

“And oh… hajime mae,” Dowoon grinned and bowed politely. Showing off the only Japanese greeting he knew apart from Ohayo and Arigato.

The boys were all seated facing her on the rectangle coffee table, safe for Jae and Young K, who were lounging on the floor.

Yet, it were the two boys farthest away from her who looked the most intimadating.

Which should not really be the case.

Because she felt as she knew all of them by heart.

She has been ‘living’ with them for the last 7 months.

Ever since Brian-san was good enough to leave his most precious personal item for her.

Not the chain, but his name.

The name provided her with the window to his very existence.

From his amateur days as Youtuber Brian Kang, to Toronto’s sweetheart Third Degree, to anticipated JYPE rookie to debuted hunk, Young K of 5Live and Day6.

The name also led her to his best mates in Canada, Terry He and Don Lee as well as his Day6 brothers.

She devoured every music video, every article, every interview, every live performance and song cover she could get her hands on.

She went sleep and woke up to their tunes and melodies. Every lyrics became her Korean to Japanese translation homework.

She even went through all reaction videos she could find, simply to know what people think of Day6. Even the read the comments.

Yes, she knew them all.

Every person’s background and quirkiness. Their strengths and weaknesses. Their movements and itineraries. Everything that the social media could offer.

She was a saseang to the core.

Whether she was a fan, was something she has yet to decide upon.

But at the obvious gesture to make her feel comfortable by Dowoon made her smile.

A soft hesitant smile which was sweet none the less.

Which automatically brightened her previously unreadable face.

A smile so surprisingly sweet, it reduced the room to a total silence.

Until Dowoon’s signature ‘woah!’ broke it.

Young K looked around at the boys, Jae included, in astonishment.

Great! Now they are all smitten.

!

And for the first time, Young K wondered whether bringing her home was a good thing after all?

 

 

Foxi's Notes - It's 6th of the month in our parts of Asia now & the boys released another gem. Again, its a mixture of bittersweet melody that makes you unsure of to smile or cry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwLMA5XYnKI. But with the September release, it means there's only 3 months of Day6 monthly goodness & that makes me kinda sad :(

 

But today, I'll pay tribute to my Japanese muse that is my vision for Momose - Suzu Hirose. I'm not supposed to talk about her since this is a Day6 fic, but I feel she deserves a little mention. Suzu is Japan's current sweetheart who started acting at age 14 in 2013 (she's 19 now). In one of her latest movies 'Let's Go Jets' her smile was paid tribute as the winning factor of the cheerdance character she played - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1pOfJLJJ2g. Amongst her notable efforts are Our Little Sister (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3CV-RUhbmY) and Chihayafuru (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANfoAIMWdc&t=36s) Suzu has an older sister, Alice Hirose, who is also model and actress like her.

 

(video credits goes to the uploaders)