Chapter 25

Brian's Song

Chapter 25

 

“Stop the awkward distance between us, so frustrated, the one who seems so close but far; Yeah it’s you - You”

 

The next few days were a whirlwind for Momo.

True as Jae said, they started early that morning, as with the subsequent mornings after.

Cordi Kim forewent her medical leave to follow her hubby to work for three days, mainly to give Momo a crash course on her coordinator job.

Assisting Manager Choi simply meant taking personal care of the boys from A to Z 24/7 – from making sure they get up and ready for their day’s itinerary on time, to sending and picking up their laundry, to stocking their kitchen with food.

They were always on the move, so simple prepacked snacks like red bean buns and canned drinks were always at hand.

She followed them everywhere, which was mainly to the JYPE building for practices and one or two radio talk show appearances and emceeing jobs.

Day6 was low on public music appearances at that moment as they were preparing for their next comeback.

While she remained in the background, she was still included in their every move, even during brainstorming sessions with their producers and music advisors on their next concept – mainly to help record their proceedings on a digital camera or help Manager Choi take notes.

The only time she was away from them was when they locked themselves up in the studio or practice room.

Image result for day6 practice

 

But along the way, she got a glimpse of Young K’s life as a struggling musician, and the hectic stressful life he led.

Day6 not only wrote and produced their own songs, but either individually or as a group, they also emceed music talk shows, write and produce songs for other artistes, as well as do performance collaborations with other singers.

And for Young K, he juggled all these with being a full time student at Dongkook.

She was almost guilty thinking of him as a playful rich man’s son.

She did read about the attempt to tarnish Young K pristine image with the Love Motel pictures. Pictures that had both the positive and negative effects on the band.

The scandal helped push the almost obscure little band into the limelight a little.

Nothing the online videos she watched prepared her for the true nature of the k-pop cut throat world.

In an industry flooded with synchronised sing and dance performaces, musical bands were seldom given the recognition and support they deserved.

Only 2 or 3 k-rock bands like FT Island and CN Blue made it far on the commercial success factor.

So, Momo’s heart went out to boys when she saw how diligently they practiced and how hard they tried to be more accepted in the industry.

So, in the name of her current employment, she tried her best to help in any way she can.

Her initial job scope was becoming out of balance to her second job scope, though.

She only spent an hour or two a day coaching the boys Japanese - either as a group or individully, depending on their availability.

Other times it was speaking to them informally as and when they remember too. English and Korean were also thrown into the foray with Jae and Young K as their instructors or translators. The latter was also much for her benefit as for the other three pure koreans.

She also started to be their go-to person, much to Manager Choi’s amusement and Young K’s irritation. From where they left their drum sticks, to what they should be having for dinner, to what was next on their itinerary - the boys went to her for solutions.

She has all their individual phone numbers stored in her phone and they have hers stored in theirs.

Slowly and surely, Momo became part of the Day6 family.

 

***

 

“Sungjin-ssi, here you go. Can you pass these around?”

It was 7 in the morning and they were on the move again.

This time to go to a video agency to discuss their comeback video concept.

“What’s this?”

“Breakfast.”

It was her well loved bento of handrolls, onigiri, fried sausages and fruits. 

“Where’s yours?” Young K asked, his eyes nearly tearing at the familiar sight of her beautiful food arrangement.

“I ate at home.”

So, you’ve come to regard the dorm as home, have you? Young K secretly smiled.

They were still not much on speaking terms, despite Young K’s efforts to approach her in private.

Which due to their tight schedule, were few and far between.

“Oh god, this is really good. Thanks so much,” Dowoon said over a mouthful of sausage.

“Yeah, just what we need in the morning,” Sungjin said appreciatively.

Wonpil could only nod in agreement, blissfully eating away.

Momo smiled and passed similar bentos to Manager-Choi and the van driver.

Choi smiled at Young K over Momo’s bent head, silently giving his approval on her presence in their lives.

He has been thoroughly impressed with the girl thus far.

“You noticed that we eat on the run, have you?” Jae asked, from the back of the van.

“Or not eat at all,” Sungjin laughed.

They travel in a normal 8 seater van, with Jae, Dowoon and Wonpil at the back, Young K, Momo and Sungjin in the middle and Choi-hyung seated with the driver in the front.

This girl is astute, Jae thought again. And slowly growing on him.

She was quiet and hardworking. Smart too.

And her Korean was getting less painful to the ears.

Momo nodded, her head turning towards Jae behind Young K.

“I’m sorry if it’s just simple food. But it is filling and better than the bu…” before she could finish her sentence, Young K stuffed one tamago maki in .

Very much like he once did before.

“They’re delicious, thank you,” he said with a sad smile, visible only to Momo. He could only guess the hour Momo woke up just to prepare these for them.

“Itadakimasu,” Momo said belatedly with full. Turning towards the front again, trying her best to hold her tears.

She really missed her Brian-san.

Young K went hot and cold on her.

Yet, her reluctance to talk to him was partly to blame.

The ride went smoothly with the boys tucking away their food.

Very unlike the turbulence in both Young K and Momo’s hearts.