Chapter 20

Brian's Song

Chapter 20

 

“Why is time so slow? Everything is just so annoying; It’s hard – Whatever”

 

7 months later.

 

“Thank you, thank you. You have been a wonderful crowd. Please continue to support us. Thank you!”

With the goodbyes and polite bows, the boys were quickly ushered away from the open air university basketball court towards the bookstore.

They just finished their one hour busking session.

Their second stint at the university since their comeback 6 months ago.

Dongguk was Young K’s university.

Yet, they were not confident enough to book the amphitheater, in fear it would not be filled with enough audience.

So, like before, they settled for the basketball court, which due to its smaller capacity, was filled to the brim with screaming spectators.

DAY6-busking-at-Hongdaecrop.jpg

 

Despite a year and half since their debut, Day6 was still not getting the fame they deserved.

Both their debut and comeback mini albums were highly acclaimed by music critiques, and anticipated by their small group of loyal fans, but they were still not as popular as other idols of their generation.

And that somehow translated to lack of commercial and financial success.

But Day6 was not an idol group.

They were musicians, with full control over their music.

And it was their request to JYP not to be promoted as such.

No heavy makeup, no weird outfits or funky hairdos, no synchronised dancing, no appearances on variety shows.

They even refrained from appearing on music shows because they knew they would have to fake their music performances.

They wanted to be established as real musicians first.

So, they took different routes to promoting themselves.

Singing live on radio shows, doing gigs in small to mid sized concert halls and public buskings, amongst others.

And apart from COEX Mall and Hongdae, Dongguk University was amongst their trusted venues.

Perhaps it was a wrong move on their part; and JYPE for agreeing.

But that was what they had decided, and by hook or by crook, they just have to make it work.

 

***

 

“Bri, look alive,” Jae hissed.

Jae was getting used to seeing his roommate out of character lately.

Ever since he got back from Japan, to be exact.

The normally sweet, compliant Young K, whom Sungjin once described as the most ‘obedient’ of the lot, was now as unpredictable as British weather. Not that the American bred Jae spent any time in England to experience it himself. It just sounded good in his head.

But, like the weather Young K was.

At times stormy and broody, ready to snap at anything in his way; at times dark and forlorn, melancholy at its best; and at times windy and spaced out, lost in his own world.

Like now.

Which was totally unacceptable, given the fact that they had throngs of excited fans waiting for their fansign session.

It was non-stop work for them once Young K got back to Seoul 7 months ago.

With all the songs and lyrics written, they went straight into the studio to prepare their first comeback, then got it launched and followed suit by on-ground promotional activities like today’s busking and fansign sessions.

Jae has always been the erratic nut amongst all 5 of them, but of late, his roommate’s unpredictable behaviour has surpassed even his own.

Luckily, Young K’s moody disposition did not damper his creative streak.

Instead, it only resulted in him churning out endless lyrical proses and melodies; just like Wonpil’s non-stop chatter. Enough for their second comeback.

But in public activities like this, Jae was worried that the fans or organiser were able to notice Young K’s weird behaviour.

Today he was a little cranky and looking trapped.

Craning his neck looking for the door, ready to fled for his life.

Fortunately though, they managed to go through all 150 fans without a hitch.

After which they all adjorned for some refreshments with the university organising committee, at the back of the book store.

 

***

 

“Jae, I need to get something outside,” Young K whispered.

“What? What thing? Now?” Jae asked, lugging his guitar on his back.

He was famished. It was nearly 4 in the afternoon and his last proper meal was breakfast and his attention was all on the buffet table waiting across the room.

 

artworks-000145303609-5vvwh0-t500x500.jpg

 

“Yeah, a book,” Young K nodded. “I need to get a book.”

“What? What’s going on, man?”

Coming from the States, Jae was always more comfortable speaking to Brian in English.

Something was up and Jae was quick to catch on.

“Nothing, just a quick run to the shelves, ok?"

“Are you crazy? The fans will have your neck.”

“I can take care of that. Most of them have left anyways,” Young K started to walk towards the door, leaving his baffled friend behind. “Just cover for me, in here. Yeah? Just for a sec.”

“Ok, make it quick.”

 

***

 

It was her.

His eyes did not play tricks on him.

He saw her when he first walked into the book store; and again while he was fansigning.

He was definitely not dreaming.

Young K was not craning his neck to locate the door, earlier.

He craned his neck to locate his long lost friend.

And there she was.

Stocking some books at the shelves.

Her hair was longer and she looked thinner.

But it was definitely her.

Her name tag said so.

Momose A.

Oh my god, what is she doing here?

Can I hug her? Can I kiss her? Can I take her home with me?

Young K’s mind ran amok with questions.

But no. I can’t.

At least not at that moment.

 

 

Foxi's Notes - Young K is a Business Admin major at Dongguk University while Jae finished his Political Science degree at California States U. They are roomies at their dorm, and while they started a little badly at the beginning of Day6's formation, they soon become fast friends due to their shared US/Canada background. Young K is now 'the originally non-Hangul speaking' Jae's unofficial translater.