Chapter 11

Brian's Song

Chapter 11

 

“On top of my world that’s filled with scribbles (Colors, Colors); With your white hand; Cover me with your color – Colours”

 

He sat on the floor with his feet tucked under him, facing Momose’s parents.

Both hands, palms down, were placed on his knees.

He was dressed in his own clothes of jeans and light sweater that morning.

And his head cleanly shaven.

If not for the dark goatee he was sporting, he would have passed for a Buddhist monk.

A really attractive Buddhist monk.

“Okasan, Otosan, I would like your permission to stay and work here for a short while.”

Young K weirdly felt like he was asking for Momo’s hand in marriage or something, seeing she was also seated on the floor, across him with her parents.

So, belatedly, he changed his salutations.

“Mr and Mrs Aihara-ssi, I owe the family a lot by staying here. You’ve taken care of me when I was sick. I could have died if Momo-chan didn’t find me. I also made those international calls and ate your delicious food. I can’t thank all of you enough.”

He spoke slowly with simple words, giving ample time for Momo to understand and translate for him.

“This is some money to pay for my stay so far,” Young K continued, pushing an envelope across the floor in a polite Japanese fashion towards his hosts. “But like I said, I would like to stay here for a little while more. But I will work to earn my keep.”

At that juncture, the Aiharas started to exchange a conversation between themselves, until Momo turned to address him.

“Brian-san, my parents at first said, you no need work, just stay and pay when you can. But I told them you will not like it that way, so I will get you work at the ski centre with me.”

“Oh? That’ll be awesome,” Young K looked at Momo in relief. “Thank you, thank you so much.”

 

***

 

“Thanks for suggesting that I work with you,” Young K said. “I actually thought of helping around the hostel, even without pay. I don’t see any male helper around.”

“We not big hostel. Cannot afford too many workers. Cannot pay you much. That’s why I work at the ski centre.”

It was Saturday and Momo was free from school for the weekend. Hence, it was the perfect opportunity to take him to the centre. Her shift started at 12 noon in the weekends, instead of the normal 2 pm.

“I see. So sorry to impose on you like this.”

“Uhhmmm, it’s ok,” she shook her head and said the phrase correctly this time.

“It’s quite a long trek to the centre,” Young K commented as they walked briskly in the cold, thankful for the thick jacket, winter boots and socks, his team mates packed for him, “how did you manage to bring me up to the hostel that night?”

“I called Otosan. We want to take you to medical centre but it was late and already closed. Lucky we know the sensei, so we took you home and called him to come.”

“I know I’ve said this before, but thank you again.”

“Ummm…” Momo made the now familiar denial sound as she put her hands up. “I’m sure someone would have helped you. It so happens that someone was me.”

Young K doubt it, but maybe it depends on the location.

It was the first time Young K had a good look at Hakuba.

The ski town was sleepy, quaint and beautiful.

As they trudged along the snowy road, he noticed how the houses interspersed with tourists’ accommodation, a good way of making them feel as part of the town instead of guests.

As winter season was nearing its end, some parts the snowy landscape were already melting, making the roads slippery and dangerous.

He frowned thinking of Momo walking alone at night after work in such conditions.

He did not know why, but this girl raised his protective instincts.

Let’s face it, Bri, you haven’t been close to girl in a long time, if ever, disregarding that futile crush you had at high school.

Any girl would raise your tarzan instincts automatically.

None the less, as he grabbed Momo’s sleeve at a certain slippery part of the road, he was glad thinking he would be walking her home at night from now onwards.

But til when? Young K suddenly asked himself.

 

***

 

“Here we are.”

Young K looked around him as they stopped in front of the centre.

It was respectable in size, with a considerable hum of activities going on.

“Is your ski cap on properly?” Momo looked up at him.

Earlier, they decided to minimise attention on him and his bald head with a ski cap.

Or rather Momo did.

She was getting used to seeing him bald, from the night before.

But instead of making him unattractive, his lack of hair only esencuate his chisled features and good looks.

So, she decided a ski cap will somewhat tone down his appearance. Though after putting it on, she seriously did not think they achieved much by it.

Regardless, she helped pull the cap further down his head, still not really getting to their original objective.

“Gosh, how am I gonna deal with Yuki,” she muttered to herself in Japanese.

“What?”

“Uumm… nothing, come on,”

 

***

 

“Who’s this?”

A tall, long haired girl asked, checking Young K up with unabashed interest.

“He’s a guest at my place,” Momo answered, looking around for the Manager, “I’m asking Kaicho if we can give him work.”

The girl started to speak to him Japanese.

“He can’t understand you,” Momo replied her. “He’s Korean.”

“Korean..!” the girl did a double take and scrutinised him as if he was a lab specimen.

“Uhuh, he’s staying with us and just need to earn enough to get a ticket home.”

I’m not really lying, right? Momo thought to herself. It’s for Brian-san’s benefit anyways.

“Ah so.” The girl continued to check him out, the interested gleam in her eyes made Momo a little uncomfortable.

Maybe I should have kept him hidden at the hostel, she thought.

“Brian-san, this is Yuki, my workmate,” Momo started before being interrupted by a holler.

“Mo-chan..! You’re early today,” an excited male puppy came yelping in.

Well, a puppy at least in Young K’s narrowed eyes.

He could not really understand their conversation but he could recognise a love sick puppy when he saw one.

“Naoki, meet my friend and border at the hostel, Brian-san,” Momo spoke in Japanese still.

Then, for Brian’s sake, she introduced Naoki to him in English.

Like Brian’s, Naoki’s eyes automatically narrowed at the introduction.

And as curt as it was, Naoki thoroughly dismissed him to interrogate Momo.

But from what he could see, Momo remained relaxed and even tried to ignore her two workmates’ questions.

“Aaah… Kaicho!” Momo exclaimed when she saw her Manager. “Brian- san, you wait here, ok.”

And before he could say anything, the little whirlwind went off without him.

Leaving him with two curious pair of eyes.

Which he tried to meet with a polite smile.

Never has Young K felt unsettled by a puberscent mongrel and frisky siamese kitten in his life.

And it was a good half hour before Momo came back.

“Ok, you got a job,” she grinned.