Chapter 53

Brian's Song

Chapter 53

 

“Only your love; Makes the frozen me; Jump up again; Higher higher; higher baby – Better Better”

 

The day of the final Every Day6 concert and official closure came.

The boys and crew were on their toes, praying that everything goes as planned.

They have been giving their body, heart and soul for this moment.

What started as just a spur of a moment suggestion for a year long project has gotten them this far.

The Olympic Hall outing was a dream come true for them. 

The 3000 pax capacity stadium was packed to the brim.

From a band that just managed to pull a 100 odd crowd at busking sessions just over a year ago, the feat was by no means small.

My Days came in from far and wide, both local and international to lend support and celebrate with their multi-talented idols.

The boys’ immediate family members were given priority seats in the audience, while a section of the balcony seats were filled with JYP artistes as well as idols from other companies, who have come to lend support to the boys.

Their own company president, JYP, who has been instrumental in guiding their music creation processes, was in the VIP seats with several investors and industry stronghold.

The Every Day6 project has been a huge success and this concert was an icing on the cake. The rise in the company bank accounts was the proof.

However, with the Young K-Momo picture scandal, the investors were questioning the discipline of the boys.

JYP managed to convinced his stakeholders that the picture incident was a fluke and the two were too tired delivering the project that they fell asleep that way.

And to prove how huge Day6 has become through the risky project, JYP brought them all in to witness the grand closure of his breakthrough 2017 project.

Day6 have worked really hard preparing for this closure. They will be singing all their songs from all 3 older albums as well as the newly realeased fourth one, Moonrise.

Apart from that, each one of them will do solo or duo performances too.

A full hour before Day6 were scheduled to appear on stage, the fans were let into the stadium and were tirelessly chanting their names or singing along to their music videos.

When the time came, Day6 had their ritual prayers and group hug, first with Manager Choi and their two Cordis, then another with just themselves.

Then, the boys trooped out in the dark onto the stage.

They were apprehensive yet excited at the same time.

The lights illuminated by My Days’ mobile phones or light sticks, simply overwhelmed them.

They stood in awe as My Days expressed their love for Day6 through their screams, chants and sing along.

 

thebestdays.png

 

With complete love and adulation.

This was what all the five boys have wished for.

What they have all worked hard for, ever since their trainee days.

They did not know what to expect when they first joined JYP.

But certainly not to be formed into a band, with full control over their music and career direction.

They owe a lot to their fans.

But they owe equally to their company and the people who worked within it.

They owe a lot to their family and friends too.

And the boys knew that as much as My Days deserved the same amount of love and respect that they as Day6 have received, the JYPE family deserved the same too.

Honouring My Days, whether saseang or not, need to go hand in hand with My Days respecting the privacy of the Day6 family and crew as well.

Day6 has always been different from other idol groups, and the boys wanted My Days to understand and accept that.

That while the Day6 music and performances belonged to My Days, and My Days alone, the individual Day6 member’s private lives… did not.

That Day6 will not be governed by the same fanatical rules that the k-pop world seemed to adhere by.

They do not want a repeat of the Junhyeok treatment, and that Young K too would have to leave due to some scandal, that did not affect the quality of their music or performances whatsoever.

It happened to Junhyeok and now to Young K.

It would only be a matter of time when it would befell Sungjin, Jae, Wonpil or Dowoon too.

So, as the boys stared out in front of them, they knew exactly what they have to do.

Hence, instead of the opening beat of I Wait, at Sungjin’s ‘hana, dul, set’, the lights went up.

Giving spotlight on all the five of them on stage.

 

***

 

“What’s happening?” One of the JYPE investors asked.

“Aaahh… I believe the boys want to thank their fans first, before they start the show,” JYP quickly improvised, hiding his own surprise.

Backstage, Manager Choi asked the same question, knowing this was not how they practiced the opening.

“I don’t know. The boys requested this,” said the back stage hand, making the Manager suddenly sweat with worry.

Momo looked on with apprehension, twisting her hands and she looked at the boys on the stage.

 

suzupensive.png

 

They stood in the face of their audience, side by side at the edge of the stage, with their hands clasped with one another.

To accommodate the capacity, the concert stage was built in a T design, with a long walkway leading to an adjascent portion, that took them straight to the heart of the hall.

And there they stood, in the middle of the sea of spectators.

Sungjin stood in the middle with Jae and Young K flanking him, and the two maknaes on the outer sides.

“My Days, yoerobun,” Sungjin began, automatically silencing the crowd.

“Before we proceed, we’d like to observe a minute of silence for our dear brother and Day6 member, Im Junhyeok to honour his recent passing.”

JYP nodded his approval silently, understanding for this unforeseen opening.

And the crowd and everyone back stage remained silent for a whole minute.

After the moment of silence, Sungjin started addressing the crowd.

“Our dear My Days,

We cannot even begin to think of how to thank you for your love and support these past three years.

We will not be standing here if not for you.

Your love and encouragement has given us the strength to perservere in this industry and it is our only goal is to return you that love through our music.”

The crowd still remained silent, wanting to listen to their leader clearly, knowing this speech was not part of their normal routine.

“We have grown strength to strength, this past year.

All our appearances and song releases have help made us better in delivering the music and sounds, that we hope, you have grown to love.

Although, we have only grown in popularity this year, we know that some of you have been with us from the very start of our journey.

And for that we are truly honoured and very very grateful.”

The crowd roared in appreciation for Sungjin’s words.

The leader allowed for a short euphoric, but raised his hands after a while to quiet the crowd down, indicating that they were not done with the speech.

“My dear My Days, I’m sure you’re well aware of the scandal that has hit us recently.”

And whatever excited chatter that was still there, died down completely.

“Some have supported us, while some have criticised us.

That is, of course, to be expected.

We duly apologise if we have disappointed you in any way.”

This dialogue was prompted by Young K after the Momo-incident, and the boys all agreed to it, thinking how it was appropriate for Junhyeok too, and their future. And as a show of unity, they decided that only Sungjin would speak.

We are not as big as some of our peers in the industry, but none the less, whether our supporters are big or small, our duties to you remain the same. We clearly know that we have a duty to be good role models to you, and we promise that we will continue to be good role models to you.

People will try to bring us down with fake pictures or slanders, but we’re sure, if you know us well enough, My Days would know how to differentiate the truth from the lies.”

The crowd was still silent.

So, were JYP and his investors as well as all the production crew.

But Sungjin was clearly not finished.

“Unlike the earlier fake pictures that were strewn around, unfortunately we have to admit that the latest picture was legit. It was taken by one of us as a keepsake, but was unfortunately leaked by those who had ill intentions on us.”

The crowd gasped, surprised that Day6 would be so frank with such a revelation.

The idols who came to support them too held their breath.

“Oh my god…” Manager Choi wiped his sweat at Sungjin’s words.

Cordi Kim came silently to stand beside her husband, slipping her hand to grip his.

“But let us assure you, that there is nothing for us to be ashamed of. There was nothing wrong with the scene between Young K and the lady in the picture, except to be caught in their hours of rest.

The lady is our cordi. She has been with us for over a year now.”

A group of fans started booing, before being to shut it by another group of fans.

So Sungjin perseverend and continued his speech, in his proud Busan accent.

“She is our teacher, noona, dongseng, chingu, omma, family – all rolled into one.

You may think we are lying, but there wouldn’t have been an Every Day6 project if not for her.”

Sungjin paused, wanting the statement to sink in with the audience.

“She made sure we rest and eat well, get up on time, dress good, communicate well and much much more. So that we can be the best that we are… for you.

And we… all five of us… love her.”

“What are they doing?” Momo asked, her eyes wide with fear. Her heart beating so fast with worry.

“It looks like they’re sticking up for you,” Cordi Kim grinned in wonder. “Yobo, that is so romantic.”

Manager Choi frowned and smiled at the same time, not really sure where this speech will take his boys.

But he knew how the boys felt, as he himself found relying on Momo’s efficient work more than often, the past year.

“Although she works in this industry,” the leader continued. “she is not a celebrity.”

The other four boys stood silently beside him, steadfastly standing their ground in front of their fans, fellow colleagues who have come to watch their concert, as well as their management in the VIP seats.

Their hands almost bloodless by clenching each others’ so tightly.

“That picture is not what you think it is.

So please leave her be.

Do not harrass her.

She’s very important to us, and we would be very upset if she is hurt in any way.”

“And this…,” Sungjin paused to make the words sink, “applies to any of our family and friends, at any point of time, too.

Like you, our family, our friends and our support team - they form the backbone to Day6.

Just like you, they are My Days too.

Just like you, without them, there will be no Day6.”

Manager Choi shook his head in realisation.

“They’re not only fighting for Mo-chan. They’re sticking up for all of us.”

It was a warning of sorts, yet asked in the most pleading way, Choi thought. It was also a stern reminder that they did not wish for a repeat fo the Junhyeok incident. That their beloved brother had to leave the band, at the pressure of the fans.

“Again, My Days, you mean the world to us.

So, we hope you’d love us enough to understand and accept us as we are, including those behind Day6 that you do not see.

- Some of us speak really bad hangul, and some are comfortable only in satoori

- Some of us are impulsive imps, and some are cry babies 

- Some of us give really bad aegyos ... and some of us... already have special someones in our hearts.”

Sungjin paused again, wanting the fans to understand their subtle message.

“But we all have two things in common,” the leader continued, “our love for all My Days and our desire to create great music for you.

And we promise to work even harder in the future to give you more of the music you have come to love, as how we have loved creating them for you.

So, please, believe in us, do forgive us and accept us as we are.”

And with that, all five of them bent down by the waists, paying their utmost respect to their fans.

 

DYDqlybVMAA4ax_.jpg

Giving My Days the public apology some of them demanded.

Hoping again for their understanding and acceptance.

The boys knew this was a gamble.

But it was a gamble they simply have to take.

And the silence was deafening.

The management and JYP sat silently, not knowing what to make out of this turn around.

The other idols in the crowd sadly shook their heads, knowing Day6 has dug their own graves with the speech, regardless of how heartfelt or profound it was.

“Uri poor Day6,” Baek A-yeon whispered, unshed tears in her eyes.

A-yeoni who seated with other JYPE family in the audience. She and all the Twice girls, Jimin of After School Club, Got7 boys and Stray Kids were gripping each others' hands tightly like their brothers on stage.

It was a real pity, they thought, because in their eyes, Day6 was in a class of their own.

A talent to be admired, envied and emulated.

Yet now, the silence was almost earie as everyone in Olympic Hall held their breath, waiting for the next outcome.

And then…

A lone voice called out.

“Kwenchana, kwenchana.”

Followed by another.

“Kwenchana, kwenchana.”

And another.

“Kwenchana, kwenchana.”

Until the whole stadium concurred and chanted the same.

“Kwenchana, kwenchana.”

“Young K kwenchana, Cordi kwenchana, Day6 kwenchana!”

“Kwenchana, kwenchana.”

“Kwenchana, kwenchana.”

The boys slowly raised their head up, not believeing their ears.

The lights from the audience phones and light sticks went crazy as the chant became louder.

“Kwenchana, kwenchana!”

“Kwenchana, kwenchana!”

Tears were practically streaming down all the boys’ faces.

Including the normally stoic Jae’s.

“Kamsahamnida, kamsahamnida,” Sungjin whispered at first, before calling out louder. “Kamsahamnida, kamsahamnida ! My Days, you are the best! You are our lives!”

And all five boys raised their linked hands, before bowing a full 90 degree once again as a show of respect.

DXilL-GVwAAmHBu.jpg

“Kamsamhamnida..! Kamsamhamnida..!”

And the crowd went wild, ending the chant with a thunderous applause.

The boys raised up to look the crowd with overwhelmed feelings.

Their tears and emotions overflowing.

Then, looking at one another, Jae shouted, “Ok! Now, let’s get on with the show!”

“Yeah, yeah!” Young K gave his familiar whoop.

As the boys rushed to take their places on the inner stage, the crowd screamed their approval and anticipation.

And Momo finally released the breath she did not know she was holding.

 

***

And what a show it was.

It was alll three hours of power packed performance of the all their songs, favourite covers, their individual stages and much more.

And as a tribute, the boys ended their show by sitting on the outer stage to listen to MyDays singing.

imagesOHDPPTGM.jpg

 

After saying their thank yous, Day6 took their mandatory wefies with the fans.

 

IMG_5644.JPG

And lastly, to show their love and gratitude for the project organisers as a whole, the boys called out to all their family and crew to join them on the stage finale.

“My Days, please give your utmost love to those who has made this awesome project a total success! Uri Day6 family and crew!” Jae shouted.

“Our Marketing team!

Our Logistics crew!

Our Production Oppas!”

At the mention, each group came onto the stage to roaring applause.

“And our wonderful Manager and Cordis!”

At that announcement Manager Choi turned towards Momo and beckoned for her to join them.

Momo simply smiled and shook her head.

It was better for her not to join them on stage, she thought.

Manager Choi and Cordi Kim smiled sadly, knowing the rationale of her decision and ran out with their stylists and makeup artistes to the stage to join the others.

Momo was crying like a baby, and felt like her heart was gong to burst and jump out of her rib cages.

She was so proud of them.

This glory was truly well deserved.

It did not matter if she could not be on stage with them, the feeling was the same non the less.

She was grinning amidst her tears of joy… until she heard a throat cleared beside her.

suzu4.jpg

It was the reverred JYP himself.

“President-nim,” she bowed at the waist to greet him, hiccupping suddenly to stop her crying.

He simply smiled at her and put his hand out.

Inviting her to take it.

And how could she refused.

And with her small hand in his, JYP jogged out onto the stage to another round of thunderous cries and claps.

Even the team and the boys on stage did not expect their own President to grace their stage.

Each of them bowed as the President walked towards them.

The boys could not stop gaping.

They did not expect him to come, much less with Momo.

The president lifted the hand that was holdng Momo’s to acknowledge the jubilant crowd, before handing her to the boys.

And the crowd went crazy.

And while he gave his thanks to the investors, the supporting idols and fans, the boys took turns to hug Momo, ecstatic she was able to join them on stage after all.

And they ended the night with a group welfie, captured to commemorate the momentous event.

 

 

 

 

 

Foxi's Note - The Every Day6 project ended not with their December concert, but with a surprise 'The Best Moments' concert in March 2018 at the Olympic Hall. I had the finale concert for Brian's Song set in Dec cos I dun want to drag the story further.... hu hu. As I mentioned, it was a great leap from their usual 100 pax buskings to their 300 Bug Hall outing to the 500 odd people at Yonsei Centennial Hall, culminating with the 3000 crowd at Olympic Hall.

 

Sigh...I'm such a proud momma :D

 

These are the links to the boys' individual performances. 

Jae & Sungjin - https://youtu.be/w29efz8wAgY

Young K - https://youtu.be/JwSsBn4Qzuw

Wonpil - https://youtu.be/00Nc2S8Kid4

Dowoon - https://youtu.be/nROGUNh-IYM

 

Their fellow JYPNation supporting them - https://youtu.be/m581H5-aatI

 

& the beautiful singin by My Days for the boys - https://youtu.be/MjVJwkIct0Q

 

Credit goes to the respctive uploaders.