Negotiation

Sunspot

☀️

“And just how long will it take for you to go back ‘home’?” Mr. Kim asked Baekhyun.

1 2… The boy started to count with his fingers.

“2 months.” He finally replied.

The father glared at him and scrutinized his whole body.

“You’re not some spy or psychopath are you?” He asked him.

Regardless of the older man’s seemingly insulting gesture, Baekhyun showed him his most innocent grin and said, “No, ajussi. We people from the sun avoid all forms of violence”

Mr. Kim sighed – frustrated to hear more about this crazy kid being an alien.

“OK. We’ll let you stay for 2 months.” He sternly told him.

“APPA!” Eunhee shouted in disagreement. “You can’t just let him stay here!”

He’s obviously out of his mind! She mouthed to him.

“I’m not a pyscho.” Baekhyun retaliated. “I’m telling the truth.” He added with a pout.

“Appa…” She called again, sounding more desperate than before.

“THEN THROW HIM OUT IN THE STREETS! LET HIM SUE YOU FOR ASSAULT AND KIDNAPPING AND RUIN OUR FAMILY NAME!” Her mother exploded in words.

Eunhee was left speechless after what her mother said. All she could do then was to raise her arms straight and sigh.

“It’s settled then.” Mr. Kim declared. “Yeobo. My cellphone.” He asked her.

 “If you don’t mind, Baekhyun-ssi.” He said to him as he started recording what they were about to say next.

Their father cleared his throat and began speaking close to his phone.

“Mr. Byeol--” He started.

“Byun.” The boy corrected.

“Mr. Byun Baekhyun will stay at the Kim’s residence for 2 months. In return, he will not sue any of Mr. Kim Hongtae’s family for the incident that occurred last July 9, 2018. This includes myself, Kim Eunhee, Kim Eunho, and my wife, Kim Taehee.”

Once Mr. Kim finished his statement, he held the phone closer to Baekhyun for his part of the oral contract.

The self-proclaimed alien, however, stared at him blankly.

“Repeat after me.” Their father said. “I, Byun Baekhyun, confirm everything Mr. Kim said.”

“I, Byun Baekhyun, confirm everything Mr. Kim said.”

With a big satisfied smile on his face, Mr. Kim stopped recording and stood from his seat.

“Yeobo, you handle the rest. I’m going to release my morning load.” He told his wife as he left the room.

“You two.” She called to her kids as she stood up. “You can get up now. And you..” She said; looking at Baekhyun. “Follow me.”

“Umma…” Eunhee called; expecting her mom to take her side.

Instead, her mother let out a sigh. “You heard your father.” She told her. “So stop pouting and get up. You have chores to do.”

“Just get up while umma is being calm.” Eunho whispered to his little sister and lent his hand to help her stand.

With no one to lean onto, Eunhee had no other choice but to wait for 2 months to pass by as quickly as possible and forget this whole fiasco ever happened.