A Gift From Earth

Sunspot

☀️

“Well?” she asked, trying to read her friends’ blank expressions.

Jiyoung raised her hand to in awe. “I…” She started to murmur.

Baekhyun, on the other hand, fidgeted with his ears as if they’re clogged with water.

“I’m hopeless, aren’t I?” Eunhee asked, feeling discouraged by the audience’s reaction.

“Now I know why you never sing with me during karaoke nights…” Jiyoung indirectly replied.

Eunhee grunted. “Forget it. I’ll tell Mr. Lee tomorrow to find another student to embarrass.” She said, picking up her bag as she headed for the door.

“NO WAIT.”  Jiyoung shouted before blocking the door with her body. “We can fix this. You just need to learn.”

“She’s right.” Baekhyun added. “You let me stay at your home… I will do everything I can to teach you.” He finished with determination.

“Is it even possible to fix my voice?” She asked with a sigh.

“Of course.” Jiyoung replied with a comforting smile, surprised to see her usually confident friend feel insecure. “I’ll search all night for a solution if I have to.”

Eunhee softly laughed at her dedicated friend. “Thanks, Jiyoung.”

 

“You sure you don’t want a lift?” Jiyoung asked her friend from the passenger seat of her car.

She smiled and shook her head. “It’s fine. You already bought our tickets. Plus, I live in the opposite direction.”

Her friend sighed. “Okay…  be careful and don’t talk to strangers, alright?”

Eunhee chuckled. “You’re actually worried about me?”

She laughed back. “I was talking to Baekhyun.”

“You take care too, Jiyoung.” He cheerfully replied nonetheless and waved her goodbye, not knowing his pride was attacked.

The two then set off on their own path towards home.

 

“It’s getting dark…” Baekhyun nervously mumbled as he looked at the darkening sky above them.

Eunhee looked at the boy with concern. “I have something to give you.” She told him, removing one strap of her backpack from her shoulder to reach inside of it.

“What is it?” The alien asked.

“Here.” She said, handing the unfamiliar object to him. “It’s a flashlight.”

She giggled at how the oblivious alien tinkered with the light.

“You turn it on here.” She instructed and pressed the button for him. “You press that again to turn it off.”

His eyes glowed along with the flashlight. “Wow~” he reacted.

Eunhee took the long strap of the flashlight and wore it around his neck “I added this so you won’t lose it.” She pointed out.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun replied, beaming at her. “Thank you so much!” He repeated and hugged her without a warning.

This time, she didn’t push him away or yelled at him for crossing her personal space.

Instead, she hugged him back.

“Now let’s go home.”

He nodded, still gleaming with joy.

 

The two walked side by side until they reached an intersection.

Eunhee stopped her steps upon seeing the “don’t walk” sign blinking across the street.

The alien, however, continued to walk as he fiddled with his flashlight.

“BAEKHYUN WAIT!” She shouted at him.

But before he could turn around to face his friend, a blindingly bright light from a car quickly drew near him.

“BAEKHYUN!!”