A Very Special Power

Sunspot

☀️

“See that?” Baekhyun asked her; pointing at the unlit light post at the end of the block.

Eunhee set her eyes to where the alien’s finger directed. “Yeah. So?”

 “I’ll turn it on.” He told her and opened his palm towards the post.

“That’s impossible.” She said with a chuckle. “That light post has been broken for ages! AND how on earth are you going to turn it on from here?”

The alien snickered like a comic villain. “Just you wait.” He told her and lifted his head high; showering sunlight on his face.

“What are you doing?” She asked.

“I’m absorbing the light from the sun.” He answered with his eyes closed.

Eunhee gave him a strange look. “Why?” She continued asking.

“It will give me strength.” He replied once more. “Now be quiet. I need to concentrate.”

She rolled her eyes at his unbelievable words; yet gladly waited for something to happen.

.

.

.

Eunhee’s jaw dropped.

Her eyes grew big and her mind went blank.

The broken light post lit up. Its white glow spread as far as the concrete sidewalk parallel to it.

“Do you believe me now?” He beamed at her; immensely proud of what he had just shown her.

The human girl was speechless.

“Now that I’ve shown you my powers, you have to grant me a wish.” Baekhyun reminded her with a satisfied chuckle.

“h-how…” She uttered in disbelief.

Their alien guest laughed at Eunhee’s reaction. “I have photokinesis.” He started to explain.

“photo—what?” She mumbled.

“Photokinesis. It’s the ability to control light. Only sunspots can do it.” He further elaborated.

Eunhee’s face shrank into bewilderment as she struggle to understand what the odd boy was saying.

“And what exactly is a sunspot?” She asked with her brows curved – knowing that asking such question would only lead to deeper confusion.

Baekhyun reached inside his shirt and took out his necklace. “That’s what we are called in our planet. I am a sunspot.” He gladly answered – showing off his golden sun-shaped pendant.

The human girl sighed. She didn’t know whether to believe that he’s truly an alien or that he’s just a very convincing crazy person.

“Are you still unconvinced after showing you my powers?” He asked her; noticing her puzzled expression. “I know it’s hard to believe since I look like you humans… but only a sunspot can control light and become weak at the absence of it.”

Eunhee looked into the alien’s eyes, searching for answers beyond mere words.

“I’m telling you the truth, Eunhee-ssi.” He gently told her and looked back at her with his almond puppy eyes.

What are you… really… She mentally murmured.