Wish It's Me

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

The moment I saw her at the door, I dropped the bottle of water that I was holding onto. For a moment, everyone’s attention was drawn to me as the water splattered onto the floor. I quickly grabbed a piece of cloth at the corner of the room to clean up the clumsy mess.

 

“Hyuna, what are you doing here?” Jun Hyung spoke up first and walked across me to greet Hyuna automatically.

 

He even held her hands to lead her to the members. Hyuna bowed humbly to all of us since she was the youngest. Hyuna was in CUBE Entertainment before I was. She’s sort of my senior in showbiz and I couldn’t believe she was only like nineteen or something.

 

Hyuna smiled brightly and sat down with Jun Hyung. “Ah, I brought you guys some food. I heard that you guys have been practising since morning so I brought lunch!” Hyuna announced happily and took out the food from the bags, “I brought chicken, pizza, noodles…”

 

The members were elated and I sat beside Yo Seob who was already grabbing the first chicken drumstick from the box. He stopped talking and started gobbling on the food. I took one piece of pizza meekly and started chewing. Occasionally, I would peek through my eyes and look at Hyuna – who was in turn looking at Jun Hyung. She took some noodles and gave it to Jun Hyung who appreciated her concern.

 

“That’s totally unfair. We got junk food but Jun Hyung got his favourite noodles instead. Hyuna, how could you?” Doo Joon complained as he took a quick look at the bowl of noodles.

 

Hyuna stuck out her tongue and gave a reason, “I was just passing by Jun Hyung’s favourite noodles shop so I just bought it for him. You guys don’t like noodles much anyway.”

 

“I love noodles… more than Jun Hyung loves noodles.” Doo Joon glared at her.

 

Hyuna was confused and looked at Jun Hyung. “Really?” She asked Jun Hyung for confirmation. Jun Hyung just ate his food and nodded at her. She giggled sheepishly and apologised, “Sorry, Doo Joon. I’ll buy you some noodles next time, alright?”

 

If only…

 

If only the noodles were for me.

 

“Hyun Seung!” She called out for my name.

 

I flinched when I heard her voice and looked up. She gave a small smile and asked, “Why aren’t you eating much? You look very tired. You should eat more.” She opened a can of coke and handed it to me, “Here. This is for you!”

 

“Thank you.” I took the can graciously and saw that her eyes were back onto Jun Hyung again. My smile fell as she focused on Jun Hyung. The way she looked at Jun Hyung was different from the way she looked at me. I swore I saw Jun Hyung winked at her too. She just thought of me who was someone from the same company and nothing else.

 

The short lunch ended and Hyuna had to leave because of a schedule. The members cleared up the place and I offered to throw out the rubbish outside. I held onto the plastics bags and went out of the door. I was just strolling down the hallway when I heard the familiar voice behind me again, “Hyun Seung! Hyun Seung!”

 

I turned around and asked Hyuna, “Oh… yes?” I hoped she didn’t think I was being unfriendly. It was just because she had never talked to me other than in variety shows or something. It was not because she didn’t want to be close but I refused any contact with her. I felt nervous around her. I was just contented looking at her from afar.

 

She hesitated for a moment and said, “Do you need help throwing out the bag?”

 

About to snatch the bag away from me, I quickly flinched away and looked back at her, “Is there something you want to tell me?” I knew she wouldn’t be so strange to help me carry a few bags that were less than 3 kilos light.

 

She avoided my eyes and was hesitating to whether talk to me. When she was about to walk away and forget about it, I prompted her further, “Is it about… Jun Hyung?”

 

Her face became stiff when I hit on the nail.

 

“Are the two of you together?” I murmured, wondering if she heard my question.

 

“Wow, Hyun Seung, you can read me like an open book. There’s nothing I can hide from you.” She commented and stuck out her tongue again. I was not confirmed whether she was referring to the first or second question. Nevertheless, she admitted her true feelings for Jun Hyung to me.

 

Of course, Hyuna, you can’t hide your feelings towards Jun Hyung too. You can’t hide that from me either, I thought in my head.

 

“I was just wondering…” She trailed off and cleared . She started again but this time, I couldn’t get what she was saying, “IWASJUSTWONDERINGIFYOUCOULDASKJUNHYUNGOUTFORMEONMYBIRTHDAY!”

 

“What?” I was taken aback by her fast talking. She seemed pretty nervous about it. After comprehending what she was saying, I answered her by nodding, “Oh… that.” My heart was feeling a little disappointed by her request.

 

She didn’t want to talk to me. She wanted to talk to me – about Jun Hyung.

 

Before saying anything, I asked out of curiosity, “Aren’t you celebrating with the members?”

 

She shook her head and said, “The members would be at Japan while I’m summing up my solo promotions. I’ll be all alone.” She pouted and put on a sad face. I knew she wanted her members to celebrate her birthday since her parents weren’t living in Seoul.

 

“You still have me.” I muttered through my breath.

 

Hyuna tilted her head and asked, “What did you say?”

 

“Oh, nothing.” I gave her a weak smile and asked another question, “Don’t mind me but why Jun Hyung?”

 

Suddenly, Hyuna’s face was flushed red and she bit her lips, “Hyun Seung, please don’t ask that sort of question…”

 

“So you really like him.” I didn’t even have to ask her. I was being too straight-forward because she playfully slapped my chest after being embarrassed by me. It was the first time she touched me. Okay, it was just a slight slap but enough to make my heart skipped a beat.

 

It was adorable to see her like that – being bashful and sweet. I sighed and nodded, “I’ll ask him for you.”

 

She clapped her hands and grabbed my shoulders, “Thank you, Hyun Seung! Thank you, thank you! You’re the best! I promise to treat you ice cream okay?”

 

“But I don’t like…” I hadn’t had the chance to finish my sentence and she took away the trash bags from my hands.

 

“I’ll throw all these for you!” Hyuna waved the bags at me and left the hallway.

 

I sighed and went back to the dance room.

 

I finished my sentence by myself, “But I don’t like ice cream.”