Back To You

A Few Tentative Steps

|29 November 2011|

 

HyunA & Hyunseung’s kiss stunt at ‘2011 MAMA’ was “lip to cheek”

 

“Trouble Maker”duo HyunAand Hyunseunghave worked up quite the storm after heating up the stage at the 2011 Mnet Asian Music Awards, shocking everyone with a sensual kissin the middle of an intimate dance sequence.

 

However, scandalized fans can seek solace in a recent statement by a CUBE official, who confirmed that the HyunA and Hyunseung didn’t actually lock lips during their performance. “The kiss was not lip to lip, but actually lip to cheek.

 

The kiss was a decision made by the directors before the performance,” the representative went on to clarify. “This stage was special because it was a place to wrap up the successes of this past year and also debut a new unit collaboration. It was after the agreement with the directors that this kiss stunt was developed.

 

The group is scheduled to debut on December 1st.

 

-

 

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

“Lip to cheek…” Jun Hyung scoffed, “Seriously?”

 

I sat down at the café with Jun Hyung alone for the first time after a long cold war with him. I stayed silent for a few seconds before explaining, “It’s the CEO’s decision. We both know it’s not a lip to cheek. I did kiss her.”

 

“Aish, Hyun Seung-ah…” Jun Hyung shook his head but remained smiling, “You are beyond my expectations. I never knew you were capable of such things.”

 

I laughed at his remark and answered, “You never knew that I was that rash right?” I used the word Hyuna described me as. I could never forget the day she got angry when I kissed her without thinking of the consequences and landed us in this situation.

 

“No, that’s not what I meant.” Jun Hyung surprised me with that, “I never knew you were that capable to express your feelings for someone you truly love.”

 

My eyes widened as he said that. His expression looked relieved and disappointed at the same time. He continued, “I thought I had the upperhand. I thought everything’s within my control. I thought Hyuna would come back to me again and things would stay the same as before.”

 

He stared at the sky outside the window, “I was wrong. I overestimated myself. I hurt two girls that I truly cared for unknowingly.”

 

“Don’t worry about Hyuna. She’s fine now and moving on with her life.” I said to him, erasing all of our bad blood between each other. I could tell Jun Hyung regretted every single he had done, “Jun Hyung, don’t think about it.”

 

Jun Hyung leaned back on his chair and sighed, “I’m not worried about Hyuna… because she’s in your hands now. I trust you can take care of her better than I do. Hyuna will be happy with you.”

 

I looked down and gave a weak smile. Hyuna said she did not want to think of relationship issues for now so technically, she’s not in my hands. Instead of answering him, I changed the subject, “Since you’re not worried about Hyuna, then you’re worried about…”

 

I left my sentence hanging to allow him to fill in the last word.

 

“Hara.”

 

“How did she take the break up?”  I asked with concern for Hara.

 

“She was the one who broke up with me.”

 

“What? I thought you…”

 

“I know, I’m always the bad guy,” He tried to make a joke and lightened the mood.

 

“What happened?” I was curious right now. Although we were good friends, I never probed into his relationship with Hara.

 

Jun Hyung’s eyes became sorrowful that I felt like comforting him straight away, “She said she could tell I wasn’t treating her with all my heart. Hara is observant. She said my heart was occupied with someone else and she was willing to let me go.” He stared up to me and ended off, “She said she did not want a guy who doesn’t love her 100%.”

 

“Hara is so… admirable,” I commented, “She’s willing to sacrifice her happiness for someone… like you.”

 

“Isn’t she just like you?” Jun Hyung shot back at me and smirked.

 

“Aren’t you going to talk to her again?” I prompted.

 

Jun Hyung did not hesitate, “Unlikely. I don’t want to risk getting her hurt again.” However, his smile faded and he murmured, “But if I were to go back in time again, I would never agree to the break up. I wished I hadn’t. I wished I hadn’t made all the mistakes I have made. Am I such a fickle-minded and shallow person, Hyun Seung?”

 

“Yes, you are.”

 

That was not me. Jun Hyung jolted up after hearing that. He looked at me with confusion. I raised my eyebrow and pointed at something behind him. Jun Hyung turned around to see what I was pointing to.

 

Behind Jun Hyung, Hyuna was there. Hyuna smiled and dragged someone out of the corner – Hara.

 

Hara had spoken a moment ago.

 

Jun Hyung stood up right away, “Hara!”

 

Hara was hesitant with her movements, “Hyuna. I...” Hyuna nodded at Hara to give her a form of encouragement. I had planned this with Hyuna to allow Jun Hyung and Hara to solve their problems face-to-face. Hyuna slowly made her way to us with her hands holding onto Hara.

 

I put one hand on Jun Hyung’s shoulder. “I am not the right person to answer your question,” I looked at Hara and Jun Hyung followed, “She is.” Jun Hyung did not look away from Hara. I patted his shoulder, “Have a good talk together. Don’t lose this chance anymore, Jun Hyung.”

 

Hyuna let go of Hara’s hand. Jun Hyung stepped forward to Hara and asked meekly, “You heard everything I said?”

 

Hara nodded, not giving in to Jun Hyung.

 

“Let’s go.” I signalled Hyuna.

 

Hyuna nodded and left with me. Suddenly, she hooked her arms with me randomly. I stiffened up a little but continued walking until we reached a nearby café. She giggled when she found out I was slightly nervous from her touch.

 

“Idiot.” She mumbled while grinning from ear to ear.

 

-

 

“Hyun Seung! Hyun Seung!” She slapped on my arm repeatedly.

 

I retrieved my hand back and whined, “Ouch! It hurts!”

 

“They’re hugging! They’re hugging! They have reconciled!” Hyuna cheered as she continued to see through her binoculars.

 

With a frowning expression, I complained, “Hyuna, you look like a stalker with the binoculars. Stop prying on their business. It’s weird!”

 

“Aish, I’m worried Jun Hyung would screw up everything. I need to know what they are doing!” Hyuna said without looking at me or feeling ashamed of her actions. No wonder she wanted to come to this café.

 

I took away the binoculars and she screamed at me.

 

“Since they’re fine now, I think you should spare them some privacy.” I claimed.

 

Hyuna nodded and leaned back to her chair, feeling extremely relaxed. She exclaimed, “It’s good to see them back together. Happily ever after!”

 

I tried to interpret any kind of sadness in her expression but there was none. She was truly happy for the both of them. I smiled at her and she stared back at me. She was a little shy. Suddenly, a sense of warmth penetrated through me. Maybe it was because I finally see her true smile again.

 

“Don’t you feel sad about Jun Hyung getting back to Hara?” I asked casually.

 

“No, not at all,” She did not even ponder for a second, “I have told Jun Hyung about it.”

 

“About?”

 

“I told him that I don’t feel the same way I did for him anymore,” Hyuna answered my question. Without probing, I drank my cup of coffee.

 

“It’s because someone else has taken over his place in my heart.” She whispered and that surprised me a little. I choked on my coffee and coughed.

 

Hyuna took a piece of tissue and gently wiped my mouth, “Are you okay?”

 

I tried to wipe my mouth myself by getting the tissue from her hands but accidentally grabbed on her hand instead. Suddenly, I felt that time had stopped. What is this feeling again?