Loving You

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyuna’s POV

 

After the whole incident, I could not keep my mind off Jun Hyung’s words. Should I accept his apology? Should I accept his confession?

 

I was afraid. I was afraid of being hurt again but this was my lifelong dream and it was finally coming true. Jun Hyung was actually responding to my love. He kept staring at me during the whole filming. Although he was wearing shades, I could easily tell he was looking at me instead of Hyun Seung.

 

Finally, Doo Joon and Jun Hyung left since they had another schedule to go for. Hyun Seung and I completed the music video filming not long after. We thanked the staff humbly and went back to our waiting room to wait for our coordinators to remove the make up for us.

 

“Hyuna!” Hyun Seung shouted into my ear.

 

I was shocked to hear his loud voice so I said back at him, “Why are you shouting?”

 

“I’m shouting because you’re not responding to me after I called you for the fifth time!” Hyun Seung explained and removed his jacket.

 

“Oh, what is it?” I was still distracted and looked into the mirror.

 

Hyun Seung did not even look at me and asked, “Why do you look so distracted after Jun Hyung had pulled you away from the set?”

 

“Was it very obvious?” I exclaimed loudly and covered my mouth when I found out I was exaggerating.

 

Hyun Seung chuckled to ease the tension, “Well, you always have that blank face when you’re distracted.”

 

“Ah.” I stuck out my tongue and Hyun Seung smiled lightly at my reaction. He did not probe further.

 

Although he did not probe, I was eager to tell him about what happened earlier. I did not know why I had the urge to tell him but I needed to get it off my chest and get a listening ear. Only Hyun Seung knew about my feelings for Jun Hyung. However, he did not seem to care.

 

At last, I garnered all my courage and tapped his shoulder. I cleared my throat and smiled at him, “Hyun Seung! I have some news to tell you and you might be happy for me.”

 

“What is it?” Hyun Seung finally gave me his full attention.

 

I grabbed his shoulders and took in a deep breath, “Jun Hyung finally told me he likes me!”

 

I jumped around and expected him to pat my head or laugh along with me but he just stood there, looking speechless and appalled at my words.

 

“Aren’t you happy that my love is being returned?” I asked him questionably and pouted.

 

“Hyuna, in case you have forgotten, he has a girlfriend.”

 

I shook my head and told him eagerly, “Jun Hyung has broken up with Hara! Didn’t he mention it to you?”

 

“What?” He responded in shock. He was not convinced, “Why does he change his feelings so easily? Hyuna, you have to re-think about this. I don’t believe a single word that comes out of Jun Hyung’s mouth anymore. His feelings sway too much…”

 

I folded my arms when his words got too much, “Are you saying Jun Hyung is lying to me?”

 

“No, Hyuna. I’m just saying this so you wouldn’t get hurt again…”

 

“He wouldn’t hurt me!” I argued.

 

“Really? Is that what you think? After he had made you cry several times?” Hyun Seung challenged me harshly.

 

“Jun Hyung says he finally realises his heart is meant for me, he likes me, Hyun Seung!” I did not know why I started raising my voice to Hyun Seung, “Why can’t you be happy for me? Why do you have to put me down when I’m at my happiest?”

 

Hyun Seung was quiet for a moment, not knowing whether to argue back when I was throwing a temper. Finally, he said something again in a low voice, “Are you really at your happiest?”

 

“I…” I stammered unwillingly.

 

Why was I stammering? Why was I finding so hard to answer the question? Was I that happy about Jun Hyung’s confession?

 

Honestly, my mind was blank.

 

“Hyuna, if you insist.” He muttered and packed his bag in a hurry, as if he was dying to leave me.

 

My heart soured when he did not respond the way I wanted him to. He did not feel happy neither did he feel sad or jealous. Did I just say jealous?

 

I held down his bag to prevent him from going away. His eyes would not meet me. I was hurt for some reasons when he treated me this way. I wondered what the reason for his nonchalance was. “Hyun Seung, why are you being so cold? Why aren’t you saying anything about this?” I asked him gently this time, hopefully he could stay.

 

“Do you want my permission for you to date him? What do you expect me to say? ‘Yay, I’m so happy for you!’?” He said sarcastically.

 

“Hyuna, it’s between you and Jun Hyung. If you have already accepted his heart, there’s nothing I can do about it.” Hyun Seung looked at me for the last time.

 

I released his bag.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said simply and walked away.

 

I touched my heart. It felt heavy and weird. It felt worse when I found out Jun Hyung and Hara were officially dating and I could not find the reason for this agony.

 

I took out a pen and wrote on a piece of paper.

 

Today, Hyun Seung made my heart hurt because he screamed at me. He did not seem affected by the confession Jun Hyung made to me. I’m hurt…

 

I folded the paper and slipped it into the kangaroo’s pocket.

 

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

I closed the door behind me loudly and left Hyuna behind in the waiting room. I leaned against the wall for a few seconds before gaining the strength to walk away from the room. I walked in a hurry and finally got myself into my manager’s car. I took out the drink in my bag and drank it furiously.

 

“Are you okay, Hyun Seung?” My manager asked with concern.

 

However, I did not answer a word. I could not speak a single word. I was too infuriated, too speechless, too confused and too exhausted to say anything. I crushed the can of drink and held it firmly in my hand after finishing it.

 

I shut my eyes tightly and thought to myself. To think I was so convinced I was able to make her change her mind about Jun Hyung. To think I was so convinced that she had already forgotten about Jun Hyung and moved on. To think… I thought she was slowly attracted to me.

 

Hah, fat chance, Jang Hyun Seung.

 

You’re not Yong Jun Hyung, and you would never be.

 

I got reminded of our conversation a moment ago and I could not help but clench my fists.

 

-

 

Hyuna grabbed my shoulders and smiled the brightest smile I had ever seen for the whole day. It really seemed like she was over the moon. And then she announced to me, “Jun Hyung finally told me he likes me!”

 

I was speechless. I did not know whether to react positively or not.

 

 “Aren’t you happy that my love is being returned?” Hyuna felt rather impatient about my slow reaction to it.

 

“Hyuna, in case you have forgotten, he has a girlfriend.” I broke it out to her coldly.

 

“Jun Hyung has broken up with Hara! Didn’t he mention it to you?”

 

As a matter of fact, Jun Hyung did not mention it to me. After all, our relationship had soured ever since we had the argument about Hyuna herself. I did not expect him to return his feelings to her, not at this point when everything had just settled down. I just wanted him to have the right to know he had hurt Hyuna badly but I did not expect things to turn out this way. Was it a good thing?

 

However, I tried to reason out everything with her properly, “Why does he change his feelings so easily? Hyuna, you have to re-think about this. I don’t believe a single word that comes out of Jun Hyung’s mouth anymore. His feelings sway too much…”

 

Hyuna got defensive, “Are you saying Jun Hyung is lying to me?”

 

I shook my head slightly, “No, Hyuna. I’m just saying this so you wouldn’t get hurt again…”

 

“He wouldn’t hurt me!” Hyuna interrupted me rudely and glared.

 

“Really? Is that what you think? After he had made you cry several times?” I was upset at her behaviour. I was being so concerned about her but she had to react this way.

 

“Jun Hyung says he finally realises his heart is meant for me, he likes me, Hyun Seung!” She started being frustrated, “Why can’t you be happy for me? Why do you have to put me down when I’m at my happiest?”

 

I went silent for a moment, digesting all the words she was saying at the same time. I swallowed my saliva as my heart felt a heavy burden. Jealously was overwhelming my heart and I could not take it anymore. I muttered softly to myself to hear and perhaps Hyuna could hear it as well, “Are you really at your happiest?”

 

-

 

“Hyun Seung, we’re here.” My manager said and I opened my eyes again.

 

Another schedule was waiting for me.

 

However, the words she had said could not be erased from my mind.

 

Why is loving a person so difficult?