Not With Her

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

Jun Hyung was on his phone – again. This time, he was hiding in the room, speaking very softly on the phone. It was already 2am in the morning and all of us needed to go and sleep; it didn’t help when he was still on the phone. Since he was sleeping next to me, I nudged him on the shoulder and he turned around and looked at me. He mouthed the word ‘what’ to me and I whispered, “It’s two in the morning and we need to sleep!”

 

“Oh!” He said out and took a look at his watch, “I’m sorry!” He turned around again and I tried to eavesdrop at the conversation. “Yes, I need to go now. I’ll see you next time, okay? Goodnight and sleep well!” He whispered and put down his phone. I knew for sure he wasn’t talking to his family or friends, not with that kind of tone.

 

“Who were you talking to just now?” I asked him after he closed his eyes.

 

He fidgeted and opened his eyes slightly, “It’s just… Nevermind. I shouldn’t be telling you now. Maybe in the future.”

 

I kept having Hyuna in my head. I kept thinking he was talking to Hyuna on the phone. After all, they’re close and all. Wait, suddenly, something popped in my mind and I patted his shoulder again. “Jun Hyung, don’t fall asleep yet! I have something to tell you.” I hissed so that the members wouldn’t be awake.

 

“What is it?” He was pretty annoyed at me right now but still, he was listening while closing his eyes.

 

I was doing her a favour but I didn’t feel good at all. I made a promise and I needed to fulfil it, “Hyuna…”

 

“Hyuna? What about her?” Jun Hyung’s eyes widen suddenly. He was pretty sensitive to her name.

 

“Hyuna asked me if you’re free on her birthday,” I told him and continued when he didn’t get it, “She wants you to celebrate it with her.

 

Jun Hyung pressed his temples hard and shut his eyes tight, “Ah… Her birthday. Her birthday falls on…”

 

“It’s this Saturday!” I replied to him immediately, almost getting angry. Hyuna liked him so much but now, Jun Hyung couldn’t even remember her birthday? I was almost furious that he could even forget his birthday but he smirked.

 

“Thanks, buddy. Wow, you actually know the day of her birthday.” He said in as a matter of fact but it was enough to make me anxious. Did he find out about my feelings for Hyuna? Was he going to be jealous about it?

 

Well, he didn’t. He shrugged and said, “I’ll check my schedule tomorrow. It’s late and I need to sleep.”

 

I rolled my eyes and snapped, “You didn’t want to sleep when you’re on the phone a moment ago! Don’t forget to tell her, alright?”

 

“Yes… Yes…” He was almost falling asleep as he mumbled the words.

 

I was about to shut my eyes when I remembered something. Wait, if he was on the phone with Hyuna, why didn’t Hyuna ask him directly instead? Shouldn’t he know about her request if it was her on the phone? I turned around again to face Jun Hyung. “Jun Hyung… Jun Hyung!” I called his name softly but this time, he did not wake up.

 

I gave up my questions and fell into a deep slumber.

 

-

 

“Hey, Saturday? I’m perfectly fine with it. Alright, I need to hang up now.” Jun Hyung spoke and walked around the kitchen. I pretended to be not interested in his conversation he had on the phone but I was guessing he accepted Hyuna’s request. She would be happy to celebrate her birthday with Jun Hyung – her crush or you would like to call that as.

 

“I’m guessing you’re going out on Saturday then,” I tried to focus my attention to the television programme while talking to him casually. I hoped he wouldn’t think I was being too nosy to poke into their affairs.

 

Jun Hyung nodded and said, “Yes, I am.”

 

He texted something on his phone and sent it.

 

It was just two more days to Saturday. I wondered how they would celebrate Hyuna’s birthday together. Would they really… get together and start dating behind the fans’ backs? I shuddered. I didn’t want to imagine any of it. I turned off the television and went into the room. “Hey, I was watching the programme!” Jun Hyung shouted as I slammed on the door.

 

I plopped on the bed and grabbed something behind my pillow. It was the can of coke that Hyuna handed to me on the day she came into the dance studio. Of course, I had washed it clean and it looked brand new except that it was already opened and used. I placed the can to my lips. I couldn’t believe I was that obsessed. I was like a coward, hiding all my inner feelings to myself, seeing the girl that I liked liking someone else – and that someone else was my best friend.

 

Hyuna

Hyun Seung… Thank you for your help. He said yes. ;)

 

She sent me a text right after Jun Hyung had that mysterious phone call. Well, it’s not very mysterious since I knew it was Hyuna on the phone. I replied back coldly to her.

 

You’re welcome.

 

-

 

It was Saturday and I was heading home from CUBE Entertainment. It was already 9pm at night and I was expecting not to see Jun Hyung at home. However, I was wrong. He was having some ramen at the kitchen table and in his sleeping attire. I was baffled at him. I thought he was supposed to be out right now? Out celebrating birthday with Hyuna, to be exact.

 

I put down my bag noisily and that shocked Jun Hyung for a moment. He almost choked on his noodles and coughed, “Hey, you scared me right there!”

 

“Yah!” I shouted at him and pointed to ramen, “Why are you eating ramen? Aren’t you supposed to be out right now?”

 

He looked confused and continued eating while settling himself down on the couch with his ramen in his hands, “Yes I was.” He replied coldly after I treated him like that but I wanted more than an answer. I needed an explanation. He said again, “I came back earlier than I thought.”

 

“You mean, you’re done celebrating… Hyuna’s birthday? Without having a proper dinner?” I asked him carefully.

 

“Hyuna’s birthday?” He shook his head, “I wasn’t celebrating her birthday.”

 

“What?!” I yelled at him, being completely surprised at his answer.

 

He put down his ramen and shouted back, “Hold on! Why are you shouting at me? Let me finish my words!” I calmed down for a moment to hear his explanation, “I had work today so I had to reject Hyuna’s request last minute on celebrating her birthday. Besides, the members are celebrating for her anyway!”

 

“You’re amazing. You actually believed her?” I snorted and plopped back to the couch, “The 4 Minutes members are…”

 

“Wow, the ramen is delicious!” Jun Hyun slurped his noodles noisily and laughed to himself.

 

Forget it. He’s not even bothered about Hyuna anyway. It wasn’t of any use talking to him about Hyuna. I grabbed my jacket and left the house again.