Step By Step

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyuna’s POV

 

“What?!”

 

“Ahh!” I yelled as I felt myself collapsing on the water when Hyun Seung loosened his grip. I fell down into the water as Hyun Seung accidentally released me.

 

Hyun Seung was taken aback by his own actions and screamed, “Oh shoot!”

 

I laid on the water, feeling extremely embarrassed, and not to mention cold. I wiped my face clean and opened my eyes to see Hyun Seung holding in his laughter. I frowned and glared at him for being able to laugh at my current situation. He bit his lips to stop himself from laughing.

 

How could he be this 4D when I was being so serious about it? I screamed at him, “Jang Hyun Seung! Why did you release me?”

 

He coughed and wiped the salty water from my lips, “I’m so sorry.” He coughed again and became serious, “I’m just very surprised at what you have said earlier.”

 

Suddenly, silence took over us. I looked down shyly, afraid to meet his eyes right now. How would he react to what I had said earlier?

 

“I, Kim Hyuna… like you.”

 

I remembered my words from before and began to blush. It wasn’t my first time confessing to a guy but this time, it felt so surreal. Hyun Seung and I went back and forth, being oblivious and being obvious with our own feelings that nothing seemed to make any sense anymore. Would this confession make a difference to us?

 

“Hyuna,” He finally said something after I did not respond, “Can you repeat that for me?”

 

“Eh?” I stammered.

 

“Can you repeat what you have said earlier?” He came closer to me and knelt down in the water where I was positioned in, “I want to hear that from you again.”

 

I whispered, “No. I’m not going to say it again if you missed it, you stupid idiot.”

 

Hyun Seung chuckled at my words and cupped my face, “Hyuna, me too.” With much courage, I finally looked at him in the eyes. Hyun Seung smiled the most charming way possible, “Hyuna, you probably know this very long ago. I like you too.”

 

Slowly, I felt the corners of my lips began to curve upwards naturally when he said that to me. My heart melted as I heard his voice and his true confession to me.

 

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

“Hyuna, you probably know this very long ago. I like you too.”

 

Hyuna’s face became warmer when I said the previous line to her. I blushed automatically as I admired her beauty under the moonlight. This felt like a dream. It felt like I was in my own world where Hyuna reciprocated my love for her.

 

Both of us were in the water, with the big waves splashing against our skin.

 

“Hyuna,” I called her name when I felt that she was daydreaming in her own thoughts and tucked her hair behind her ear, “I have another question to ask you.”

 

She asked sweetly, “What is it?”

 

I held in my laughter once again, “Does your hurt?”

 

“Jang Hyun Seung!” Hyuna leaned back and screamed at me. She stood up immediately and folded her arms, “You’re perfect in every other way but you’re not a romantic at all! How can you ask such a ridiculous question in the middle of this situation?”

 

I stood up with her and leaned closer to her, “Really? I’m perfect in every other way?”

 

She gritted her teeth and shut her eyes, “Aish! You’re driving me crazy! First, you dropped me into the water and now you’re teasing me!”

 

“You’re a fairly good target to pick on.” I stated truthfully, not giving up on the teasing. I held on with the subject that made me happier for a second, “So you really like me that much? Am I that perfect in your eyes? Hyuna?”

 

Hyuna panicked from my words and dragged her feet through the water, “I’m not talking to you anymore!”

 

“Yah, Hyuna! I promised not to leave you behind, how can you leave me behind?” I shouted when she stomped off angrily like a little child with a tantrum. I shook my head and laughed. I chased after her and shouted again, “Hyuna-ah, wait for me!”

 

I finally caught up with her. She did not want to turn and looked at me. I just walked beside her and bravely held her hand. She did not resist and I could tell she liked that. Without hesitation, I made another step and held her by the shoulder. Hyuna pondered for a minute and held my waist and laid down comfortably on my chest while we strolled on the beach under the moonlight.

 

We never spoke a word.

 

We never broke the silence.

 

We just made a few tentative steps towards our ambiguous but beautiful relationship.