Let's Not

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyuna’s POV

 

“Why do girls always fancy the bad boys?” Hyun Seung threw me a question off guard. I was confused into what he was trying to say.

 

“When a girl has a guy that is nice to her, she doesn’t return the feelings back because she’s in love with a bad boy.” Hyun Seung mentioned and chuckled, “Isn’t it common the dramas as well?”

 

“Hyun Seung, you’re terribly drunk. I should take you home…” I tried lifting him off the ground but he would not budge.

 

“I don’t want to go home!” He shouted at me in his drunkard state.

 

I scanned around the surroundings of the rooftop. Luckily, there was no one up here to see Hyun Seung in this state. I kicked his leg angrily as I was fed up with him, “Jang Hyun Seung, why don’t you want to go home? They are worried about you! I should call the members…”

 

“Don’t call them!” Hyun Seung was off the ground now and he snatched away my phone to only throw it onto the floor. My phone broke into pieces.

 

“Yah! My phone!”

 

“Don’t call the members! Don’t call… especially the one whose name is Yong… stinking Jun Hyung.” He sat back to the same position on the floor again after destroying my phone.

 

“Jun Hyung?” I was alert and forgot about my phone’s state when I heard his name, “What’s wrong with Jun Hyung?”

 

“He’s a bad, bad, bad boy.” Hyun Seung muttered and continued, “I detest him for treating girls like trash. He treats you like trash. He takes you for granted. He doesn’t deserve a sweet girl like you. He doesn’t deserve all the love…”

 

I touched his face and felt tears running down his cheeks. I felt hurt when I saw him in this state. I bit my lips to hear his words again, “He’s a bad person… but I envy him…”

 

“I envy him because he has your love.” Hyun Seung was quietly murmuring now, “He doesn’t have to do a single damn thing but he got your love.”

 

He suddenly laughed and pointed to himself, “Just look at me. I cared for you. I treated you well. But what do I get in the end? Being friends with you…”

 

What? What did Hyun Seung just said? Did he just confess unknowingly?

 

“Hyun Seung, what are you talking about?” I cupped his face so he would not fall asleep and give me an answer.

 

“Hyuna, why can’t you see my intentions in a different perspective?” He left the last sentence and dozed off.

 

I remembered his words from somewhere.

 

“Hyun Seung, Hyun Seung…” I nudged him.

He groaned and woke up, “Ah, Hyuna! You’re done working out?”

I sighed and got fed up with him, “Why are you still here?”

“I’m just…” Hyun Seung was backing off a little after seeing my angry expression, “I’m just worried that something might happen to you. So if you ever need someone, I’ll be here. And I didn’t defy you. I said I won’t show me face in front of you… that’s why I’m out here…”

 “Don’t worry. I won’t do anything silly because of this issue and you really don’t have to worry too much, Hyun Seung.” I told him straight away with a trailing voice, “I still don’t understand why you’re treating me so nicely nowadays…”

 “Hyuna, why can’t you see my intentions in a different perspective?” Hyun Seung spouted out after what I had said earlier.

 

They were the exact words that he said to me at the gym before our collaboration.

 

Hyun Seung had a crush on me… since then?

 

-

 

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

I felt a pain in my head as the sun shone on my face directly. My shoulders were stiff and I could feel my back aching terribly. I could not remember anything. I opened my eyes with some effort to find myself surrounded with walls and the sky was just above my head.

 

I was about to move when I felt something on my shoulder pulling me down. I turned to see Hyuna lying on my shoulder and she was still sleeping. Why was she doing here with me – on the rooftop? I could not remember a single thing that happened. How did she find me here?

 

All I could remember was me buying a few cans of beers and coming up on the rooftop to have a few drinks since my mood was awful last night. Hyuna… I didn’t remember her being part of the plan.

 

Regardless of which, my body was achine from sleeping with my back against the wall so I called Hyuna up, “Hyuna… Wake up.”

 

She was groaning and very drowsy but came to her sense quite quickly. She shook her head and rubbed her eyes while asking me, “Are you alright?”

 

“Am I not supposed to be alright?”

 

“Didn’t you remember what happen yesterday?” She yawned and was definitely more awake now.

 

Her words stung and I panicked. I was known to spout nonsense and speak my true feelings when I was drunk, “Did I do something to you yesterday?”

 

“No, of course not!” Hyuna denied violently and stood up to stretch herself.

 

“Okay, that’s a relief.”

 

I stood up after her and was going to leave but Hyuna grabbed my shoulder and scrutinised me from head to toe, “You don’t remember a single thing from yesterday?”

 

She made me nervous again as she asked me, “What am I supposed to remember?”

 

Hyuna bit her lips anxiously, as if she did not know whether to say it or not. I was getting panicky every moment she stopped talking. I tried to recall what I did yesterday to make Hyuna so nervous like that. I shut my eyes and rubbed my temples in order to recall. Suddenly, everything came back rushing into my mind.

 

“I envy him because he has your love. He doesn’t have to do a single damn thing but he got your love. Just look at me. I cared for you. I treated you well. But what do I get in the end? Being friends with you…”

 “Hyun Seung, what are you talking about?”

“Hyuna, why can’t you see my intentions in a different perspective?”

 

I locked eyes with Hyuna as she realised that I remembered every single thing that happened last night. “Oh shoot.” I cursed myself quietly.

 

“So you remember what you have said…?” Hyuna’s face was turning pink the moment she said that. There was just awkward silence between us.

 

I should have kept my mouth shut. Why did I even call her in my drunkard state? I must be out of my mind! I folded my arms and looked down on the ground. How were we supposed to face each other when she knew my feelings towards her? Moreover, I knew that she would not return my feelings.

 

“Hyun Seung,” I lifted my head as she called for me, “I just want to confirm whether… everything you have said yesterday is the truth.”

 

I gulped as she asked me the question I wanted to avoid the most. Nevertheless, the cat was out of the bag. I could do nothing except to confess directly.

 

“Yes, everything I have said last night is the truth. Nothing but the truth.”

 

I could see Hyuna’s face turning stiff and she froze in her position. However, she tried to speak again, “To tell you the truth, Hyun Seung, actually… I…”

 

I stopped her, “Hyuna, don’t say it.”

 

I knew she was going to reject my feelings but I did not want her to do it and feel bad about it, “Hyuna, I know your feelings. You don’t have to do this because I have already known the outcome of my own actions. I know my love for you is just one-sided and I don’t want to make things difficult for you.”

 

“But Hyun Seung… Listen to m-“

 

I was feeling depressed about it but I could not show it to her, “I understand. If I were to make a choice right now, I would rather we will not get together.”

 

Hyuna looked surprised when I said that, “You mean… you don’t want to get together with me?”

 

“Yes, I don’t.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because… If we were to get together and if I were to hurt you one day, no one will be there to console you.”

 

I told her sincerely, “And I don’t want that to happen.”

 

I had been her listening ear all along. She would tell me her problems with Jun Hyung and she would cry in front of me and feel better. If she were to get together with me, there would be no one who would be her listening ear anymore – because I would be the one who hurt her heart.

 

“You’re denying a chance to be with me because you’re afraid of hurting me and me not having anyone there to console me?” Hyuna confirmed again.

 

“Yes.” I stated firmly.

 

“Hyun Seung…”

 

“So Hyuna,” I tried to end off as friends and laughed, “Let’s pretend last night didn’t happen at all, okay?”

 

She pondered for a long time and gave a slight nod.

 

“Let’s go now.” I reached out for her hand but she denied it.

 

I was confused but she said, “I’m still angry with you.”

 

“What… Why?”

 

She pointed on the floor and frowned, “You destroyed my phone yesterday.”

 

I laughed out loud and pinched her cheeks, “Don’t worry, I’ll get you a new one.”