Not Anymore

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyuna’s POV

 

“Why isn’t he calling me up to check on me?” I mumbled to myself again and again, handling my phone roughly while checking for Hyun Seung’s messages. I was already back in the form with my members. My fever subsided but I was still feeling exhausted.

 

“Are you waiting for Hyun Seung to text you?” Ji Hyun asked me randomly.

 

I placed my phone down, “I’m not!”

 

“Ehhh, I know everything…” Ji Hyun sniggered and gave me a sly look, “I wondered what happened before that made you faint after the performance…”

 

“I was having a fe-“ I explained and finally understood where she was heading, “Ah, the A Pink members told you, didn’t they? They promised not to tell anyone!”

 

“Even if they did not mention it, we can tell!” Ji Hyun defended, “Hyun Seung and you behaved differently ever since a week ago. It was obvious you two like each other.”

 

“Really? Is it really that obvious?” I asked. I was happy that it was noticeable but worried at the same time. What if the fans could tell?

 

Ji Hyun nodded, “The way you two look at each other is different. Have you seen how Hyun Seung look at you? He looks like he’s going to catch a grenade for you any time.”

 

I squirmed on the inside, hugging the soft toy right next to me.

 

-

 

I was getting ready for bed. I peeked into my other members’ rooms to see them fast asleep. I got in my bed and laid my head on the comfy pillow. With that, I closed my eyes, prepared for a good night’s sleep.

 

(tock) (tock)

 

There were sounds. I was extremely sensitive but this sound was really loud. I sat up right away to locate the sound. I saw some stones were thrown on my window. Who had the nerve to throw stones on my window? Was it my anti-fan?

 

I went over to my window and opened it. I was all ready to reprimand the person until I saw who the real culprit was. “Omo, Hyun Seung!” I said loudly.

 

“Shush!” He placed a finger on his lips. He was wearing shades and hat as he carried a backpack, “Not too loud!”

 

I covered my mouth in shock when I saw him downstairs. My dorm was on the third floor so I could hear him clearly.

 

He mouthed the words to me, “Please wait.”

 

I nodded while trying to stay quiet and waited for his next move. What was he doing here in the middle of the night?

 

The next thing I knew, he was carrying a ladder out of nowhere and leaned it against the building wall. I released my hand as I witnessed him climbing up the ladder without any thought. I hissed, “Yah, Jang Hyun Seung! What are you doing? It’s dangerous! Get down from the ladder!”

 

Despite my warning, he continued climbing. I felt it was worthless to dissuade him. Surprisingly, he was stable and got to the third floor in no time. I met him at the window and asked repeatedly, “What are you doing here? Are you crazy?”

 

“Your neighbours will definitely think I’m crazy if you don’t let me in the house!”  He whispered.

 

“My house? I can’t!” I shook my head, “Guys aren’t allowed in the dorm.”

 

“Do you expect me to climb back down?” He looked disappointed.

 

“No!” I couldn’t risk his life again, “Alright, don’t make any noise. The rest are asleep.”

 

Hyun Seung smiled sheepishly and climbed in the small window with the ladder still leaning against the wall. I closed the window and heaved a sigh of relief. I stared at him angrily, “Hyun Seung, what do you think you’re doing back there?”

 

“I’m here to see how you’re doing,” He explained.

 

“That’s not a good excuse to climb through my window.”

 

“I was worried about you.” He said.

 

“You could have just texted!”

 

He back hugged me and laid his head on my shoulder. My anger quickly subsided when I felt his skin against mine. Nothing felt better than a hug by Hyun Seung. Nothing.

 

“I missed you,” Hyun Seung whispered in my ear, “I want to see for myself that you’re okay.”

 

I turned around and gave him a proper hug. His chest was comfortable and I closed my eyes as we stood in the middle of my room, embracing each other’s warmth, “I miss you too. You don’t know how much I was thinking about you earlier.”

 

How could I ever blame him for being reckless? Which guy would ever climb a window and risk his life for me? No one. Only him.

 

“Besides seeing you, I have another reason why I’m here.” Hyun Seung released me and led me to the bed. He sat down and placed his backpack he was carrying on his shoulders on his lap. He took out something and grinned at me, “I think I should return this to the rightful owner.”

 

He opened my fist and put something on my hand. I took a closer look to find out it was the necklace I returned to him before in Singapore. The day when I told him I was not going to be in a relationship with him.

 

 “My necklace!” I exclaimed.

 

He took the necklace and wore it for me like the day he first gave it to me – except that the feeling and meaning of the necklace was completely different.

 

“Do you remember what I said to you when I gave you this necklace?” He was trying to test my memory, wasn’t he?

 

I smiled and pinched his cheeks furiously, “Of course I do.” I removed my grip and became serious, “You said although there are a million of stars out there, I am the one who shines the brightest amongst the night sky.”

 

He seemed to be pleased that I remembered his words. Hyun Seung touched the star lightly, “Two years. I carried a torch for you for two years. No other stars out there can be in par with a shining star like you.”

 

I touched his face tenderly, almost feeling guilty, “I’m sorry, Hyun Seung. For realising your heart so late.”

 

“Nothing’s ever too late. Hey, better be late than never, right?” He joked lightly with me. He stood up and stretched. “Let me have a tour around your room!” He suddenly mentioned.

 

“Ah, no! My room is kind of messy right now…” I started to do a last-minute cleaning of the room.

 

He took up the kangaroo stuff toy he gave to me and saw the pieces of papers in the kangaroo’s pocket, “Looks like you have been listening to my advice diligently.”

 

“Yeah, your advice does works. After writing my problems and sadness in the papers and putting in the pocket, I feel so much better.” I admitted but suddenly remembered that all the things I have written on the paper were related to Hyun Seung.

 

I panicked and took the kangaroo away, “Ah!”

 

“Why so secretive?” Hyun Seung caught on immediately, “Did you write things inside that you don’t want me to know about?”

 

I was speechless and hid the kangaroo away from him, “No… No…”

 

“Give it to me!” He started jumping and tickling me. I gave in and he took the kangaroo away.

 

He started reading the papers one by one. I began to feel bad for writing so many things about him.

 

He mumbled, “I didn’t know… I was the one who caused you to be sad…” He laughed awkwardly, “To think I was the subject of your ‘problems’. How ironic.”

 

I held his hand meekly and murmured, “It’s all in the past…”

 

“You’re right, it’s all in the past,” Hyun Seung crushed all the papers and threw them in the bin and then the kangaroo into a cabinet, “Because from now on, you won’t be needing this kangaroo anymore. I won’t be making you write all your problems anymore. I won’t be making you sad anymore.”

-

 

Author's Note:

I'm sorry but updates will be slow these days. :)