A Step I Made

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

“Hyuna. Tonight. After the show. Meet me at Riz Carlton Hotel at 12 midnight. Room 601.”

 

I was walking back to the waiting room when I noticed Jun Hyung was talking to Hyuna. Again with his playfulness and tactics to win over her, he was cupping her cheek with his hand and another hand in his pocket. I stood behind a pillar to see what was going on before realising he was asking her out – to a hotel.

 

“Hotel? Aren’t we staying at a different one?” Hyuna blushed after Jun Hyung’s sudden words.

 

She was oblivious. I knew Jun Hyung was going to confess to her again especially after when he knew my feelings for her and Hyuna did not accept his confession before. Jun Hyung seemed to be treating Hyuna way better than before – perhaps even being loyal and sweet to her. But why did I get the feeling that I was feeling sour about it? I should be happy that Hyuna got the treatment that she fully deserved.

 

“Jun Hyung, you promised,” Hyuna spoke after a long time, “You promise that you will give me time.”

 

 “I know that. I also know that if I give you more time, you would slowly slip out of my reach,” Jun Hyung lowered his head. He muttered under his breath, “I don’t want to lose you.”

 

I felt my heart sinking in every second he looked into her eyes. Even though Hyuna had mentioned that she had slowly forgotten about Jun Hyung, I was afraid she would fall back in love with him again.

 

 “I will be there until you come. I will wait for you, like always, Hyuna.”

 

I swallowed my saliva nervously and muttered to myself, “Hyuna, please say no. Hyuna, please say no.”

 

However, she did not reject him. Jun Hyung left and Hyuna stood in her place stiffly. I clenched my fists tightly, knowing that there was a huge chance that she was going to meet up with him tonight after the show.

 

No, I don’t want that to happen. Never. I don’t want to lose her.

 

Hyuna passed by me and I knew it was my chance.

 

My hand went over to hers and I pulled her in for a hug. We had so much physical contact together during our preparations for ‘Trouble Maker’ but this was the first time I felt I was truly holding her to me like a man would do. I took in her scent and sighed, “Hyuna, please don’t. Please don’t go.”

 

Hyuna’s lips were shaking. She was definitely clueless to what was happening. I closed my eyes and repeated myself clearly, “Don’t meet Jun Hyung tonight. Please.”

 

I expected her to rebel and push me away but she did not. Instead, she whispered to me, “Why?”

 

“I know what he’s going to do tonight. He’s going to confes-“

 

“I know that too.” She interrupted.

 

“Then you’re going to accept his confession?” I was shocked.

 

Hyuna looked up at the ceiling, ignoring my question, “At least Jun Hyung is brave enough to express his inner feelings to a girl he likes.”

 

“I…” I stuttered in front of her.

 

“What about you, Hyun Seung? Will you do that? Will you?” Hyuna challenged me. Why did it seem so hard to tell her my feelings? Why was it so hard for me to say ‘I like you, Hyuna’?

 

“Tell me. Tell me why I shouldn’t go. Jang Hyun Seung, tell me.” She started to raise her voice when I did not answer.

 

My hands were still around her. This time, she pulled away from me, “You can’t even tell me the reason. Hyun Seung, I dare you to stop me from going. I dare you.” She stepped closer to me again and whispered seductively, “Make me stay. Make me.”

 

I gritted my teeth and cupped her hands with both of my hands, “I will. I will make you stay. Just wait.”

 

Upon saying that, I left the scene without looking back to see her reaction. I closed my eyes after making a decision a while ago. I knew it was going to be controversial but if it would make Hyuna stay, it would be worth it.

 

-

 

Rehearsals were over and the time had finally come.

 

The other members and I hopped into the limousine to get ready for the red carpet to meet our fans and enter the hall like true celebrities. Jun Hyung and I took different rows of seats, clearly avoiding each other’s ways. My face was stiff, so was his.

 

Soon after, Hyuna got into the limousine as well. Jun Hyung and I fidgeted awkwardly when we realised Hyuna was given a choice to choose to sit beside one of us. Hyuna was hesitant at the situation she was caught under. She cleared as she made eye contact with the both of us.

 

Who would she choose to sit with?

 

Our manager who was sitting at the front yelled, “Hyuna! The staff said you are supposed to sit in another car. What are you doing here? Quick! We’re late.”

 

Hyuna snapped out of it and mumbled, “Ah, that’s right.”

 

After reaching our destination, we made our way to the red carpet to accept a short interview by the MCs. I held out my hand to Hyuna naturally and she locked arms with me at the red carpet. Locking arms, I sensed that Jun Hyung was eyeing on Hyuna and me even though he was wearing his shades. I turned to look at Hyuna who lowered her head after peeping at Jun Hyung.

 

The MC directed a question to Hyuna who asked about Trouble Maker. Doo Joon handed the microphone to Hyuna but she was completely oblivious. She whispered, “Oh, what did she just ask?”

 

I took the microphone instead and answered the question, “Hyuna and I will be performing together later during the show. Please look forward to it.”

 

Hyuna heaved a sigh of relief.

 

I gulped.

 

Was that the end for me? Did that just mean Hyuna like Jun Hyung instead of me?

 

I could feel my confidence crashing down into pieces.  

 

Nevertheless, I ain’t backing down. I had a plan – a plan that would change everything.

 

-

 

“Hyun Seung, hurry up!” Doo Joon called for me after changing our clothes. It was our turn next to perform. I would be performing ‘Fiction’ with the members and a short performance with Hyuna to commence the start of our ‘Troublemaker’ performance. My heart was pounding quickly because of my secretive plan.

 

Should I abolish the plan?

 

“At least Jun Hyung is brave enough to express his inner feelings to a girl he likes.”

“Tell me. Tell me why I shouldn’t go. Jang Hyun Seung, tell me.”

“You can’t even tell me the reason. Hyun Seung, I dare you to stop me from going. I dare you.”

“Make me stay. Make me.”

 

Her words kept ringing in my head.

 

Just then, Hyuna passed by me to move towards her position for the performance.

 

“Hyuna.” I called her name.

 

She did not say a word.

“Hyuna,” I repeated her name and tucked her hair behind her ear gently, “I’m going to make you star. I’m going to stop you from going to someone else’s heart.”

 

“Hyun Seung, quick!” Doo Joon nagged again before I fastened my pace and headed over to the rest of the members.

 

The music played and we appeared after elevating from the bottom of the stage. Finally the first chorus ended and I rushed over to backstage and went up the stairs to have my performance with Hyuna. She was undeniably gorgeous in her red long dress which exposed half of her leg.

 

This was it.

 

I entered and danced along to the music with Hyuna. The moment had come – the fake kiss.

 

However, that was not going to happen.

 

She raised her hand like we practised for the actual choreography and I moved my head along her arm and finally I reached her face. Like I had planned, I planted a soft but firm kiss on her lips.

 

This was definitely a tentative step.

-

 

Author's Note:

Reference video of the interview

 

Hyuna is indeed distracted by *coughs* Jun Hyung (well, from my POV anyway).