Both Of Them

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyuna’s POV

 

“Sneak out? Like now?” Hyun Seung was utterly confused. We were on curfew and were not supposed to go out of the hotel room but I really wanted to talk to him – but definitely not here.

 

I nodded.

 

“Yes, anything for you!” Hyun Seung nodded furiously.

 

I was going to close the door but he blocked it to prevent me from closing, “I thought you said we were sneaking out?”

 

I stared at him for the longest time ever and muttered, “Do you really expect me to go out in my PJs, Hyun Seung?”

 

He removed his hand from the door and shook his head, “No! Of course not…” He was slightly embarrassed but I was amused by him. I could not help but smile. He smiled back at me, “I’ll wait for you at the lobby.”

 

I closed the door and leaned against the door, heaving a sigh of relief. I went back to my bed and took up a piece of paper that I wrote just now and placed in safely into the kangaroo’s pocket. “My anger has subsided.” I said to myself and picked up the necklace Hyun Seung gave me, “I’m sorry, Hyun Seung. There isn’t time for all these.”

 

I kept the necklace close to my heart and dropped in my bag before changing my clothes.

 

-

 

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

Isn’t it breathtaking? I never knew a small country would be this beautiful. I don’t regret sneaking out!” Hyuna said as she looked out the glass. We were at the Singapore Flyer, alone at a huge carriage that could carry at least 15 people but there were just the two of us.

 

“Hyuna,” I spoke as I was mesmerised by her, “What if… Jun Hyung is waiting for you at the hotel?”

 

Her smile disappeared but she faced me and gave a weak smile at me to show she was not offended, “I figured my heart tells me to stay and not go.”

 

I her cheek repeatedly. I gulped as I sensed her cheeks getting rosy red and slightly warm from my touch. Did she feel the way I feel for her? I could not be bothered. I cupped her cheek and leaned closer to her. At this very moment, I bent down and closed my eyes.

 

“Hyun Seung.” She called my name and placed her finger on my lips. She clearly prevented me from going closer.

 

I opened my eyes to find her eyes sad and sorry for me. I knew tonight was not the night. I backed away and released my hand away from her face, “I’m so-“

 

She placed her finger on my lips again, “I said it before. Don’t apologise anymore.”

 

I kept my mouth shut this time. She dug something out of her bag. She got hold of something and took my hand and opened my fist. She dropped the necklace that I gave to her during the music video shoot. I stared at her because I needed explanations.

 

“Hyun Seung, I should be sorry instead.” Hyuna intertwined her fingers together and continued, “I know your feelings are as clear as water. I know it. I know it.”

 

Lowering my head, I was frightened to hear her words further. She continued again, “Right now, there’s so many things going on around me. I’m confused and lost. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings any longer.”

 

She stepped away and faced the glass to have a better view of the scenery again, “I have always, essentially, been waiting. Waiting to have someone’s love, waiting to be that person’s true love as well, waiting for that life I thought I would have. In my head, I was always one step away. Waiting is painful. Forgetting is painful. But not knowing which to do is the worst kind of suffering.”

 

She placed her hand on my chest, perhaps feeling my heartbeat and grinned, “Now I know what to do.” She took her hand away and felt her heartbeat, “My heart tells me to focus on my career instead. I should pay attention to my singing, my lovely members and fans. That’s all it matters to me now.”

 

I nodded and looked at the necklace she gave back to me. Three of us had rushed into things so dramatically and everything had to stop. “You’re right, Hyuna.” She had figured everything out and she was not going to choose between us, “I’ll wait until your heart opens again.”

 

She smiled the sweetest smile after I had gotten what she was trying to tell me and grabbed on my shoulders with both of her hands, “Hyun Seung, Trouble Maker… Hwaiting!”

 

“Hyuna, Trouble Maker, Hwaiting!” I said to her cheerfully.

 

We sat down together and enjoyed the view outside before I sighed.

 

“Why are you sighing?”

 

“Just wondering whether we could get out of CEO’s office alive once we get back to Korea.” I commented lightly.

 

She laughed and pinched my cheek, “Let’s brace ourselves together and win this ‘battle’!”

 

-

 

Hyuna’s POV

 

I was standing right in front of the main entrance of Riz Carlton Hotel.

 

“Hyuna. Tonight. After the show. Meet me at Riz Carlton Hotel at 12 midnight. Room 601.”

 “I will be there until you come. I will wait for you, like always, Hyuna.”

 

I was soft hearted. I wondered if Jun Hyung was still waiting at the hotel. Or was he even at the hotel waiting for me? I could not be sure.

 

I stepped into the lobby bravely and tried to set my eyes on anyone who looked like him through my shades and hat in disguise. Just then, I found someone sleeping on a large one seater couch at the corner of the hotel’s café. No one was there, fortunately.

 

I made my way to him and to found out it was really Jun Hyung. I checked the time and it was already almost 2am but he was still here waiting. He had dozed off while waiting.

 

“Jun Hyung. Jun Hyung. Wake up.” I nudged him lightly.

 

He was startled by me and jolted up from his sleep. I looked at him expressionless and he stood up immediately, “Hyuna! You came.” He pointed at the seat across him and said, “Please sit.”

 

“It’s okay, Jun Hyung. I’m going to leave after saying a few words.” I was deciding to make this quick.

 

“It’s alright. The point that you come here to meet me means that you still have fee-“ 

 

I stopped him from talking, “No, Jun Hyung. That’s exactly what I am going tell you.” I paused for a moment to make this as simple as possible. His face seemed to know what I was going to say. I cleared my throat and continued, “Every time you say something or do something, my heart would flutter and I would get excited. The way you look at me, the way you smirk, the way you speak to me…”

 

Thinking of all the moments I was infatuated with him, I smiled. However, that smile disappeared as I said to him, “But not anymore.”

 

“Hyuna…”

 

“I thought I would be happy when you confessed you like him. I told myself that if one day you really love me back, I would jump for joy and agree to it immediately. We would live happily ever after even if fans would come and kill me,” I laughed at my own words, “Am I silly?”

 

I took out the bracelet he gave me on the day he confessed to me at the music video shoot. I held it in my hands and stared at him intently, “When you really did confess, I realised I wasn’t as happy as I thought I would be. In fact, I was hesitant. And today, I realised if I was a teeny weeny bit hesitant about you, it just means I don’t love you anymore.”

 

I placed the bracelet lightly on the table and Jun Hyung tried to reach out for my face. I stepped back immediately and lowered my head, “I’m sorry, Jun Hyung. I don’t feel the same way I did for you a year ago.”

 

Jun Hyung dropped his hand, speechless.

 

“See you around, Jun Hyung.”