Come Back

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

“Ah choo!” Hyuna sneezed for the umpteenth time.

 

I passed the tissue to her and gave her some warm water. I was awfully concerned for her health since we were so busy with promotions and travelling overseas for concerts. Hyuna was busy but she never complained. It looked like her health was deteriorating every single day.

 

“Are you sure you’re alright?” I asked her again despite knowing her answer.

 

Hyuna smiled lightly at me while placing her hand on mine, “Don’t worry. It’s just a common flu.”

 

Her voice was fine but the colour of her face was undeniably pale. I touched her forehead and was appalled to find out it was burning hot. I yelled at her, “Common flu? You’re having a fever!” I grabbed her hand and tried to pull her up.

 

“What are you doing?” Hyuna stayed seated.

 

“I’m taking you to your manager and tell him you’re too weak to perform,” I told her truthfully. It was our performance today and the day when we received our trophy for the music show. We were happy to get the award but her fever was definitely not what we were expecting.

 

She let go of my hand and stayed rooted to the couch, “I’m not going. I need to perform this. I don’t want to disappoint our fans.”

 

I sat on the couch again, knowing there was nothing I could do if she was that determined. I knew her too well. I tucked the strand of hair behind her ear and nodded, “Okay. If you’re feeling unwell, you have to inform me right away, promise?”

 

“I promise.” Hyuna nodded profusely.

 

I touched her cheek briefly and stared at her. She giggled, “Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“You’re beautiful,” I admitted.

 

“Aish, idiot.” She blushed and turned away from me.

 

I tilted her face. I looked at her again, “Don’t ever look away from me. Ever.”

 

My eyes wandered down to her luscious lips. She seemed to know what I was about to do. She closed her eyes and I did too. Slowly, I leaned closer to her, hoping the sound of my heartbeat would not be too obvious for her to hear.

 

“Surprise!”

 

Suddenly, many voices were heard at the door and opened without proper knocking. I opened my eyes and separated from Hyuna’s side to see who it was.

 

“Omo, ah, hello…” The A Pink members looked awkward. They seemed to catch us ‘in action’. They stood at the door without stepping in.

 

“Aish, you guys,” I started the conversation, “Don’t you guys know how to knock the door?”

 

“We wanted to give you a surprise…” Eun Ji spoke and continued, “But we got a shock instead.”

 

The A Pink members laughed bashfully at Eun Ji’s words and the heat was warming up my face instantly. I peeped at Hyuna and she was embarrassed as well. Eun Ji placed one finger on her lips, “Don’t worry, Oppa. We won’t tell anyone about it.”

 

“Okay, you guys can leave now. We have to prepare for the performance! Shoo!” I pushed them away and closed the door, still hearing the girlish giggling from inside. I sighed and smiled at Hyuna, “What a handful.”

 

- 

 

Despite being ill, Hyuna completed the performance perfectly. However, I could still feel that she was feeling weak from the dancing. After the performance, I quickly held her arm and helped her back stage. I felt her hands shivering. “Hyuna…” I muttered her name.

 

“I’m okay. It’s just cold.” She assured me but I knew it was not the case.

 

Suddenly, Hyuna collapsed and her weight was on my body. I was taken aback by the sudden unconsciousness but held her firmly in my hands, “Hyuna! Hyuna!”

 

The staff members saw the sight and quickly came forward to help. Instead of relying on them, I carried her up and quickened my pace to our waiting room. I kept saying to her, “Please be alright. Please be alright!”

 

I laid her on the couch and held her hand tightly in both of my hands. The staff members began to crowd around and attend to her. Her manager was informed and asked, “What happened?”

 

“She went on stage despite having a fever. Now she has fainted.” I explained to him.

 

Her manager placed his hand on my shoulder, “Hyun Seung, you should go to the stage and receive the trophy. Leave everything to us here.”

 

“No,” I retorted, “I’m not going to leave Hyuna here. I’m going to stay until she’s alright. I’m going to stay until the medics attend to her.”

 

Her manager forced our hands apart and pulled me up, “Listen, Hyun Seung. Hyuna worked hard for this stage. Are you going to waste her efforts by rejecting the trophy?”

 

I paused to ponder. He was right.

 

“Don’t worry about her,” He assured me, “Bring back the trophy. For her.”

 

I gulped and nodded weakly. I was no match for his words. I knew Hyuna would be disappointed if I had stayed.

 

“Okay I will,” I turned to look at Hyuna who looked pretty even though she had fainted, “Hyuna, I’m going to bring back the trophy we had won together. Wait for me.”

 

-

 

At the encore stage, I felt extremely empty without Hyuna.

 

I held on the trophy tightly, with Hyuna at the back of my mind. Thankfully, the A Pink members stayed behind during the encore stage to show their support for our win. I could barely smile at the win because Hyuna was not here with me but I tried my best to conceal my feelings.

 

“Thank you, guys, for staying on the stage with me.” I thanked the members again.

 

“You’re welcome, we’re a family,” Na Eun smiled and said, “We hope Hyuna is alright.”

 

Oh, Hyuna!

 

I ran back to the waiting room and opened the door, “Hyuna!”

 

However, she was nowhere to be seen. Only my manager was there. “Where’s Hyuna?” I panted and asked nervously.

 

“Her condition was worse than expected. She’s taken to the hospital for treatment.” My manager stated sadly. He was not pleased at the situation either.

 

“I want to see her. Take me to the hospital!” I said and packed my bags immediately.

 

My manager stopped me, “No, you can’t. You have another schedule with BEAST, remember?”

 

“Tell them I’m not going. I’m going to see Hyuna.” I stated my stand again.

 

I took my bag and left the room without another word.

 

 

“Jang Hyun Seung! Stop there!” He followed me out.

 

I did not stop. I kept walking ahead.

 

 

“Jang Hyun Seung! Is Hyuna more important than your members?” He shouted, “Are you smitten to the point of sacrificing your members?”

 

I stopped abruptly. I turned around and apologised, “I’m sorry for my behaviour. I’ll go for schedule.”

-

 

Author's Note:

A reference video for this chapter where Hyun Seung is alone and A Pink members stayed for the encore stage! :)