Caring

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyuna’s POV

 

“Cheers!” Everyone echoed as the glasses of wine hit each other.

 

The members of the CUBE Family were just done with their United Cube Concert in Brazil. Doo Joon smiled and put his arm over Hyun Seung, “We’re finally done with our United Cube Concert in the last country. It’s a little pity that we’re ending a family concert here but I had so much fun. Cube Family forever!”

 

The members nodded and drank their wine. Hyun Seung and I sat across each other. I noticed Hyun Seung was being more cheerful than usual and drinking more than usual. I kicked Hyun Seung’s leg under the table. Hyun Seung jolted from the kick and stared at me questionably.

 

“Don’t drink too much,” I mouthed to Hyun Seung with concern.

 

He smiled lightly at her and nodded, “Yes, madam.”

 

At that moment, we both spotted Jun Hyung resting on his left hand and eating his meal while watching us intently. Jun Hyung shook his head and mouthed to both of us, “Don’t act lovey-dovey in front of us.”

 

I widened my eyes and smacked Jun Hyung jokingly. Hyun Seung laughed out loud and shook his head. Doo Joon and the rest realised our commotion and said, “What’s the joke between you three?”

 

“Nothing.” We said together.

 

“Ah!” Ga Yoon suddenly exclaimed and held onto Ji Hyun and So Hyun who were sitting beside her, “Should we head out and have a night out together as a family? Tonight will be the last night in Brazil and we haven’t done much sightseeing yet. We shouldn’t leave just like this, don’t you think so?”

 

Ji Hyun became overly excited and replied enthusiastically, “I agree. There’s not many people in Brazil who can recognise us so it’s a good opportunity to play in the streets. I’m in for it!”

 

Everyone else raised their hands in agreement, except Hyun Seung and I. I was a little hesitant, just like Hyun Seung. After all, it was nearing Christmas and we knew we would have less time to celebrate it together once we headed back to Korea, we wanted to use this time to go out as a couple. I did not expect Ga Yoon to suggest this idea.

 

“Actually, I think I…” Hyun Seung took a quick glance at me as I looked down, avoiding his eyes to remain silent about it, “You know…”

 

As usual, Hyun Seung was not very good with his words.

 

“What’s Hyun Seung trying to imply is,” Jun Hyun interrupted and went over to Hyun Seung. He squeezed Hyun Seung’s shoulders a little as Hyun Seung felt bashful. Jun Hyung smirked and said, “Should we give the couple here a little private time of their own?”

 

Everyone understood Hyun Seung’s intentions immediately and began to tease us individually. I blushed madly as the girls kept poking my cheeks and tickled me, “Stop it! Stop!”

 

“Sorry for being insensitive!” Ga Yoon giggled and continued teasing us.

 

“Unni!” I hissed at her.

 

“Let’s go, guys. Let’s not disturb their private time together.”  Ki Kwang pulled Doo Joon up and the rest as well, leaving the restaurant with the others.

 

Jun Hyung smiled and began to leave us as well. Suddenly, Hyun Seung grabbed Jun Hyung’s arm and called him back, “Jun Hyung!”

 

Jun Hyung turned back and asked, “What?”

 

Hyun Seung glared at him for a second. That frightened me a little before he softened his stare and smiled back at Jun Hyung, “Thank you… my friend.”

 

Jun Hyung seemed relieved and touched by his little gesture, “Anytime for my best friend.” Jun Hyung punched Hyun Seung lightly on his chest and took a quick glance at me, “Have fun with Hyuna.”

 

At that moment, I knew everything was just perfect the way it should be. I was no longer infatuated with Jun Hyung. Jun Hyung was sure of his feelings for Hara. Hara forgave Jun Hyung because she loved him. Hyun Seung was no longer infatuated with me too – because I was finally his.

 

-

 

“Do you know what’s the thing you have to do when you come to Brazil?” Hyun Seung asked me randomly when we were just strolling along the streets of the city hand in hand, not worrying whether we would be caught by the paparazzi.

 

I was just admiring the view and enjoying the lively atmosphere of the streets when I turned to give him my attention, “What is it?”

 

He pointed at the crowd at one side. I looked at them curiously when they were just clapping and swaying their bodies to and fro, looking as if they were having the time of their lives. Hyun Seung replied, “Samba dance!”

 

He held my hand tightly and led me there. Hyun Seung seemed more excited than me as he began to watch the dance. I felt he was dying to join them. “Aren’t you sick of dancing already? From all the trainings and everything.” I asked when he seemed like he was ready to go in and dance.

 

“Why would I be sick of something I love doing?” Hyun Seung replied simply.

 

I had gained so much respect from Hyun Seung. He had never given up on his passion and kept on going until he reached his dreams. From the days in YG Entertainment to CUBE Entertainment, he had never once complained training was hard. Unlike me.

 

The real reason why I left Wonder Girls was because I could not tolerate the days in JYP Entertainment. Thanks to Hyun Seung, I was more determined to do well as an idol. “Thank you,” I said to him randomly.

 

“Eh?” Hyun Seung looked at me questionably.

 

“It’s nothing,” I giggled and moved on with him to the lively crowd.

 

One of the locals took my hand in his and Hyun Seung followed closely behind me and laughed. The local taught me the basic steps to the samba dance as Hyun Seung mimicked the dance perfectly when I was trying my very best to learn it. Hyun Seung held my other hand and led the dance instead.

 

Before we knew it, we mastered it and the locals clapped in amusement to find out we were fast learners. It was amazing to be carefree in the streets since we were not well known in Brazil. We could really set ourselves free and enjoy the moments together – as a real couple.

 

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

“Here.”

 

“Thank you,” Hyuna smiled as she swung her legs to and fro. She looked at the can of coffee I handed to her and exclaimed, “Oh wow, they sell my favourite brand of coffee here too!” Suddenly, she became quiet and her face expression changed. It was confusing to read.

 

“Why the long face?” I asked her as I took a seat right beside her. We were just sitting on the edge of a bridge, tired but pleased with the dancing we did with the locals a moment earlier. Now,  it was just the two of us admiring the beautiful scenery of a foreign country.

 

Hyuna grabbed the coffee and showed it to me, “Remember the day you got this for me on my birthday? It was the day when I found out you know my favourite coffee brand.” She smiled from the thought of it and sighed, “From that day on, I knew there was more to you. But I never expected you to be such an important person in my life.”

 

I took the coffee and opened it for her to drink. I patted her head and admitted, “I don’t only know your favourite coffee brand. I also know your favourite colour, flower, clothes and even things like nail polish.”

 

Hyuna listened to me attentively as I continued, “I also remember the days when you feel sad and depressed when things don’t go your way. I remember the days when you smile genuinely and feel happy with your performances.”

 

“There was never a day I stopped caring about you.”