Where Are You

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

It was already 2am in the morning but Jun Hyung was nowhere to be seen in the house. He was not back from his schedule yet, I supposed. No matter how tired I felt, I still remained awake to wait for him.

 

Finally, the door knob turned and someone entered the house.

 

“You’re back.” I stood up and he put down his bag and removed his shoes.

 

Jun Hyung was taken aback when I was still in the living room waiting for him. He asked, “Why are you still awake? Please don’t tell me you waited for me for the whole night. Only a wife would do that.”

 

Our conversation was still awkward but we could not deny that we were still good friends. I tried to open up and start the conversation proper. I held my hand in my pocket to prevent showing my nervousness. “So, Jun Hyung, I heard you broke up with Hara.” I started off.

 

He paused for a moment and went into the kitchen, “I presume Hyuna tells you things now.”

 

I stayed quiet for a second and asked, “What happened?”

 

“Did Hyuna tell you more?” He ignored me and asked me questions instead.

 

I was surprised. Should I tell him the truth?

 

“I don’t have to guess. I know she will tell you that I have confessed my feelings to her.” Jun Hyung stated directly without pausing this time.

 

I turned to him and face him, “Jun Hyung, whatever it is, please don’t hurt both of their feelings.”

 

“Breaking up with Hara was inevitable.” Jun Hyung tried to explain in the simplest way ever but I was getting more frustrated.

 

I was not agreeing with the way he was handling his love affairs, “No, Jun Hyung. Why did you even get together with Hara when you’re not serious about her? Love is not something you can play with! If you truly love Hyuna in the first place, you will never get together with Hara!”

 

Jun Hyung chuckled and smirked, “I think you haven’t been in a proper relationship yet. Do you really think you are in a position to teach me about love, Hyun Seung?”

 

“Jun Hyung…” I grabbed his collar and clenched my teeth in anger, “Jun Hyung, Hyuna still loves you and since she has accepted you, please treat her well. I’m begging you.”

 

I spouted the last three words desperately.

 

“Of course I’ll treat her…” He stopped talking and asked, “Hold on, she has accepted me?”

 

I was confused, “Hasn’t she?”

 

“No, she was hesitant…” He trailed off and continued, “I told her I would give her time.”

 

I released my grip on his collars and stepped back. I was feeling a little happy about it but I concealed my feelings, “So she did not accept your confession right away? She said she had to think about it?”

 

“Well, yeah. I promise to give her time.” Jun Hyung nodded and raised his eyebrow questionably.

 

I was relieved for some reasons.

 

“Wait, why are you so concerned about her?” Jun Hyung shot back the question at me. I pursed my lips anxiously. He came closer to me and stared, “Please don’t tell me you like Hyuna.”

 

“Well, I… Jun Hyung…” I pursed my lips again to prevent myself from stammering.

 

“Hyun Seung, you know you give yourself away when you purse your lips like that.” Jun Hyung folded his arms.

 

He laughed a little but became serious, “I can’t believe I’m having a best friend for a love rival.”

 

Love rival? Me? Love rival? Who was he kidding? In my eyes, I was never strong enough to be a love rival. Hyuna did not like me and there was no need for a term ‘rival’. I knew who was going to ‘win’.

 

“Jun Hyung, there’s no competition.” I told him truthfully.

 

He gripped onto my shoulder forcefully and stared hard at me, “Look Hyun Seung, I’m going to fight for her. I don’t care if you’re my member or my good friend; I am going to fight for her.”

 

 I removed his hand away, “Like I have said, love is not a game to me. Don’t treat her like she’s a toy, Jun Hyung. Don’t be too smug that she’s going to accept you.”

 

Jun Hyung just smirked and went into the room.

 

“Who was I kidding? Of course Hyuna would accept him…” I trailed off and whispered to myself.

 

I could not believe Jun Hyung would do this to our friendship because of Hyuna.

 

I opened the fridge and took a couple of beers along with me. The boys never knew I hid some beers in the fridge. After all, I was the only person in the house who would know what’s inside since I was the one cooking for them all the time. I left the house carrying the bag of beers to the rooftop. The rooftop was like my own corner for time alone. No one knew about this place, fortunately.

 

I sat down on the floor and started opening the cans one by one, thinking to myself what was running through my mind. Slowly, I felt my eyelids were getting heavier and heavier…

 

Hyuna’s POV

 

My phone rang in the middle of the night. To ensure my phone was not disturbing the other members who were sleeping, I dashed to the table to get my phone. I was pissed and looked at the clock to find out it was almost 3am in the morning. Who could it be?

 

“Hello, who’s this calling at 3am?!” My eyes were half closed and my body was aching so badly from my schedules but my sarcasm was still present.

 

Suddenly, I heard a sly laughter from the other end. No one spoke anything. I took a look at the caller ID after opening my eyes fully. Surprisingly, it was Hyun Seung. After our little quarrel today, I was not expecting a call from him. However, he was not speaking coherently.

 

“Ahhhhhh, the weather… The place… Why is this happening…” He muttered some sentences that did not make any full sense.

 

“Hyun Seung, are you drunk? Please say something to me!” I insisted but he still did not respond accordingly. “Aish, you must be drinking, isn’t it? Where are you now?” I demanded from him but it was of no use.

 

Without a pause, he put down the phone again. For some reasons, I felt worried about him. Thus, I tried calling the other members but they were not picking up. Were they asleep? Were they not with Hyun Seung?

 

Although he was not being sensible in the phone call, I could felt that he was different from other occasions where I had met him. There was something amiss about him.

 

Suddenly, I remembered him saying something.

 

Without hesitation, he answered me confidently, “You’re always at the gym when you’re feeling sad.”

I was surprised at his answer. He knew me so well. No one ever knew that whenever I was feeling down, I would be at the gym working my off, hoping to release all my anger there. I confronted him, “How did you know?”

He dropped my spoon as soon as I said that. “Lucky… Lucky guess? Well, everyone has their own place to go when they’re feeling down. My favourite place to go when I feel down is the dorm’s rooftop.” He laughed awkwardly.

 

Was he really there?

 

I had to take the chance. I took the fastest time to change out of my pyjamas and hurried out of my house, hoping to find Hyun Seung safe and sound.