I Like You The Best

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyuna’s POV

 

“Come on, Hyuna. I want to bring you somewhere else,” Hyun Seung grabbed my hand and lifted me off the ground without much effort although we had just finished a dance practice.

 

“Where are we going?” I asked him curiously. He always did this to me – dragging me off to somewhere without telling me.

 

“Don’t ask and just follow my lead.” Hyun Seung turned around and raised his eyebrows before giving me a cheeky wink. I couldn’t help but chuckle a little at his mischievousness. I realised he was more cheerful than usual because we had just completed our first stage together and we got many compliments from it.

 

In addition, our song was very well-received.

 

I looked our hands. They were intertwined with each other naturally. Hyun Seung grasped onto my hand and his fingers gripped onto mine firmly. Just a few months ago, he was hesitant to do that and avoided any physical contact with me. Now he was finally being comfortable with me.

 

When we were in the lift, he did not let go off me but he did not look at me either. He lifted his head up to stare at the ceiling. My attention went to his Adam’s apple and up to his eyes. His eyelashes – I remembered his eyelashes were the one that attracted me the most.

 

As he held onto my hand even tighter, not wanting to let go, I could feel my heart racing and my face was slowly warming up. What was happening to me? I hadn’t felt like this since Jun Hyung broke my heart. Without realising, I gave a small smile.

 

“Why are you smiling to yourself?” Hyun Seung spotted me smiling and he smiled along with me.

 

“Ah, I’m just thinking of some happy stuff.” I gave an excuse and he did not probe further.

 

He leaded me to the car park and let go of my hand. I was feeling slightly disappointed when he did that but instead, he gave me another look as he made his way to a black sports car and took out car keys. I was overwhelmed by what I had seen, “Oh gosh, don’t tell me this is your car, Jang Hyun Seung!”

 

“I’m sorry to disappoint to you but yes, it is my car.” Hyun Seung flashed a wide smile and opened the passenger’s door for me and took my hand, “Please have a seat inside.”

 

I was happy to pieces. The sports car looked dangerous but it was awesome to sit in one. Hyun Seung made his way to the driver’s seat and closed the door. With much confidence, he drove on. “Jang Hyun Seung, tell me everything right now!” I began touching his belongings and his car. It was too much to take in.

 

Hyun Seung asked me sneakily, “You like the car too, right? I knew my taste is good.”

 

“Hyun Seung, how did you get all of these? The car! How can you afford it?” I asked impatiently when he deliberately avoided my question.

 

He flashed another smile at me and glanced at me while driving, “Well, I just saved up enough money to buy a car. I was going to keep this car a secret from everyone I know but I remembered you said you wanted someone to drive you around for a spin someday.”

 

“You remembered what I have said?” I asked again.

 

“Of course. I remember everything you said.”

 

I stayed silent. I was touched. There was never a guy who was willing to actually hear out my true feelings. Hyun Seung remembered everything – from my schedules to my favourite food and even my random words. I could feel my own heart falling apart – in a positive way and I had never felt so much love from a guy before.

 

“Where are we now?” I shot another question to Hyun Seung again when he parked the car.

 

It was too dark outside and I squinted my eyes to see my surroundings. Hyun Seung opened the passenger’s door for me again and led me out of the car. He answered my question, “We’re at the beach.”

 

As we walked further, I could feel the soft sea breeze and hear the ocean tides hitting againist the shore. This time, I could feel the soft sand under my feet and the view was amazing. “Wow, it’s so peaceful here.” I commented lightly as Hyun Seung took my hand again.

 

I loved the way he always took my by the hand. I looked down, feeling, embarrassed by the fact. “Why are you so quiet?” Hyun Seung asked the question this time.

 

“Why… Why do you always hold my hand?” Actually I knew his answer since he had confessed to me before. However, I wanted to hear the answer from himself instead.

 

Hyun Seung lifted up both of our hands and his lips while pondering. In deep thoughts, he closed his eyes and enjoyed the sound of the waves. I waited for his answer patiently.

 

“I don’t want you to be left behind by me.” Hyun Seung opened his eyes and answered.

 

I tilted my head to show confusion.

 

“I want you to be walking right beside me. I don’t want you to be following behind me. I want you to be right where I am so I feel at ease when I know that you’re here with me.” Hyun Seung continued as my heart skipped a beat due to his words.

 

He was indeed different from other guys. Yes, the fans did see him as a guy with the 4D personality and honestly, that what made him so special from others.

 

“Hyun Seung…”

 

“Hyuna,” He interrupted me and suddenly his mood was better than before, “Let’s play in the water!”

 

“At this time?!” I looked up in the sky to see the darkness of it. It was already close to midnight but he wanted to play in the water?

 

Regardless of which, he happily took my hand and ran towards the ocean. I yelled at the top of my voice, unable to react quickly to the situation, “Hyun Seung, no!”

 

This time, when he was sure that I was right beside him, he let go of my hand and took off his shoes to step into the water. He kicked the water and rolled up his pants so they would not get wet. He laughed out loud as the waves came in and he squealed like a little kid, “Ah, the water is so cold!”

 

“Hyun Seung, how old are you?! You’re still playing the water at this age?” I as I did not dare to step into the chilly water.

 

“Yah,” He called me in the informal tone, “Playing at the sea takes off my worries and problems. The water makes me happy and light. You should try it!”

 

“No way am I going into the cold water!” I shuddered.

 

“Oh no, you are!” He shook his head and came up to the shore.

 

“No!” I ran away from him when I realised what he was going to do.

 

However, he was faster than me and caught me in a jiffy. I thought he was going to pull me into the water but I was mistaken. Instead, he was brave enough to carry me off the shore effortlessly. I was taken aback at his movement as he had never done such a thing before. I yelled and laughed at the same time when he started running towards the water.

 

“Yah! Yah!” I yelled when he was swinging me to and fro.

 

“Yah? Since when I have allowed you to speak to me informally, Kim Hyuna?” Hyun Seung chuckled and went in deeper to the water with my arms hanging onto his neck for my dear life.

 

“I’m going to throw you off in 3… 2…” Hyun Seung joked as I held onto him even tighter.

 

“Jang Hyun Seung!”

 

Hyun Seung let out a huge laughter as he witnessed my frightened look, “Ah, Hyuna, you’re cute when you’re scared like this.”

 

I lifted up my head, ready to give him a good scolding, “Aish, you…”

 

Both of us did not realised how close the gap was between us. My arms were still over his neck and he was still carrying me off the ground. He looked down at me with those intense eyes that I adored and we both stopped laughing immediately.

 

The silence was expected to be awkward but instead, it felt lovely. It was like the whole world had paused for us and we were just embracing each other at that moment.

 

I gulped as we both did not speak and Hyun Seung and I were still looking into each other’s eyes. I started as I made my first tentative step. I did not know what would happen if I said this but I was determined to get it off my chest, “Hyun Seung, would it be too late for me to say that I like you?”

 

Hyun Seung’s eyes lit up but I could not tell what he was thinking, “Hyuna.”

 

“I, Kim Hyuna… like you.” I repeated my words for him.