Jealousy

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

“Today’s not April’s Fool, Hyuna.” I said coldly to her. I did not mean to do that to her but whatever she was saying earlier sounded absolutely ridiculous to me.

 

“I’m being serious.” Hyuna stared at me intently. It was quite frightening to see such glare from her.

 

I sighed, “Why?”

 

Hyuna was stuck. I knew she was just saying it out of impulse. She was not serious about doing collaboration with me. I was the last person she would collaborate with. I sniggered as I muttered out some words, “You’re doing this because of him, aren’t you?”

 

I was harsh towards her. Yes, I loved her but I just wanted her to think it through. However, Hyuna was determined, “So what it’s for him? I want to show him that I am doing well without him.”

 

“You’re using me?” I asked her directly. It hurt me to say that because I did not want to hear her answer.

 

“I’m not, Hyun Seung,” She replied in her gentle voice yet again, “If you think about it, it might be of an advantage for you. You have been hiding under your shell way too much. You need to get out there and shine like a star. No more underrated member of BEAST. No more ‘just another member of BEAST’. It’s just Jang Hyun Seung as a true singer.”

 

Hyuna placed one hand hesitantly on my shoulder. Why was that every movement of hers made my heart go wild? Hyuna continued, “It may make me sound conceited but I can help you… For what you have done for me.”

 

I turned away to allow my mind to calm down and ponder for a moment. I glanced at the laptop screen where the video was paused at the point when Hyuna was so close to Jun Hyung and Jun Hyung was about to kiss her on the lips. If I agreed to Hyuna’s ridiculous proposal, would the person be me instead of Jun Hyung? If she really did a collaboration with me, would she fall in love with me like she did for Jun Hyung?

 

My mind… was seriously going crazy from all the unnecessary thoughts.

 

I took her hand off my shoulders and she was taken aback by my action. I stood up and reached out my hand to her, “So how do we start telling our plan to the CEO?”

 

She grinned when I accepted her idea. She grabbed onto my hand and got up from the floor, “Just leave it all to me. Let’s go and see him now.”

 

She opened the door and turned her back to me again, “And you should really start learning how to speak to girls properly. If not, you would never get a girlfriend, Hyun Seung.”

 

-

 

“What? There’s no way this is going to work!”

 

I was taken aback by his reaction. He was more straightforward than I thought he was. I put down my cutlery and ditched my pasta to talk to him, “That’s not very nice to say to your member, Yong Jun Hyung.”

 

The rest of the BEAST members did not have the time to give me their feedback because Jun Hyung was the first to respond. Jun Hyung messed his hair and frowned, “I mean… A collaboration with Hyuna? And you want to try out a y concept with her? I’m sorry for being so harsh but I don’t think this is going to work out.”

 

“We haven’t even tried.” I explained to him.

 

Jun Hyung shook his head again, “No, it’s too… It’s too risky. I won’t…”

 

He trailed off, knowing that he could not argue with me any further. Honestly, the CEO had agreed to our proposal and he wanted us to go on with it. I did not comprehend why Jun Hyung was so displeased with the idea of me collaborating with Hyuna.

 

I pulled out the last card and asked him, “Are you just being jealous that Hyuna is collaborating with me?”

 

“What?”

 

“You’re jealous because I’m going for the y concept with Hyuna.” I added the fuel to the fire.

 

“You’re being ridicul-“

 

“You’re jealous because Hyuna is going to work with me and hang out much lesser with you.”

 

“What are you talking about?” He was almost up on his feet.

 

I finally raised my voice, “Yong Jun Hyung, just admit it. You like Hyuna! And the fact you don’t want Hyuna to be close to me means that you have a slightest liking for her!”

 

Jun Hyung stomped the table and pointed a finger at me, “Yah! Jang Hyun Seung!”

 

The table was silent for a few seconds. No one dared to speak up – even our leader, Doo Joon. He knew things were getting out of hand and he did not want to probe.

 

“Jun Hyung,” I sighed and gulped as I saw his expression was boiling red, “Just few weeks before, you said you have a liking for her but now, look what happened to you? You have changed your feelings for another girl. Don’t… play with her feelings anymore. A girl, vulnerable like her, cannot take the blow. Just… Just stop.”

 

Jun Hyung was confused as he tried to calm down his nerves, “What do you mean? Hyuna…”

 

“Yes, Hyuna likes you.” I told him the truth in the end. I did not care what consequences it was going to have but he deserved to know the truth, “She brings food for you. She calls you to show her concern. She looks at you differently. She treats you like you’re her boyfriend. That’s only what you will do to someone you like.”

 

Did I have to teach Jun Hyung all that?

 

I chuckled sarcastically at him, “Are you blind to not see what she has done for you? You claim to like her but I don’t see it. Jun Hyung, don’t hurt her anymore. And don’t meddle into her business anymore.”

 

With that, I stood up and went into the room and locked myself in. I did not want to hear his response neither did I want to see his face.