Being There

A Few Tentative Steps

Hyuna’s POV

 

“Just a little… Just a little bit more!” I whispered to myself as I lifted up the dumbbell for the umpteenth time. My muscles were tensed and my arms were hurting so badly but it felt great. It could make me forget all the unhappiness I was having now.

 

“Ouch!” I cried as the dumbbell fell onto the hard floor as my hand gave in and let go of it. I released my hand and collapsed onto the floor. My whole body felt weak as perspiration dripped down from my face to my neck. I panted heavily and grabbed the bottle of water that was lying beside me. I gulped down the water and threw the water bottle violently on the floor.

 

I was angry. I was pissed. I was disappointed.

 

Today’s my birthday. I was a person who really took note of birthdays and would never miss a day of celebration. However, today I was alone by myself… on my birthday. I would only celebrate it with my close ones. But today, I was all alone in the CUBE Entertainment gym, playing some music in the background, working out for a few hours for now.

 

I looked at the clock and saw that it was only 10pm.

 

It was still my birthday.

 

I was hoping time would pass as I worked out but it seemed like time was passing very slowly today. Heaven’s not on my side. I could feel my warm tears flowing out of my cheeks. I wiped them away immediately. “Are you crazy, Kim Hyuna? You’re crying over a guy who doesn’t even know that he hurt you? It’s just a birthday! Get over it! Get over it!” I talked to myself again, hoping to pacify the inner me.

 

“Hyuna!” I heard someone opened the door and called my name in relief.

 

Hoping it was Jun Hyung, I flashed a slight smile at the door only to find myself disappointed at what I saw. It was Hyun Seung. He looked flustered and worried but I couldn’t be too sure with the tears blurring my sense of sight.

 

I looked down to hide my sadness but he came over to me and held my shoulders tenderly. “Hyuna… Are you alright?” He asked cautiously, “Just… Just cry and let it all out, Hyuna.”

 

I had never been alone with Hyun Seung before. He’s always with Jun Hyung every time I saw him and we never made a chance to talk to each other. Now that we were alone, he just had to see my vulnerable side. I whispered his name out of desperation, “Hyun Seung…” Not knowing how to continue with my words, I laid my head on his chest and cried even louder. I punched his chest violently to let out my frustrations but he didn’t wince in pain. He just patted my head gently and let me cry as long as I wanted.

 

Hyun Seung’s POV

 

“Are you feeling better now?” I questioned her again after she had ignored me earlier.

 

She nodded this time and grabbed the cup of coffee that I handed it to her. We were sitting on the gym floor with her music blasting. I turned off the music to allow some silence for her. That was what she really needed right now. I stared at her as she held her cup of coffee and drank it. She looked really sad. I assumed it was because of Jun Hyung.

 

“I…” She stammered in her words and looked at me. After she did, she stopped talking. Was I behaving too strange that she did not want to continue?

 

I looked away from her, back facing her, “If you don’t feel comfortable with me, I’ll look at the opposite direction. Just feel free to say what is on your mind, Hyuna.”

 

Hyuna laughed a little when she saw me turning away from her. I could still see her reflection on the mirror but she didn’t mind. Her smile fell as she started talking again, “He rejected my request.” I was about to interrupt but decided not to. “He said he was busy with work so I accepted it,” She explained.

 

Oh, so that’s the reason.

 

“Well, I thought he was… telling the truth until…” She stuttered again as if she was telling a horror story, “Until I saw him on the streets with my good friend, Hara.”

 

Hara? What about Hara?

 

This time I could not resist but turned and looked at her, checking whether she was alright. I bit my lips and anticipated what she was going to say next.

 

“They were holding hands and laughing with each other,” Hyuna interlocked her fingers together to show me and let go, “Hara even locked arms with Jun Hyung.” She sighed and smirked slightly, “I was the one who introduced Jun Hyung to her.”

 

I was about to reach out my hand to her face to comfort her but she continued, “I was the one who told her that I liked Jun Hyung.”

 

With the words she said, I retracted my hand slowly. This time, she looked me in the eyes for the first time after she broke down and said, “Even you can tell I like Jun Hyung. But Jun Hyung is the only one who can’t see it. He can’t tell… It’s because he has another girl in his heart.”

 

She pursed her lips to stop herself from crying again, “And the person is no other than my good friend. I feel betrayed. I feel betrayed by Hara but I can’t do anything except to keep the pain in my heart.”

 

“Hyuna…” I whispered her name. I was going to tell her I was here for her and she deserved so much more. She’s a good person and she’s a nice person. Jun Hyung didn’t deserve her love like that. Jun Hyung didn’t deserve to hurt her like that. However, as always, I was a coward. “Hyuna, don’t be sad.” I said.

 

“Hyun Seung,” She shook her head, “When you find somebody that you really love and you see the person being in someone else’s arms instead of yours, you can’t help but feel sad and dejected. But there’s nothing you can do about it, that’s what makes it sadder.”

 

She pondered for a long time and shrugged it off, “Aish, you wouldn’t know how I feel. You don’t even have a person you like now.”

 

“That’s what everyone thinks.” I muttered.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.” I stood up and held out my hand to her, “Let’s go.”

 

“Let’s go? Where?” Hyuna pouted and she looked adorable with her cheeks full once again. It seemed like she was feeling better but I wasn’t contented without making her birthday the best day she would ever have.

 

“How can you be crying on a day like this?” I took her hand and turned off the gym lights, “Let’s go celebrate your birthday!”

-

 

Author's Note:

I know I haven't been updating this story as much as I thought. My apologies. For now, I'm focusing on: Love Is (BEAST/B2ST Valentine's Special) instead. You might wanna check it out for now. :)