I Get Hate

Her Dragon And His Queen

Korean English

 

Chapter Thirty-One

 

I was in the meeting room with my team, sajang-nim and all the other parts of the company for a discussion for my next image. I called the meeting and they are all pretty much against my next move.

 

“I've done sweet and y, I've done sweet, y and independent. They have seen sweet in all of my other eras, I just want them to see the raw feelings I contain. Why can't I do that?” I argued in my defence.

 

“Mila-ssi, we can't do that because you are fairly new to the industry. This could completely flop and if it doesn't work out, we will loose money and so will you. You will also receive a lot of hate for displaying emotions like this.” one of the chief promotion staff explained to me.

 

“I think that-” he continued but I cut him off with my giggles. I've noticed sajang-nim not saying anything this whole time so I decided to hold my ground. No more staying within bounds.

 

“Do you think this is funny?” the guy turned around to me, deeply offended that I just disrespected him.

 

“Well... yes. 'You will get hate for displaying your emotions'? That's a joke compared to what I deal with every day. I get hate for being black, I get hate for being a woman, I get hate for being both. I get hate for being both in an Asian country. I get hate for loving who I want. I have received hate from almost every one of you in this room.” I stood up and started to point people out.

 

“'Your clothes are too revealing', 'your make up doesn't look right', 'it's annoying we need to make special clothes to fit her curves' and you, Mr. Promotion manager, 'there isn't one hit single on this album'. You were all right. My clothes are too revealing but I pull it off. My make-up doesn't look right because Korean make-up trends are very different to American standards. It is annoying we need to make clothes to fit my curves as every woman in this industry want to stay skinny as sticks to fit the look. There wasn't one hit single on my second album, there were five.” I finished and sat down with my hands in a position as if to say 'come at me, b*tch'.

 

“Now, Mila-ssi. Calm down, we can't promote this image of you because it will damage a lot of people's reputations.” he amended but I still wasn't backing down.

 

“I don't care. What is the point of making music if the artist can't express the way they feel? What is the point of doing anything if you can't do what you want? The point of having this image is to call out the haters, the people who did you wrong and accepting your flaws. I want to be able to say 'Who the do you think I is?' I am me and no one can change, manipulate or destroy that without my permission. Someone already did that without my permission and I am making myself better from that experience. Don't tell me what I can and cannot do because I will work my d*mn hardest to prove you wrong.” I finalised and sat back in defiance.

 

There was silence, everyone too shocked at what I had to say. Then there was an applause from one person. Sajang-nim.

 

“Well done, Amila-yah. Go do what you like with your music. Remember, you pay the consequences.” he nodded to me with a faint smile and I beamed back. Haha, take that, I thought to myself.

 

I calmly walked out of the meeting room, into my studio and did a victory dance around the studio.

 

“I'm guessing the meeting went well.” a familiar voice that has haunted my thoughts for months spoke.

 

I spun around to see Jiyong standing in my studio doorway.

 

“Jiyong-ssi, what do you want?” I asked coldly, instantly sobering from my good mood.

 

“Mila, we need to talk.” he said, looking down in obvious nervousness.

 

“Come sit. Coffee? Water?” I asked while walking over to my mini fridge to get us a drink each. We need to talk like adults yet I'm still trying to avoid the inevitable.

 

“Water's fine.” he sat on the couch and I placed a bottle in front of him. While I sat on my office chair, sipping water. I made a gesture for him to start.

 

“Mila, please let me explain.” he started but I rolled my eyes.

 

“Jiyong, what is there to explain? I caught you with another woman. You know how I feel about staying loyal. You betrayed me.” I sighed sadly. “I'm done shedding tears over this, I need to move on.”

 

“Yes, I did cheat. There is no other way to explain it and it was inexcusable that I did it. I was stupid, I still am for letting some one as amazing as you get away. The saying 'you don't realise what you have until it's gone' really applies here, doesn't it?” he wondered aloud.

 

“I guess so... why are you here, Jiyong?” I sighed and sat back in defeat.

 

“I came to apologise.” he stated.

 

“I don't want an apology. I want to know the reason why. Was it me? Was it because I was away a lot? Was it because I wasn't good enough? Was it the s*x?” I questioned him with a weak voice.

 

“No, it wasn't you. I guess I was lonely – no, I was being selfish and unfair – I was working with Miss Mizuhara and I will admit I was attracted to her. I lead her on, letting her think we could be in a relationship but I never really meant it. I hate myself for doing it everyday and I can't sleep at night knowing I did this to you.” he got onto his knees and apologised to me with his head down.

 

“Jiyong, look me in the eyes when you apologise.” I said monotonously and he did.

 

“I'm sorry.”

 

I offered my hand out to him and helped him stand. He took me into his arms and I wrapped my arms around his waist.

 

“I haven't forgiven you yet but I don't hate you any more.” I told him and I felt him nod against my hair.

 

“Thank you.” he whispered hoarsely and kissed my temple.

 

~~~~~The Next Week~~~~~

 

The ASCAP awards have come and gone and I won a total of six awards for Halo, Get Me Bodied, Soldier and Love On Top and two for Baby Boy. The most exciting that has happened in my family is that my nephew, Beau Jones Jameson, was born six days after his mama's birthday.

 

He was named Beau to honour our last name and Jones as his middle name to honour our mama's maiden name.

 

I spent a few days in the U.S with my sister to help her with the little addition but Jiyong and I have been in almost constant contact. It's nice to be able to talk to him from a distance but I still get a bit scared if something happens.

 

He keeps on saying he has a surprise for me when I get back but he isn't giving away any hints.

 

I am currently at the World Music Awards after performing Halo. I was receiving the 'Outstanding Contribution to the Arts award which is a very big honour for someone who hasn't been in the industry that long.

 

There was a video of all the achievements and my history in the industry.

 

Amila LaBeau's career started when she was just eight years old when she won numerous talent shows and beauty pageants. She kept on singing and dancing to her hearts content when she moved to South Korea to get away from the hardships of the world. She joined YG Entertainment and her first appearance on the music industry scene was with rapper and CEO, Jay-Z, with Bonnie and Clyde.

 

She continued with her own album which debuted at number one with hits like Crazy In Love, Bootylicious and Listen. Two years later, she released her second album, Introducing Deja, which sold 541,000 copies in the first week. She has hits of Deja Vu, Halo, Cater 2 U, Love On Top and Bills Bills Bills which have all reached number one. Amila has collaborated with artists such as Missy Elliott, Jay-Z, Kelly Rowland, Sean Paul, Lady Gaga and many more.

 

Amila has since sold over 120 million records world wide, won 140 awards including eight Grammy's and 23 times at number one. Amila has starred in 4 feature films including DreamGirls, Cadillac Records, Austin Powers Goldmember and Obsessed. Amila has graced over 200 magazine covers worldwide and launched two clothing lines for LB Jones. And she has donated over $500,000 to charities for young children.

 

Amila. Artist. Musician. Actor. Designer. Philanthropist. Icon.” the introduction finished and I walked on stage and shook the host's hand.

 

Thank you very much. I'd like to start off by thanking my parents as they were my biggest fans. To have that support from your parents is something very very important for a young lady in the music industry. My mother is also my designer, she was backstage sewing until I came out.

 

I of course want to thank my beautiful sister, all of my sisters. Chrissie, Izzy, Chaerin, Dara, Bom, Minzy and Minah. I want to thank my label, YG Entertainment. I'm not too good at these speeches so I'm going to keep it short but I dedicate this to all of my fans. I'm still able to do what I love and respect so much. Thank you for buying all the records, requesting the videos, watching the movies. I love you and this is what I do, this is for you guys. Thank you. God bless y'all.” I finished and walked of calmly.

 

 

A/N: AAAHHHHHHH! Happy New Year! I't's been ages! Sorry it was a bit shorter than normal but I didn't want the chapter to be too long. So, Jiyong and Amila have started to cross bridges, Mila has a nephew(based off of Julez) and she is now stronger. Phwhew, that is a lot for one chapter. Until next time.

-OurAria x