Oprah

Her Dragon And His Queen

A/N: This is more of a filler chapter, sorry. Xx

 

English Korean

 

Chapter Eighteen

 

Today, I am going on the Oprah show and I am so nervous. I have watched Oprah since I was a little girl and she is such an inspiration.

 

I am wearing a light red dress with matching heels with my hair straightened.

 

Amila!” I heard from behind me.

 

Oh my, god. You're Oprah!” I exclaimed when I saw who was behind me.

 

More like 'Oh my, god. You're Amila!' I love your album. It is truly amazing.” she shook my hand and I felt myself fangirl on the inside.

 

Thank you.” I gave her a wide smile and we walked onto set.

 

The audience screamed and cheered when I came out with Oprah. I waved and blew kisses but I had to get ready in my seat.

 

3... 2... 1... and rolling!” the director called and we were live.

 

(A/N: I'm taking this interview from the 2003 interview Beyoncé did)

 

My songs, 'Bootylicious' then 'Crazy In Love', played on the speakers and the audience cheered.

 

We just heard two hits from Amila's debut solo album, 'Welcome'. Amila co-wrote all of the songs on the album and she is the first black woman named 'Songwriter of the Year'.” Oprah introduced me and the audience cheered while I gave her a high-five.

 

First of all, I just think, to be almost nineteen and to be able to do this.” she said while holding my album cover. The audience and I laughed. Me, mainly in embarrassment, the audience, mainly in amusement.

 

The cover image is of me in a really difficult gymnastic pose. I am balancing on one leg with my other one touching the back of my head with the help of my hand. I have a leotard made of crystals.

 

What are these? Are these Swarovski crystals? What is this? Is that what that is?” she asked while motioning to the leotard.

 

They are. That leotard was so heavy, I was like 'Please get me out this' and the photographer was like 'Hold your position' and I'm like 'God, can I please take it off' but the picture came out great.” I told her and the audience laughed at my little story.

 

It is just amazing. It's a beautiful CD.” she complimented.

 

Thank you.”

 

From start to finish. The lyrics to some of your songs, though, really are pretty y.” she observed. “For example, Listen to the lyrics from 'Be With You'.” the audience laughed while I slumped in my chair and muttered “oh, gosh.”

 

'I love the way you make me feel, It slows down time. Come in my bedroom and turn off the lights.' and then a little later, 'Because I love the way you scream my name. And there's no other man that gives me what I want and makes me feel this way.'” she said it in her thick accent which added comedic affect. “So just everyday things. Yeah?” she added and we burst into laughter.

 

Well, that song, well, a lot of my songs are about women and the things that they would like to hear. It's kinda like a fantasy.” I explained with a little bit of embarrassment.

 

It's a fantasy. 'I love the way you scream my name'.” she quoted and that brought on another round of laughter.

 

You know, it's so interesting because when we saw you as a trainee, we saw you as a kind of sweet, kinda y image and now that you have debuted, it's like, you are all the way live with it. It's like you grew up and...” she said.

 

Oh, gosh.” I giggled with flushed cheeks.

 

No... it's like you grew up and found love on a regular basis. If you know what I mean. Yeah, yeah. And the CD is called 'Welcome'. Why is that?” she asked me.

 

It's like an introduction to me, to my music and to who I am. If you are of any race, gender, religion, you are welcomed by me. I love everyone, everyone deserves love and support and some people find that support through music.” I told her truthfully while the audience clapped.

 

And let me ask you this. You're one of the prettiest woman in the world.” she told me.

 

Wow, really? I'm sure there are plenty of other women out there who are a thousand times more beautiful than me, but thank you for thinking that.” I said while looking down, not being able to look her in the eye out of embarrassment.

 

And I saw your dancing at the Grammy's and I was like,” she made a face of shock and we all giggled. “And I'm looking and your skin is so gorgeous. I am thinking like 'Is that a body suit she has on under there?' but it's just like you, your skin is just like silk.”

 

Oh... thank you.” I giggled and looked around to see the audience agreeing.

 

And so when you have all of that going on for you and you know that for yourself.” I nodded along with what she was saying. “You know, 'cause you are beautiful woman and you know you're beautiful, right? No need to say 'Oh, I don't know'.” she stopped my little process of going to say otherwise.

 

Well, if you ain't beautiful, we all just need to forget it.” she stated and the audience cheered in agreement. “Does that then make it difficult sometimes for people to take you seriously?”

 

Absolutely.”

 

Does it get annoying that that's all people think about?”

 

Yes, it's crazy for me that people don't want to believe that people can be y and talented and intelligent all at the same time.”

 

You smart, now. Very smart.”

 

Thank you. People don't want to acknowledge things that they'd rather not talk about.”

 

'I love the way you scream my name'.” she said with a funny accent

 

Yeah!” we all burst out into joyful laughter. “Exactly!”

 

So, what I really admire about you, and I know a few things about you because we have the same make-up artist and sometimes I'll say to Redgie 'I want you to do the same make-up as you do on Amila' and he goes, 'Honey, honey, you ain't got no Amila'.” Oprah told me and everyone laughed at what she said.

 

'Honey, honey', he calls me Mary, 'Mary how can I do hair and make-up on you as I do on Amila, nu-uh. Okay, 'cause I think you need a little more coverage.'” she continued which caused everyone to giggle.

 

No, not at all.” I protested while laughing and scrunching up my nose while I laughed.

 

Anyway, he tells me that a lot of things because make-up artists know a lot about you and he talks about your strength as a woman and your character that you really carry yourself well and deem yourself to be worthy of a woman who is respected.”

 

Yes, thank you.”

 

I think that's fantastic.” the audience clapped in agreement.

 

I understand that you're thinking about doing a clothing line, is that true?” Oprah inquired. I nodded.

 

Yeah, my mama designs a lot of the clothes I wear and she styles my clothes. Even though, I know people are like sometimes, 'does your mom say you're too y' but she actually helps me and sometimes she does, she tells me to calm down a little bit. I think she is so great and I would love to do something with fashion and so I wanna expand in that.”

 

How do you dance in those heels?” Oprah exclaimed and the audience laughted.

 

Yeah, that is the question. Y'know, I started dancing in stilettos at twelve years old and I couldn't walk in them but all summer long, I practised and practised and eventually I was doing cartwheels in them.” I explained while making hand gestures.

 

In stilettos?”

 

Yeah, so now it's like I don't even feel it, but I can't really walk as well as I can perform in heels. It's very strange.” everyone laughed at that.

 

Now, it's been rumoured that you've been dating G-Dragon, Jiyong, right?” Oprah got to the serious stuff.

 

Yeah.” I said quietly, full of love.

 

I don't actually talk about who I'm dating, who I'm not because I think it's important that I concentrate on the music and when you start talking about those things, then that becomes bigger than the art.” I said and Oprah nodded in acceptance.

 

You know what, that was going to be my advice to you. I mean, I was sitting with the producer and told him I was going to tell you to keep your mouth shut” everyone in the studio laughed “about your relationship because it should be private. And I wish if I could re-do this, I would've never mentioned whats-his-name's name.” Oprah told me while everyone was laughing. “I really never would of. I think it's the smartest thing in the world to do.”

 

Thank you.” I thanked her gratefully.

 

It's nobody's business but yours and his.” Oprah practically ordered me while I shook her hand in thanks.

 

Oh, I love you!” I exclaimed and gave her a hug.

 

We had a commercial break and we quickly got back to our seats.

 

Okay, so what does 'Bootylicious' mean?” Oprah asked in curiosity. Myself and everyone laughed and nodded.

 

Bootylicious is, wow, it's now going to be in the dictionary.” I giggled.

 

I heard!”

 

I know, I can't believe that I wrote a word and it's now going to be in the dictionary, C'mon guys, it's not even been a year! It's crazy.” I giggled and so did the audience.

 

Bootylicious is going to be in the dictionary and it means exactly what?” Oprah inquired like it was the most important thing of this year.

 

Well, I'm not sure what the definition will be but I think it's beautiful, bountiful and bouncable.” I told them and everyone cheered and clapped for what I said.

 

And, so now when you see people doing that little move, that's hard to do. That little 'bootylicious' move.”

 

I think every woman can do it.” the audience makes their agreement known, “I really do, I know you can do it.” I gestured to Oprah, the audience laughted/cheered/clapped. Oprah looks at me like 'what have you done'.

 

I don't think so.” she mouthed and I giggled and the audience encouraged Oprah to do it.

 

Well, I've got the bounty and the bounce part,” Oprah strutted, trying to get out of it, “but I don't...”

 

You've got the beauty too!” I exclaimed and the audience yelled in agreement.

 

Y'know, I- I- I don't think- I don't know.” Oprah stuttered.

 

I don't think so. What do y'all think?” I aseds the audience. Audience cheered and clapped in encouragement.

 

Oprah calls people up on stage to dance the bootylicious dance with me.

 

Are you gonna teach us how to do it?” Oprah asked.

 

Only if you do it.” I made a compromise with raised eyebrows.

 

I'mma gonna try and do it.” Oprah said. The audience cheered with me and we all stood up.

 

Okay, we need some 'bootylicious' music.” Oprah said to the sound guys.

 

'Crazy In Love' started playing on the speakers and I start doing the 'uh-oh'.

 

I started to teach them all how to do the 'uh-oh' but Oprah stopped me fairly quickly and made me do it slowly, step by step.

 

Well done, ladies.” I told the woman as they went to go sit back down. Audience claps.

 

We took another commercial break and Oprah and I just taught more dancing to the audience.

 

First of all, let me ask you this. Where you always the prettiest girl in your class?” Oprah asked while leaning forward.

 

No, I was very shy and a little awkward. When I lived in America, I was a little more confident but when I moved to Korea, I was very shy.” I told her truthfully.

 

You were?”

 

Yeah, I had really big ears, that I cover right now, and that is on purpose. And, you know, I was chubby and yeah...”

 

So things have worked out for you.” Oprah leaned back and everyone laughed along with me.

 

Did kids ever make fun of you?” she asked curiously.

 

Yes, they made fun of my ears and in Korea it was my colour. They put pillows behind their ear and they would avoid touching my skin.” I giggled because it was the most ridiculous thing ever. I may have been embarrassing then but I just find it funny now.

 

Well, now they're trying to get tickets to your concerts.” Oprah said smugly and I whooped in agreement.

 

We heard that you have a lifetime contract with Popeye's chicken?” Oprah asked while trying to fight off a smile.

 

I do, actually.” I admitted in shame.

 

And what does that mean?” Oprah asked, “That you can get any free Popeye's chicken at anytime?”


“Yeah, I really love Popeye's, I can't really eat it any more but at one point just every where I went, people would buy me Popeye's and the boss of Popeye's heard and they made me a lifetime membership and whenever I go, I can pull out the card and get free chicken.” I felt my face get flushed and the audience clapped, “But, I've never used it because I've been too embarrassed.”

 

Yeah, I get it. 'I'm Amila and here's my Popeye's lifetime membership card.'” Oprah mocked and I laughed in agreement.

 

So, now you are living the dream. Is it anything you thought it would be?” Oprah asked.

 

It's everything and way, way more.” I sighed.

 

And what is the way more?” Oprah

 

It's really hard to have privacy and sometimes it gets a little overwhelming but I now have learned to take time for yourself and I know my limits.”

 

And you got this at the age of 19?” Oprah looked shocked and I giggled a bit.

 

Yeah, I saw a lot of celebrities that I admire and some of the things they went through. I probably would've been there so I said I have to make time for myself and take a vacation every year to relax and to make sure every couple of weeks I take time off to do thins that make me happy.” I told her and she nodded in agreement.

 

That is what is important. Thank you so much for being here, today with us.” Oprah took my hand and shook it.

 

The pleasure's all mine, thank you so much.” I thanked her and gave her another hug.


“Now, you better go to get ready to perform. We'll be back after the break to see Amila's performance.” Oprah said to the camera and the audience then there was the commercial break for me to get ready.

 

Now, for the performance you have been waiting for, Amila with Listen and Start Over from her new album, Welcome.” Oprah introduced me and the music started.

 

I opened with 'Listen' and then I walked across the stage to sing 'Start Over'.

 

I feel weak, we've been here before

'Cause I feel we keep going back and forth

Maybe it's over, maybe we're through

But honestly can say I still love you

 

Maybe we reached the mountain peak

And there's no more left to climb

And maybe we lost the magic piece

And we're both too blind to find

 

Let's start over

Let's give love their wings

Let's start over

Stop fighting about the same old thing

Let's start over

We can't let our good love die

 

Maybe we can start all over

Give love another life

 

I can see that we're not happy here

So why would we keep pretending when there's nothing there

Maybe you like it, well I don't

Maybe you'll settle, well I won't

 

Maybe we reached the mountain peak

And there's no more left to climb

And maybe we lost the magic piece

And we're both too blind to find

 

Let's start over

Let's give love their wings

Let's start over

Stop fighting about the same old thing

Let's start over

We can't let our good love die

 

Maybe we can start all over

Give love another life

 

I knw this will hurt you

I know you'll cry

I know I called you selfish but that's a lie

I feel I know what's best for us

 

Let's... start over!

And let's give love their wings

Let's start over

I'm tired of fighting about the same old thing

Let's start over

We both know that this love wont die

 

Maybe we can start all over

And give love another life

 

That was Amila, well done! See you next time.” Oprah waved goodbye and I blew kisses to the audience and camera.

 

A/N: Thank you for reading! Happy summer, everyone that doesn't like in the UK (we still have another four weeks before summer break). This is more of a filler chapter but you did get to know a bit more about my OC, Amila. Please, please, please tell me how I'm doing. I really want to know what you're thinking. The good, the bad and the ugly.

 

Sorry it took me a while to update, I lost a cousin in the Manchester Ariana Grande concert. I miss her so much and I hope she is happy. I'm not in the mood for writing a lot but I whipped this up for you as it was mostly finished by the time of the attack. Love you so much xx

 

-OurAria x