Listen

Her Dragon And His Queen

English Korean

 

Chapter One

 

“Mila! You're going to be late!” my mama yelled from outside my bedroom door.

 

“Just a minute, mama. I'm trying to look presentable!” I yelled back.

 

My name is Amila (pronounced ah-mee-la, people always get it wrong) Angela LaBeau but most people call me Mila. My mama and I both live in Seoul, South Korea, because her husband (my dad) split up. Mama got a good job here in a salon. I was only 10 when we moved and it has been six years since then (I am currently 16).

 

We are originally from the 3rd Ward, Houston, Texas, in the U S of A. I have a little sister, Christina, who lives with our dad. We are an African-American family but our dad is Louisiana Creole.

 

I have smooth, light brown skin, thick, wavy-slash-curly (it goes in between), brown hair, strange, big, turquoise blue eyes (it's genetic on my dad's side), a big , good size chest (32C), slight muscle from sports, working out and dancing, full lips and long toned legs. It is safe to say I'm a bit of a looker.

 

I wear a pair of washed denim, ripped, skinny jeans, a black and white flannel around my waist, a white tank top that says 'if there is one thing i'm willing to bet on, it's myself', a black leather jacket, black combat boots and a plain gold chain around my neck.

 

I pick up my backpack then ran out of my room.

 

“Come on, mama. We're going to be late!” I ran down the hallway for the apartment complex.

 

“Did you just...” mama looked at me with her usual sass.

 

“Of course not, mama.” I smiled cheekily at her and kissed her cheek. We got into mama's tiny, blue car that I affectionately call 'the Bug'.

 

Today is the day that my life could change forever. Me, a black, sixteen year old girl, is auditioning for YG entertainment to become a trainee. The entertainment have never had a black girl audition for them before so I don't know how this will turn out. I am planning to sing a song in a capella that I wrote myself and it is in English. Again, I don't know how that will turn out.

 

While we drove I hummed to the tune of the song I will sing.

 

“Good luck, Mila. Head to the salon once you have finished, okay?" Mama said.

 

"Yes, mama. I love you." I told her.

 

"I love you too, little one.” mama kissed my cheek the I got out the Bug.

 

“Bye-bye.” I waved my mama away then turned to the YG building.

 

I clutch my backpack and walk through the front doors. I go immediately to the front desk and smile politely at the woman behind the desk.

 

“Hello. I'm Amila LaBeau, I am here for the audition today.” I bow to the woman formally and she looked at me a little strangely.

 

“Here is the form. Please fill it in when you take a seat. Hand it back so you can get your number.” she told me quickly and handed me a clipboard.

 

“Thank you.” I bowed and went to a seat where other young girls and boys are filling out forms.

 

I quickly filled in the form and attached my passport photo with a paper clip. I handed it back in and to the number #84. Still a while to wait.

 

Slowly, over the period of 4 hours and 29 minutes, the waiting room emptied until there was just me and a girl around my age. The girl got called up before me.

 

Damn, I'm last.

 

When my number is called I stood up, took in a deep breath then followed the attendant. I left my bag at the side of the stage then walked on with my microphone.

 

When I walked out, there were a few surprised sounds and looks of confusion.

 

“Hello. My name is Amila LaBeau but you can call me Mila.” I greet everyone formally.

 

“Hello, Mila-ssi. I am Yang Hyun-Suk, the CEO of this company and can we start of with a little about yourself?” the man behind a desk with lots of paper around him said with a friendly smile.

 

“Okay. I grew up in Houston, Texas, in the USA. My parents split so I moved with my mother to South Korea. We have been living here for six years now. I grew up surrounded by all kinds of music and it is my greatest passion. I write songs for a hobby and I like to choreograph songs that I like.” I told everyone in the room. It looks as if the whole YG family and their trainee's are here.

 

“Interesting. What will you do for us today?” he asked.

 

“A song I wrote myself in acapella.” I said with a nervous smile.

 

“Okay, you might want to blow us away. You don't really look like what we were looking for.” he warned me.

 

“That's alright. The song is in English and it is called 'Listen'.” I said and took a small step back.

 

Listen to the song here in my heart

A melody I start but can't complete

 

Listen, to the song from deep within

It's only beginning

To find release

 

Oh, the time has come

For my dreams to be heard

They will not be pushed aside and turned

Into your own

All cause you won't

Listen

 

Listen, I am alone at a crossroads

I'm not at home, in my own home

And I've tried and tried

To say what's on my mind

You should have known

 

Oh, now I'm done believing you

You don't know what I'm feeling

I'm more than what you made of me

I followed the voice you gave to me

But now I gotta find my own

 

You should have listened

There is someone here inside

Someone I thought had died

So long ago

 

Oh, I'm screaming out, and my dreams will be heard

They will not be pushed aside or worse

Into your own

All cause you won't

Listen

 

Listen, I am alone at a crossroads

I'm not at home in my own home

And I've tried and tried

To say what's on my mind

You should have known

 

Oh, now I'm done believing you

You don't know what I'm feeling

I'm more than what you made of me

I followed the voice you gave to me

But now I gotta find my own

 

I don't know where I belong

But I'll be moving on

If you don't

If you won't

 

Listen to the song here in my heart

A melody I start

But I will complete

 

Oh, now I'm done believing you

You don't know what I'm feeling

I'm more than what you've made of me

I followed the voice you think you gave to me

But now I gotta find my own

My own

 

When I finished there is complete silence. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I just someone to say something.

 

“Thank you very much, Mila-ssi. If you are not contacted in a weeks time, then you have not been accepted. Have a good day, Miss LaBeau.” the CEO dismissed me and I nodded with a smile.

 

“Thank you for the opportunity. Have a good day.” I bowed then walked back stage.

 

3rd POV

 

As soon as Amila was out of site, everyone rushed over to their sajang-nim.

 

“Sajang-nim, you have to take her on as a trainee! I didn't understand a word she was saying but I knew she was amazing.” a young Lee Seunghyun (Seungri) told the boss.

 

“Tablo-ssi, what did the song mean?” Yang Hyun-Suk asked the rapper.

 

“It roughly meant 'Listen to what I have to say. I will not stop until you have heard what I am saying. I can translate the lyrics if you give me time.” he told him. The CEO nodded and turned to everyone.

 

“I know she is amazing and we need her before she goes to another option. But she doesn't fit in this industry.” he reasoned.

 

“How about she is an American artist under our label. She is obviously better at English.” Teddy suggested.

 

“Yes. I'll get my assistant to call her tomorrow.” the CEO decided.