Chapter 38

Running With Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Eight Days Later]

Sunrin glared up at the building in front of her, knowing that the one person she was wanting to talk to would most likely be somewhere inside. She had spontaneously made her way to the Police Station after school. Sunggyu’s silence had gone on for long enough and Sunrin was determined to sort out any issues he had with her today.

She would have preferred to do this at home but as he rarely came home and avoided her like the plague when he was there, he left we with no other choice but to ambush him at work.

It was down to catching him when he wasn’t busy. Unfortunately time was not on her side . Luckily for Sunrin though, Hoya was.

Hearing her phone buzz that told her he had made contact, she pulled it out of her pocket and quickly opened the notification.

 

To- Sunrin

From-Hoya Oppa

Message- Subject just ordered food. Subject will not be on the move for the next hour or so. Subject is in his office with just me for company. Now is your chance to strike.

 

Sunrin had the urge to ask Hoya why he was referring to Sunggyu as a ‘Subject’ but she decided it was probably best not to ask useless questions when Sunggyu was literally inside the Police Station, not busy for once.

Gathering her courage, Sunrin made her way into the Station. She had been to the Police Station many times before the night of the party. She was on first name basis with a lot fo the officers thanks to Sunggyu, Hoya and Jongsuk.

She also knew her way around the Station quite well. She knew Sunggyu and Hoya’s Office was the room a bit further down the corridor from Jongsuk’s Office which he shared with two other officers.

Sailing straight past the Office she had been forced to enter her previous visit, she came to a stop in front of the door that she knew Sunggyu was currently on the other side of.

She knew he was avoiding her and didn’t want to talk to her but she wasn’t going to let him run away this time. Though, out of politeness, she knocked on the door and waited to be invited in.

It was Hoya’s voice that she heard telling her she was allowed to enter. He was her allie after all. Her Co-conspirator. He was the one who spent most of his time with Sunggyu and could see what Sunggyu’s strained relationship with Sunrin was actually doing to him.

Hoya had already warned Sunrin that Sunggyu was a lot more irritable lately. Sunrin hadn’t known that were even possible but she had taken Hoya’s word for it.

Inhaling a deep breath, Sunrin opened the Office door and quickly shut it behind her after stepping inside. Hoya was the first to see her and stood up at his desk.

“Sunrin. What a pleasant surprise.” Hoya chimmed, not surprised in the slightest.

Sunggyu on the other hand was a whole other story.

Upon hearing her name, Sunggyu’s head shot up, his eyes growing two times larger than their usual size. Sunrin did nothing but simply wave at him while feeling all kinds of awkward.

“What’s she doing here?” Sunggyu asked looking to Hoya for an honest answer.

“It’s about time the two of you talk and work out what issues you have with one another. You ordered food, right? I’ll go wait for it to arrive outside to give you both some privacy. I won’t listen inn. I promise.”

With that, Hoya patted Sunrin on the shoulder before stepping out of the office, shutting the door behind him.

A few seconds of silence ticked by and Sunrin found herself shivering from the tension between the two of them. She had never felt this kind of atmosphere between herself and a member of the pack. Not even after Myungsoo had rejected her. She was not going to let it sway her from her goal of patching things up with Sunggyu though.

“So… Have you been busy lately?”

She thought that question would be a good conversation starter.

Sunggyu looked down at the papers in his hands and did so for a whole minute before he finally answered her question.

“Yeah. Really busy.Which is why you should probably leave.” He said, his voice sounding ice cold. She pushed on though, deciding to just get straight to the point.

“You’ve been avoiding me since the night of the party. I think we’re both aware that I’m not leaving here until we both find a way to get past this.” Sunrin sighed as she sat down in the chair in front of the desk he currently sat at.

“Now I know that you’re mad about me going to the party but I’m starting to get the feeling that there is more to your anger than just that incident.”

“Well you seem to have it all figured out so why don’t you tell me why I’m so angry?” Sunggyu snapped which made Sunrin jump slightly . Only from the shock that he was actually talk to her. Those words were the most he had spoke to her all week. It was progress.

“I’m not leaving until you tell me why you’re so angry.” She stated, preparing herself to remain at the Police Station for the entire night if that is what it would take for him to hash things out with her.

“Do you realize how worried I was when I got that call from Jongsuk?”

“Of course I do.”

“I don’t think you do. When I got that phone call there were so many scenarios that were playing out in my mind as I made my way here. Situations that could have happened at that party that I could have prevented from happening if you had told me where you were going that night.” Sunggyu snapped again, this time slamming his hands down on the desk in front of him.

Sunrin didn’t jump this time though.

“Nothing bad happened though.” She found herself mumbling in her defence.

“That not the point. The point is that if something had happened to you, something I could have stopped if I had known where you were then I could never be able to forgive myself.” Sunggyu exclaimed. Sunrin remained silent , knowing that there was more to the story than just that.

“Sunrin, the day that we found you, I made a promise. A promise to you, Sunri and myself. I promised that no matter what I would protect you. I failed to protect your Umma that day but I intended to honour that promise through you. I was disappointed because I thought we were close enough for you to understand that you wouldn’t have to keep secrets from me.”

Sunrin could help but frown at Sunggyu’s words.

“If I had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter