Chapter 22: Last moments of 2016

Love behind-the-scene

15 minutes to 2017, Eric looked at his mobile phone while waiting for Solar to arrive at the Ddongi house. It was their promise to each other made on Christmas - to spend the last minutes of 2016 and the first minutes of 2017 together. Looking at the preparations he has made for the past hour, Eric was excited to see how Solar would react. Rose petals forming a big heart in their living room was where Eric planned to sit. 2017 will be a busy year as MAMAMOO will be expanding their career towards the Japanese market and Eric will be focusing a lot more on his singing career than he has ever been. Solar has been hardworking recently, studying Japanese yet again. She has stopped for quite awhile to focus on their career in Korea. Eric is proud of his girl and glad that her efforts has started to pay off as their group gets more popular.

 

"Is she going to reach in time?" Eric thought to himself as he panicked silently, looking as the time ticked towards midnight...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*THROWBACK TO DDONGI CHRISTMAS*

"Unnie~ do we still have other schedules after 1030pm for tomorrow?" Solar gave her manager the sweetest smile as she asked. "Solar Unnie, why do I feel like you are going to ask for a favour?" Hwasa interrupted as she gave Solar a sly look. MAMAMOO's manager checked her work schedule and shook her head in reply. "A-sa!" Solar gave a celebratory punch in the air. Today is 23rd December. Solar was thrilled that she could squeeze some time to prepare for a mini event for Eric for tomorrow, it would be their first Christmas Eve together.

 

That night, the beagle-dols went for late night shopping at the supermart. All of them wore black hoodies, caps and masks to cover their identitites. "Unnie, what are you planning to do tomorrow with Ric-hyung?" Hwasa whispered as she gave Solar a nudge. "Ya..that's a secret for Solar Unnie..." Wheein linked arms with Hwasa as she spoke. "We three should just lock our door tomorrow night so that Solar Unnie cannot get home." Moonbyul smirked, giving high-fives to Wheein and Hwasa. Solar tried her best to give a death stare to her members but soon broke into her signature laughter. She was totally excited for tomorrow after texting Eric half an hour ago to confirm their date. Though the members teased when they saw the heart emoticon he has sent to her in his reply, she was thankful she met this great guy.

 

"Wow Unnie, you've bought alot of ingredients. Are you sure you will have time to prepare all of them tomorrow?" Wheein peeped over Moonbyul's shoulder to see what Solar has bought. Solar nodded with a determined look as she packed the items. "Do we get our share of Chef Kim Yongsun's cooking too?" Hwasa placed her arm on Solar's shoulder as she spoke. "Hyejin ah, I may need your help though.." Solar looked at Hwasa with pleading eyes, Hwasa's cooking was technically the best out of the members. Hwasa smiled as she mouthed 'Ok'.

 

Back in MAMAMOO's hostel, the girls got busy with preparation of food. Solar was planning to pack a special Christmas supper set for herself and Eric. As she and Hwasa got busy in the kitchen, Wheein and Moonbyul helped with clearing up as they cooked. After 2 hours, they were finally done cooking. "Yay~ Cant wait for our Christmas feast tomorrow!" Wheein cheered as they all plopped onto the couch. "1,2,3, Oi!" the girls did their MAMAMOO cheer and gave each other high-fives.

 

Solar's preparation was not done yet. As she sat at her table, her hands got busy making the Christmas card for Eric. It was not an ordinary card, she had planned to put a recorded song into the card so that the song will be played the moment Eric opens the card. She has found a video tutorial online few weeks ago and have been spending time getting all the materials needed and recording the song with her own voice. Together with her sincere words, Solar smiled as she held up her final product. "Please let Oppa love this." Solar said a silent prayer as she dozed off...

 

On Christmas Eve...

 

"Yoonddongseu~ dont forget our date tonight! I'll see you later at our hide-out. Bbyong bbyong~" Solar's voice message brought a smile to Eric's face as he heard her voice. "Ya ya ya...dont make us die of envy tonight, will you?" Amber nudged Eric as he smiled at his phone. They were having a short dinner gathering at Kevin's place together with Ailee. "Hyung, maybe we should get you so drunk that you cant turn up for the date.." Kevin gave an evil look as he refilled Eric's cup. "You guys are totally devils in disguise, our Eric needs some nourishment from Solar's love you know." Ailee laughed out loud as she said, her sentence totally made Amber and Kevin cringed their fingers and toes. The funny duo went on to try to un-cringe each other's fingers and toes, drawing laughter from Eric and Ailee. Finishing their dinner party, the trio bid Eric farewell as he went off for his date with Solar. "Hyung, so where are you two going to?" Kevin asked out of curiosity. Eric placed a finger on his lip and waved bye to them. "Eric oppa, you're a changed man now. You've changed, changed~" Eric turned around and gave them a V-sign as he laughed at Amber's shoutout...

 

Eric picked up 3 roses from the florist before heading over to Solar's secret hideout - it was the place she has brought him to for their first offscreen date. It was the place where their hearts open up to each other, sharing their true self. They have not been here for awhile as their busy schedules only allow short but sweet dates. Solar was busy setting up the picnic mat and laying out the food she has prepared for tonight. She had not noticed that Eric had already spotted her and was trying his best to make as little noise as possible as he tiptoed his way to her back. Slipping his arms around her waist, Eric laid his head on her shoulder and gave her a quick peck on the cheek as he brought the roses in front of her. "Hello Baby.." He whispered in his most cheesy voice, making her smack his hand slightly from the greesiness. Turning around, Solar beamed sweetly at Eric. "Ta-da! Look what Chef Kim has prepared for tonight!" Solar has prepared salad, soup and fruits for their christmas supper. To make the atmosphere cozier, she has also brought along candles placed in glass cups and also some alcohol.

 

"That's not all..Jjan!" Solar brought out her handmade card as they sat down on the mat. "Dont open it now. Do it at the strike of midnight ok?" Solar started feeding Eric to make sure he was busy eating and would leave the card till later. The couple enjoyed the night sky, sea breeze and the crashing of waves together with their christmas supper. "5,4,3,2,1, Merry Christmas!" Solar leaned into Eric's arms as they countdown to Christmas. "So I can open the card now?" Eric opened the card as Solar looked on with eager eyes.

"I don't want a lot for Christmas

There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own

More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true oh
All I want for Christmas is you

I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need, and I
Don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree

I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace
Santa Claus won't make me happy
With a toy on Christmas day

I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you

I won't ask for much this Christmas
I won't even wish for snow, and I
I just wanna keep on waiting
Underneath the mistletoe

I won't make a list and send it
To the North Pole for Saint Nick
I won't even stay awake
To hear those magic reindeer click

'Cause I just want you here tonight
Holding on to me so tight
What more can I do
Oh, Baby all I want for Christmas is you

All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's
Laughter fills the air

And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa won't you bring me
The one I really need
Won't you please bring my baby to me quickly

I don't want a lot for Christmas
This is all I'm asking for
I just wanna see my baby
Standing right outside my door

I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
Baby all I want for Christmas is you

All I want for Christmas is you, baby~"

 

As Solar's voice from the recorder ended the sweet song, Eric pulled her closer to him, planting a kiss on the top of her head. 'To my dearest Yoonddong oppa, this year you said that i was your present for Christmas. I want to let you say know that you are also my gift for Christmas this year, the best Christmas gift I have ever received. I may not be good at expressing my gratefulness and love, but I hope you can feel them through my actions. Just like the lyrics go, all I want for Christmas is you...' Eric blushed at Solar's sincere words. He was surprised by her efforts to plan tonight's event. In fact, he is very touched.

 

"Yongsun ah" Eric said as he held her hands, "Thank you for all you've done today. I really didnt expect this at all. Thank you.." Solar nodded as she smiled sweetly at him. She could feel that her event was a great success. "Oppa~ I know this may be a difficult request but could you spend new year's eve with me this year?" Eric ruffled Solar's hair as he hooked pinkies with her to make the promise. "No request is too difficult from my Yongddong..."

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Solar ran up the stairs to Ddongi house, she could not wait for the lift as she knew she was going to be late for their new year eve date. Panting as she finally reached the door, Solar tapped the door code and opened the door. It was 10 seconds from the midnight. Eric smiled as he opened his arms to welcome her into his embrace.

 

"5, 4, 3 ,2 ,1..Happy new year Yongsun ah..." Eric smiled as he raised her chin up. The couple bid 2016 farewell and welcomed 2017 in the midst of a kiss. What better way to usher in the new year?