Chapter 20: Eric's birthday

Love behind-the-scene

It was 11.45pm on 16th November. Eric was dragging his tired body up the slope to his home. Despite being the birthday boy in 1 hour's time, he could not feel anything special as he knew this year as usual he would be spending his time at work. Tomorrow morning he would need to fly off to Hong Kong to interview an actor for his new movie. Gazing at the night sky, Eric wished that Solar would just appear in front of him right now. But no, he knew that would not be possible as she was still at a scheduled performance promoting their new comeback album.

 

Tapping the door code to his apartment, Eric was just a few steps away from home. After opening his front door, he stood stunned at his door step. There were line sticks arranged on his floor to form a heart shape and followed by a path which leads to his living room. Listening for tell-tale sounds, Eric chuckled as he heard her signature giggling in a softer version. No doubt, it is Solar. "Hmmm I wonder who would be behind all these? Yongsun cant be here since she has schedules on. Could it be..." His voice trailed off as he noticed Solar hiding in the dark behind the couch. "Boo!" Eric jumped onto his couch and scared the daylights out of Solar who screamed at a very high pitch.

 

"Oppa~ you're so mean! I'm supposed to be the one scaring you, not the other way round..." Solar pouted as Eric pulled her up and into his arms. Wrapping his arms around her waist, Eric placed his forehead on hers. "How come you're here? I thought you had a performance till late tonight?" Solar winked as she placed a finger on her lips gesturing that it was a secret. "I have my own ways of course. Lets light up some candles for tonight~" Skipping into Eric's room, Solar came back out with her hands behind her. "What are you hiding behind your back?...Sshh...Oppa, just follow my instructions ok? First, lets put this on you." Placing the elastic bands around Eric's ears, Solar covered his eyes with a night mask. She held his hand and guided him into his room.

 

As the clock struck midnight, Solar removed the night mask and Eric was touched by the photowall she has placed. Solar has printed all the photos she had taken using her phone without him knowing and wrote what was happening at that point in time for each photo. There were photos of him cooking for her, taking a nap beside her, and many more photos of him at moments of time which he did not realise her phototaking. "Happy Birthday~" Solar whispered as she gave him a back hug, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist. A wide smile spreaded across Eric's face as he placed his hands over hers and read the little notes she wrote beside the photos.

 

"Why is there a last frame with no photo in it?" Eric turned around and placed his arm on her shoulder. Blushing at his question, Solar could not hide her shyness. "I was thinking of taking a photo together on your birthday...You know..Like us in a kissing pose..." Her voice trailed off as she ended her sentence, embarrassed by her request. Eric chuckled as his ears caught on what Solar was saying as she blushed and bowed her head low. "Let's take it now then." Just as he ended his sentence, Eric was already prepared with his mobile phone camera in one hand. His other hand lifted up Solar's chin and sweet adrenaline rush flowed between them as their lips met. This was one of the best birthday gift Eric ever had...

.

.

.

.

.

.

In the wee hours of the 18th, Eric was finally done with his shower after a long day of flying to Hong Kong and ending the interview on a good note. Tapping his camera on, he took a selfie of himself freshly showered in his hotel room. "Thank you for all the birthday wishes. So thankful for all of my blessings - family, friends, and you. Thank you..." He posted his selca on his social media accounts to thank the many fans and everyone who have remembered his birthday. Ding-Dong! A line notification popped up just seconds after he posted. Eric smiled as he saw the contact name - Her. He has discussed with Solar and decided to change the contact name in each other's phone to something different from their virtual marriage names. Now it is just simply "Her" and "Him" in their respective phones.

 

"Oppa~ Did you go and party by yourself in Hong Kong without me? I just saw your post. Who is that YOU? Don't tell me you met a new girl...Kekeke.." Solar's voice message ended with her signature giggling, making Eric grin as he pictured her silly expression. "Ya...Don't you know my heart is occupied by a cute girl with chubby cheeks?" Eric pressed "sent" as he ended his voice message on a cheeky note, he knew very well she hates it when he pokes fun at her cute chubby cheeks.

 

Counting to 3 seconds, Eric laughed as his phone began to vibrate from an incoming video call. It was Solar, probably pouting in her room right now. "Nam Yoondo~ I'm warning you. Leave my cheeks alone, they are mine." Solar pouted as she finished her sentence. Chuckling at her adorable words, Eric nodded. "Have you eaten? I dont want those chubby cheeks to disappear you know..." Solar puffed up her cheeks like a hamster as she heard him. "They are my best friends, even if I lose fats elsewhere, they will never leave me..Oppa, I miss you...I know its just less than 24 hours since we met, but tonight i really wish i could be with you.." Solar's gaze became sad as she confessed. Eric nodded, he was aware that these days they would be having lesser chances to meet as their schedules get crazier. "I miss you too..just take care of yourself when I'm not with you alright? We will have more time once you finish your comeback promotions.."

 

That night, despite being miles apart, the couple's hearts got closer as the old saying goes "Absence makes the heart fonder"...