The Life of Reindeers

Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Christmas is over, I know, but a friend of mine started a writing challenge for this past weekend on the Mamamoo Amino and I happened to get the plot that said "Their Lives as Reindeers".  This story is the result of that LOL

 

 

Santa Byul and her wife Yong Claus has been raising reindeer since they were a young married couple.  Byul’s dad had passed on his tradition of delivering gifts on Christmas to all the children of the world and the reindeer were a big part of it.

 

Many years ago, the cutest little reindeer was born and Byul and Yong fell in love with the little baby the moment they saw her.  She had the reddest little nose they had seen on a reindeer and the fluffiest little tail. They had named her Wheein and they took great care of her.

 

Wheein would grow up to become the lead reindeer pulling Santa Byul’s sleigh as her bright red nose could light the way.  As an adult reindeer, Wheein never lost her cuteness. She was a little thicker than all the other female reindeer pulling the sleigh, her tail was even fluffier than when she was a baby and her antlers, although smaller than the others, had their own cute charm.

 

Wheein would spend her days outside in the snow, running around, playing with her friends, helping pull a small sled when Yong would go harvest her fruits and veggies during the summer months, and she even had the privilege to enter the home of her human owners.

 

There were only a couple of months left before Christmas, the elves were busy finishing up all the toys and sorting them out, when Santa Byul realized she was running low on firewood.  Wheein was enjoying her breakfast inside the barn when Byul entered looking for her.

 

“Good morning Wheenie.  Enjoying your breakfast huh?” Byul’s voice made Wheein’s ears perk up and she turned to look at her owner.

 

“Want to go out for a run today?  I need some firewood.” Byul said as she entered Wheein’s holding area and gently ran her hands down Wheein’s back.

 

Wheein loved going out and never minded pulling the smaller sleigh for Byul or Yong.  Her tailed wagged back and forth and Byul took that as a yes from her beloved reindeer.

 

A couple of hours later, Byul had stopped at the edge of the pine tree forest and left the sleigh and Wheein next to a tree.  She asked Wheein to stay there as she went deeper into the forest to find logs she could chop down and take back to the workshop.

 

Wheein had learned long ago how to unhook herself from the reigns of the sleigh so she could prance around in the snow and distract herself while Byul was away.  She had been kicking some snow around when she suddenly felt the ground shake and a rumbling sound got louder and louder.

 

Moments later, a herd of wild reindeer ran past her some hundred feet away.  Wheein had never seen so many wild reindeer and she was excited. Feeling the need to feed her curiosity, Wheein ran towards the wild herd wanting to see more of them.  The closer she got, she noticed that the herd had stopped to drink in a nearby pond that wasn’t frozen yet.

 

Her widened at the sight of so many reindeer and her eyes landed on the most majestic reindeer she had ever seen.  The reindeer wasn’t much bigger than all the others, but their antlers were huge and looked so powerful. Wheein couldn’t deny her attraction to this reindeer and she wanted a closer look.

 

She began a slow pace towards the herd but she missed the sudden drop in the snow and she landed front hooves first and tumbled down onto her side.  She felt a sharp pain on her right front leg and cries out. Wheein didn’t know if her leg was broken or not, but it really hurt and she was afraid that she couldn’t move.

 

“Ow!  It hurts so much…” Wheein cried.  “Help!”

 

“Hey look what we have here…” A deep male reindeer voice said.

 

“It’s a girl!” Another voice said.

 

“What happened to you?” The first voice asked.  The shadows of two male reindeer said above her.

 

“Her leg is broken look at it.  It looks weird.” One of them said and they both started laughing.

 

“Hey!  You two get back to the herd before the wolves get you!” A husky female voice yelled at the two male reindeer.

 

“Wolves?! Aaahhhh!!!!” The two reindeer screamed and ran off.  It was then that Wheein could see they were still young reindeer.

 

A shadow of the biggest antlers Wheein had seen suddenly shadowed over her and she saw it was the majestic reindeer she had seen moments earlier before her fall.

 

“Your leg is broken.  Don’t move.” The reindeer told her.

 

“It’s hurts so much.” Wheein whimpered.

 

“I know.  I saw you earlier with a human.  Maybe she can help?” The reindeer leaned closer to Wheein, examining her with her light brown eyes.  It was at this moment that Wheein felt her heart skip a beat.

 

The majestic reindeer was beautiful and Wheein was in love.

 

“Yes, she probably can but how can I get to her?” Wheein asked.

 

“Hmm..” the reindeer pondered for a moment.  “Can you try and lift your body up using your other legs?  I’ll carry you.”

 

“Carry me?” Wheein wasn’t sure how she could do that.  She had never seen a reindeer carry another reindeer.

 

“Just try.  I have an idea.” The majestic reindeer told her.

 

“Okay…” Wheein was unsure but she tried keeping her broken leg still and moved the rest of her legs to try and lift her body.  It was tough, she winced through the pain and lifted her body as far up of the ground as she could.

 

Suddenly she felt the antlers of the female deer gently scratch her belly and she was flying in the air for a moment.  She landed right on the reindeer’s back and tried to steady herself.

 

“Wow it worked! I’ll try to go as steady as I can, just lead the way.  My name is Hyejin by the way.” Hyejin told her and started a slow pace away from where Wheein had fallen.

 

Hyejin...such a beautiful name.

 

Wheein was so surprised at how Hyejin was even able to pick her up and carry her.  She hoped she wouldn’t fall but felt safe on Hyejin’s back at the same time.

 

“I’m Wheein.”

 

“Nice to meet you Wheein.” Hyejin replied and Wheein swooned at the way Hyejin said her name.

 

Wheein explained the way she came from and where Byul had left the sled that she had been pulling.  Slowly Hyejin made her way towards the edg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter