Chapter Two

Nae Idol

Six months ago, Seung Hee had accompanied Ha Na to a fansigning event of a band that was just skyrocketing in popularity. The queue packed the area and after waiting in line for three hours, Seung Hee was desperate for the bathroom. She told Ha Na to guard her place and went to beg the security to let her inside the building for the bathroom. After telling her that she reminded him of his daughter and warning her not to go anywhere else besides the restroom, the security guard let her in.

 

She had forgotten to ask where the restroom was so she found herself running all over the building, looking for a toilet or someone to ask for directions, panicking more and more as each second ticked by. She shouldn’t have run like that—she knew it but couldn’t help it and crashed straight into someone. Seung Hee was sent sprawling on the floor, and sat there dazed for a while, processing everything that had just happened. Finally it clicked, and she got up quickly and bowed.

 

"I'm sorry,” she gasped. “I made a mistake, I’m sorry.”

 

"Do your job properly,” ordered a deep, rather husky voice. “You want to get fired?”

 

"Excuse me?" Seung Hee raised her eyes and nearly passed out as she came face to face with none other than Suga.

 

She became so excited that she didn’t notice his sour expression. An attentive fan would have realized that he was exhausted from signing so many autographs and meeting so many people, and would have said something nice like, “Oppa, fighting!” and left him alone.

 

Seung Hee was not a fan but his mere presence dazzled her. His looks were so incredibly sublime, no photograph could do that face justice. His dark eyes were intense and deep, one eye half hidden by blond hair and his jawline was so delicate yet so pronounced.

 

"S-Suga," she stuttered. “I’m so sorry that I crashed into you like that, please forgive me.”

 

"Open your eyes!” he snapped. The harshness of his voice surprised her—where was that polite and charismatic man that appeared so often in front of the camera? He didn’t stop there. She must have caught him in a particularly foul mood because he said, “You won’t get paid with this sloppy kind of attitude of yours.”

 

"Paid?” she said. “No, I came to-“

 

"Are you the new stylist’s assistant?” He sneered as he took in her appearance. “You look a little young to me.”

 

"I'm not-“

 

"Who hired such an irresponsible girl?” he cut in. “I know what you are: a stalker fan! You got this job so that you can pry into my private life. Have you got a lot to post online?”

 

At this, Seung Hee became utterly disgusted with herself. How could she have even been excited to see such an egoistic jerk?

 

"Why would anyone be here just for you? There are six other members and they are all much better than you!”
Either he didn’t hear her or he didn’t care. Seung Hee was betting on the latter as he demanded, “You bumped into me on purpose, didn’t you?”

 

“It was a mistake, and I’m not even working here!”

 

"She’s right,” said a new voice, strolling up nonchalantly. “Hyung, I bet she came for the fansigning. See, she has a CD.”

 

"Jungkook?” asked Seung Hee, hardly daring to believe her eyes – were there really two members of BTS right in front of her?

 

He turned and grinned in answer; it was so bright it felt like a ray of sunshine. Seung Hee's heart did this weird somersault as she smiled back at the youngest member of BTS—the maknae. His soft brown hair kept falling in his warm eyes and his face lit up with his honest smile.

 

"Great, you’re ARMY!” he exclaimed. After Suga, Jungkook's obvious delight in meeting her was even better.

 

“How long have you been a fan?"

 

"Oh,” she said, blushing slightly. “I’m not really a fan—my friend is, I keep her company.”

 

"Then, you don’t like our songs?” he asked, visibly disappointed.

 

 "I do," she said hurriedly. "I love BTS songs.”

 

Jungkook perked up again. “Really? Which one’s your favourite?”

 

"I like them all, but especially House of Cards.’”

 

Jungkook was delighted. "I sing a lot in that one!"

 

Seung Hee hid a smile at his excitment. "I know."

 

"Does this mean that I’m your favourite member?”

 

She laughed; how could such a big Hallyu star be so pleased with something so small? “You are my favourite.”

 

"Great!” he cried, giving her a sudden hug. “Awesome! You’re the first girl who ever said she liked me the best!”

 

That was hard to believe. Jungkook was so outgoing and genuine...

 

“I’ll sign your CD,” he said, taking the pen and signing with an excited flourish. “There. Do you want more signatures?”
 

“Is the event over?”

 

"Yeah, but I can get the others to sign since you’re my fan."

 

"Oh, I-I'm happy with your signature," she said nervously, glancing at a glowering Yoongi. "Um, could you sign this paper, too?”

 

Jungkook positively beamed. “What’s your name?”

 

"L-Lee Seung Hee...”

 

"Seung Hee," he said, writing on the paper. “That’s a cute name. How old are you?”

 

"I'm seventeen."

 

"I knew it! I’m your oppa!”

 

He gave her back the paper, in which he had written ‘To Seung Hee’ and drawn a big smiley face. Then it was signed, followed by ‘xoxoxo’.

 

"Thank you,” said Seung Hee faintly. Jungkook was just so… so… different… he was so friendly even though he had just met her. And he seemed so sincere about everything.

 

"Come on, Jeon Jungkook," suddenly growled Suga. “Next schedule now.”

 

"Yes, hyung." Jungkook gave Seung Hee one last hug. “Hope to see you again, Seung Hee! I’ll look for you.”

 

Suga rolled his eyes and dragged the younger away, saying, “You’re overreacting, she’s obviously a stalker fan.”

 

"Yoongi hyung! She’s my fan, don’t say that!”

 

Their voices faded as they walked away, but every now and then Jungkook kept looking back, waving. Seung Hee stood rooted long after they had gone. It was part of the side effect of meeting Jungkook. She was glad that she had bumped into Yoongi, even if he was pretty scary—meeting Jungkook was worth it.

 

* * * *

 

When Seung Hee went to school the day after meeting the Mins, she was dying to tell Ha Na but at the same time was terrified that Ha Na would kill her even though her bias was Rap Monster. Ha Na wouldn’t tell anyone, she knew that, but who had an arranged marriage in the twenty-first century? And who ever heard of a high school girl marrying a guy six years older? No one! It was ridiculous.

 

After school,Seung Hee treated Ha Na to dukbokki. The best way to say it would be to say it straight without beating around the bush. Before she lost her nerve, Seung Hee said, “Ha Na, I’m getting married.”

 

"Ok,” answered Ha Na, taking a bite of dokbokki. “I’m going to marry Rap Monster one day.”

 

"No, I mean I’m getting married in three weeks.”

 

Ha Na choked on her dokbokki and Seung Hee passed her a glass of water and had to tap her on the back.

 

"You w-what?” spluttered Ha Na, her face red.

 

"I’m getting married in three weeks.”

 

"Nice try. You won’t fool me, you’re still in high school.”

 

"It’s all Grandfather’s fault!”
 

Something in her tone must have made Ha Na realize that she wasn’t kidding around, because Ha Na became so stupefied that she froze with a bit of dukbokki halfway to . Maybe Seung Hee should have found a more subtle way to tell her...

 

"This is Grandfather’s fault?” she asked.

 

"He planned it!” cried Seung Hee, getting worked up. “He wants me to be ‘taken care of’ and stuff!”

 

Ha Na's eyes widened and she bombarded Seung Hee with quesstions. "Will you live with that guy? Is he also in high school? Do I know him?”

 

"He’s not in high school,” said Seung Hee slowly- Ha Na would get the biggest shock of her life soon. “You know him, though. Kind of.”

 

"Really? Who is it?”
 

Seung Hee took a deep breathe. “It’s Min Yoongi.”

 

Ha Na looked puzzled. "Min Yoongi? I don’t know him…” Then her eyes widened and she screamed, “SUGA?!!!”

 

Seung Hee winced and nodded and Ha Na gasped. “How does your grandfather even know him?"

 

Just thinking about it gave Seung Hee a headache. “He was close with Min Yoongi’s father and and yeah, that kind of thing.”

 

"Wait…” Ha Na seemed unable to grasp the situation. “You and Yoongi? BTS's Suga? You’re so lucky!”

 

Ha Na's reaction made Seung Hee remember something else she had to say.

 

"Ha Na, you can’t tell anyone, ok?”

 

"Huh? Why not?”

 

"He’s an idol! It’ll affect his image and I don’t want this to get out either. It’s embarrassing.”

 

"All right, all right... I wish I were you," muttered Ha Na. "Can I come to the wedding? Please please please?

 

"You have to.”

 

”You don't seem very happy..." observed Ha Na.

 

"How can I be?”

 

"Because it’s Min Yoongi. If I were you, I’d be dancing with joy.”

 

"He’s a jerk.”

 

"Did you meet him again?”

 

"Yeah, yesterday. All he cared about was his image.”

 

"Yah, you don’t know him enough yet. He might not be bad once you get to know him," said Ha Na earnestly. "Hey,you should start watching BTS shows -"

 

 "He's a totally different person in front of the camera," cut in Seung Hee. "I don't want to get to know him, I hate everything about him. Ha Na… I just want my life to go back to how it was.”

 

* * * *

 

"Marriage!” exclaimed Hoseok. “You? No way!”

 

BTS was all gathered at the dorm; Yoongi had decided to tell them all at the same time, it would be easier that way.

 

"What’s going to happen to the group?” asked Seokjin. “Will you stay?”

 

"Of course!” said Yoongi indignantly. “Don’t say such stupid things.”

 

Taehyung and Jimin exchanged glances as Namjoon began to question Yoongi. “Who is this girl? An actress or a singer?”

 

Yoongi shook his head. “She’s nothing special; you won’t know her.”

 

Namjoon grimaced. "She’s a normal girl then. What does she do?”

 

Well,” said Yoongi slowly. “She’s a student…”

 

"Which university does she go to?”
 

“She’s a high school student.”
 

“WHAT?!” yelled Namjoon. “Do you know how bad this will look if the press finds out? We could be ruined!”

 

"I’ll take care of it,” said Yoongi, unruffled by his friend’s concerns.

 

 “Calm down," said Seokjin. "It’s not the end of the world.”

 

Namjoon get even more upset. “We can't afford any scandals!”

 

"It’s just a marriage,” said Seokjin.

 

"With an eighteen year old girl. Sure, that's not going to cause a huge fuss when the reporters swoop in. ”

 

Jungkook asked, “Is she eighteen?”

 

"Technically, she’s seventeen-and-a-half,”  answered Yoongi, and everyone groaned.

 

"We’re ruined for sure…" grumbled Namjoon. "Is this marriage even legal?”

 

Yoongi nodded. “Actually, the paperwork will be done once she turns eighteen, but we have to go through with it because of her grandfather. He's well, dying. And she had no other family."

 

There was a brief moment of silence, broken by Jimin. "I still don't see why that's got anything to do with you."

 

"It's something I have to do," said Yoongi. "And listen, it won't change anything. She will just live with my parents, and I won't see her much. There won't even be a trace for reporters to pick up, I'll make sure of that."

 

"Are you just going to ignore her?" asked Jungkook quietly. "That's not fair. She didn't ask for this either."

 

"OH NO!" yelled Taehyung, making everyone jump. "She could be a fan!"

 

"Aish, she hates me!" said Yoongi, and Taehyung yelled something about anti-fans and Jimin threw a cushion to make him shut up.

 

"Were you mean to her?" asked Seokjin. "Try to be nice, ok?"

 

"I was nice!" protested Yoongi.

 

The others snorted and Jimin commented, “I bet she hates him because he was mean. You don't hate someone for no reason, right?"

 

"Bring her here one day,” said Hoseok.

 

"Yeah,” agreed Namjoon. “I want to meet her.”

 

"She’s just a kid,” said Yoongi. “There’s no need to meet her.”

 

Just then, his phone rang and he answered it. “Yes, Eomma,” he said. “What? How can you suddenly tell me this? You’re lucky I don’t have a schedule tonight. Ok, see you at six, then.”

 

"Is it that girl?” asked Taehyung eagerly.

 

"No. I have to eat out with my parents tonight, so don’t make me dinner.”

 

"Dinner with the girl?”

 

"Yah, why are you so obsessed with her? Go marry her yourself if you like her that much.”

 

"You’re going to have dinner with that girl,” said Taehyung with a grin.