Chapter Thirty-six

Nae Idol

Everyone stared disbelievingly when Yoongi turned up for breakfast that morning holding Seung Hee's hand.

“What?” he asked.

Everyone quickly pretended to concentrate on their food – all except Jimin.

“I knew it,” he said. “I knew you would sneak her in. What if a reporter saw her, huh?”

Yoongi's grip tightened.

“Isn't it enough that you gave up a drama for her?” demanded Jimin, and looking at Seung Hee, he said, “He rejected it because he had to go to Japan for a year if he accepted. He's being burdened-”

Yoongi covered Seung Hee's ears with his hands, but he was too late – she had heard.

She bit her lip, and Yoongi glared at Jimin who moodily stabbed at a sausage with his fork.

“That was a little harsh,” muttered Hoseok.

No one said anything for a long time, and Seung Hee stood with Yoongi's hands over her ears – knowing that what Jimin had said was the truth. She was burdensome – because of her, he had to reject what could have been a big thing for him. And part of her was glad that he wasn't leaving, and the other part was drenched in guilt for being glad he wasn't going.

“He's right,” she whispered at last.

Jimin lifted his head; the other members didn't know where to look or what to do. Yoongi jerked her out of the room into the hallway and pushed her a bit.

“Don't say that!” he ordered. “Ever again.”

“But he was telling the truth,” repeated Seung Hee. "You know what? Just go to Japan-”

Yoongi slammed his fist on the wall just above her shoulder, making her flinch.

“Does he know everything about me? Huh? If I said I hated the script, then I hated the script! What does he know?”

She said nothing – desperately wanting to tell him how she really felt like a burden, but too afraid to. He was too angry right now.

But then his eyes flickered – became softer, and he said softly, “I scared you again, didn't I?"

“I'm not scared,” she lied.

“If anyone says something like that again," he said, gentler. "Don't you dare listen to it. And remember that I know what my priorities are.”

“Your priorities?”

“That's right.”

“I know, you don't have to tell me. It's your career, so-”

“What?”

“I know that your priority is your career, so that's why you should just go and do the drama-”

He suddenly drew her to him and held her tightly.

“Shut up,” he said, but not in a mean way. “You don't know what you're saying.”

He gripped her shoulders and bent down a little bit so that his eyes were level with hers – and all she saw in his face was sincerity, no more anger.

“You are my number one priority,” he said. “And don't you forget that.”

She smiled weakly, slightly relieved.

“I won't forget,” she said.

“Good.”

“Yoongi?”

“What?”

“Can you make me a promise?”

“What kind of promise?” he asked.

“Promise me that you won't ruin your career because of me.”

“You know, Seung Hee, there are some things which are more important than a career.”

“I know. But still, promise me.”

Yoongi studied her face before saying, “Fine. But you have to promise me something as well.”

“What is it?”

“That whatever you hear from others, you won't let it affect you. That you will forget everything Jimin said, and that you will never listen to things like that.”

“That's quite a lot to promise,” said Seung Hee with a small smile.

“I know.”

“I guess I have to make that promise?”

“Yup.”

“All right, then. I promise.”

Yoongi let go. “All right, then. We have a deal.”

“Yoongi?”

“Now what?”

“Tomorrow's Christmas.”

“So?”

“Can you spend the day with me?”

He sighed. “I'm sorry,” he said. “I have a special fanmeeting and a show.”

“Aw, why?

“That's just the way it is, kiddo,” he said, affectionately ruffling her hair.

“Stop it!” she cried, fixing her hair.

“I'll try to come, ok?” he said.

“Really?”

“I'll try.”

“Cool!” she said, suddenly excited. Yoongi hid a smile.

“Shall we go home now?” he asked. “I'm free for a few hours.”

She nodded.

“All right, then.”

He took her hand.

“But shouldn't we tell the others that we're leaving?” she asked.

“Nah, they'll know I'll be home.”

“How come?”

He rolled his eyes. “Hey, you dumb kid. They know I have to take you home, and obviously I would stay there for a bit.”

“Oh,” she muttered, blushing a bit.

The corners of Yoongi's mouth twitched.

“Are you laughing at me?” she demanded.

“Me?” He feigned innocence. “Never.”

“Yah, you were!”

“Was not!”

“Shut up and let's go!” she cried, tugging his hand.

“Fine, you brat!”

 

* * * *

 

Taehyung returned to the kitchen, bewildered. “They were fighting,” he reported. “And he's still really mean.”

Namjoon rolled his eyes. “Why are you so interested in them?” he asked.

“Because the whole thing is just weird.”

“Instead of spying, go do something useful,” ordered Namjoon. “Go learn your script for tomorrow's show. Jungkook is already practicing in his room”

Biting his lip, Hoseok said, “Hyung?”

“Yes?”

“I thought you should know this.”

“That I should know what?”

“Oh, yeah… I didn't tell you, did I?”

“No, you didn't,” said Namjoon patiently. Hoseok was lost when he didn't sleep enough.

“Oh, well, you remember the day Jungkook was acting all strange in the van?”

Namjoon frowned. “You mean when he spilled the coffee?”

Hoseok nodded. “He's like that a lot now. And the other day, I...”

“Go on,” said Seokjin. “What happened?”

Hoseok shot them a nervous look before saying, “I accidentally took his phone – I thought it was mine, and since I was waiting for a call, I checked the missed-calls.”

Taehyung was losing patience. “So what? It's no big deal. You mess up our phones all the time. And underwear and pants and shirts and-”

“Let him talk,” said Namjoon, sensing that there was more to the story.

“Well, I saw….” said Hoseok slowly. “I saw a missed call from Reporter Cha.”

Taehyung snickered. “That's it?”

“I checked, and there were a lot of phone calls between them. I couldn't help but notice that the first call was from Jungkook, and it was a few days before that first report about Yoongi hyung's marriage came out.”

“Are you sure?” asked Namjoon.

He nodded. “I just thought that you should know.”

Namjoon nodded. “You were right. There may be nothing, but it's good to know. You did well.”

Glowing from the praise, Hoseok wandered out.

“What do you think?” asked Seokjin.

“Don't read too much into it,” said Taehyung. "And he always says nonsense when he hasn't slept enough.”

“He's very observant,” cut in Namjoon. “Most his guesses are accurate.”

“But this? He was implying that Jungkook told Cha! Does that make sense?”

Namjoon shook his head. “Not really… but something is really bothering Jungkook...”

“He'll tell you soon,” said Seokjin. “He always tells you things.”

There was just a trace of bitterness in his voice as he said this.

“But this… I've felt that something was bothering him for a long time," mused Namjoon.

“Ah, that's just because he has a crush on Yoongi's girl,” said Taehyung. "He'll get over it.”

The other two raised their eyebrows.

“Hey, I got over heartbreak, too. My heart got totally stomped on once.”

They snorted. “Yeah right.”

“You really thought I was always like this? Once upon a time, I loved a girl sincerely.”

Suddenly, Taehyung's serious face lit up. “Hey, I think there's some ice-cream in the freezer!”

“Don't! We're supposed to be on a diet!” protested Namjoon, but Taehyung took the ice-cream out and ate a big spoonful before Namjoon wrenched the box away.

“I'm throwing this in the trash!” he threatened.

“Yah, tomorrow's Christmas! Where's your Christmas spirit, hyung?”

“You're being ridiculous!”

“Come on, give it back! Look, there's Jungkook!”

Namjoon rolled his eyes and gave the ice-cream back. “Fine, ruin your body, I don't care.”

Taehyung grinned and fell upon the box as though he were a starved person and Namjoon left, leaving Seokjin. He needed to find Jungkook, to talk to him – and to find out about the phone calls.

 

* * * *

Seung Hee was all excited when she woke up that morning, but her face fell when she saw the emptiness of Yoongi's side of the bed. He had come in the middle of the night, accidentally waking her, and she had been so glad that she wouldn't be spending the night alone.

But it looked like he had left early in the morning. And she would spend the day waiting for him to turn up. Again. She wasn't sure he would come anyway, because of the show. Why couldn't he be left alone for just one day?

Seung Hee got up and went to get her breakfast. There was a small tree in the living room, and she smiled, remembering the fit Yoongi had thrown when she had bought it - “I don't want pine needles all over my house!” he had yelled, but finally caved in.

Yoongi had even grudgingly helped her decorate it, and she had been reminded of the way she and her grandfather always decorated a big tree every year.

Now, she whispered, “Merry Christmas, Grandfather.”

Being alone made he eyes sting a bit with tears – why couldn't Yoongi be with her for at least one day?

Her phone rang, and she jumped on it, thinking it was Yoongi and answered without looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?” she said breathlessly.

“Seung Hee,” said a woman's voice – but it wasn't Mrs Min. “It's me, your mother.”

“Oh,” said Seung Hee, feeling strangely happy even though it wasn't Yoongi. “Merry Christmas!”

She heard a sharp intake of breath. “What happened?”

“Nothing,” her mother replied softly. “It's just…. I wasn't expecting such a greeting...”

“Sorry-”

“Why are you apologizing?”

“I startled you, and-”

“No, you misunderstood,” explained her mother. “It's just that I never thought you would talk to me with enthusiasm. I'm really happy, Seung Hee.”

“Really?” asked Seung Hee.

“Yes, I am. Is Min Yoongi there with you now?”

“He's… doing a show,” said Seung Hee, suddenly missing him all over again.

“You're all alone?”

“He'll come later,” said Seung Hee, sounding more confident than she felt.

Her mother seemed to see through her, because she said, “Come over to my place and we can celebrate together.”

“Huh?”

“Or I could come over. Or we could go out shopping. Or-”

“Can I come over?” asked Seung Hee eagerly. She would spend the day with her mother!

“Can we bake cookies?”

Her mother laughed again. “We can do anything you want, Seung Hee.”

“What time can I come?”

“Right now, if you want.”

“Ok!” cried Seung Hee. “I'll be right over.”
“Shall I come get you?”

“It's ok, I can take the metro – it's just five minutes.”
“Are you sure?”

“I'll see you soon!”

“See you!”

Seung Hee cut the connection and grinned so widely that surely her face was going to crack. Her mother was just so different – like another person altogether.

She hurriedly put her coat on over her purple hoodie and pulled her Converse highs on and rushed to the elevator. No one was in, and when she reached the ground floor and got off, a youngish-looking man holding a camera stopped her and said cheerfully, “Merry Christmas!”

Seung Hee stared at him. Did she know him? As if answering her unspoken question, the man smiled. “I'm Reporter Cha.”

A reporter? Why was a reporter speaking to her? Wait, it wasn't going to be about Yoongi, was it?

“Do you live here?” he asked.

She nodded – stupid! she immediately scolded herself. Don't answer anything…

The reporter's face lit up with delight. “Excellent! You know that Suga from BTS lives in this building, don't you?”

“Um-”

He took out his phone and held it out to her and asked, “Have you ever seen this girl?”

Seung Hee thought she would pass out when she saw the photo – it was of her! She was going into BTS's dorm! Ok, only the back was shot, but still.

“That's BTSs dorm,” the reporter informed her. “I don't know much, but I do know that there's a woman involved with Suga.”

Seung Hee went pale. That reporter was suspicious and it was all her fault and he was snooping around for a scoop… she panicked, but found herself saying in a perfectly natural tone, “What makes you think that he's dating?”

“It's more than just dating,” said Cha. “Have you seen a woman go on his floor?”

“Actually, I have...” Seung Hee had no idea why she said that – she was babbling because she was nervous and couldn't stop the nonsense spouting from . “There's this woman who comes very often – I've seen them together and-”

Reporter Cha's eyes were sparkling. “Is she very young?”

“Of course not!”

“An older woman, then.” He leaned forward eagerly. “Do you happen to know her name? Or who she is?”

“She's his mother,” blurted out Seung Hee, and the look Cha sent her – one of deep disgust – made her realize that she had just acted like a total idiot. What had she been going on about anyway?

She gave him a nervous smile which he did not return, and hurried outside where the cold air bit her cheeks. Normally, Seung Hee loved to walk outside during the winter – especially during the morning, as there was this fresh crispness in the air. But right now, she hurried to the metro without noticing it – she was too unnerved by the whole thing.

 

* * * *

 

When Jungkook saw the caller ID, he almost didn't answer his phone. But he had to – that person had warned him very precisely about ignoring his phone calls – and Jungkook locked himself in an empty practice room before answering. “Hello?”

“Hello, Jeon Jungkook,” said the voice Jungkook dreaded. “How have you been? How has the agency been? Do you haveanything to tell me?"

“No,” said Jungkook, then more politely, “Not today.”

“Oh, really? Then why don't you take a look at the picture I just sent?”

Jungkook pressed on his new message – and his blood froze with fear. How had a picture like this surfaced?

There was Yoongi, his face covered up by his hat and scarf, but definitely him. And he was holding Seung Hee's hand. That picture had been taken the night Jungkook had to get Seung Hee after Yoongi had to run away from the crowd. Thank god her face was not clear in this photo...

There was another photo - the back of a girl opening the door to their dorm. Even though the face was not visible, and it was just a back view, Jungkook recognized that figure – it was Seung Hee.

“Any idea of what these are, Jungkook?” asked Cha.

He said nothing.

“I won't reveal it – yet. I need more proof. I was just wondering whether you would like to help me again.”

“Reporter Cha,” said Jungkook. “I don't know who that girl is.”

Cha laughed. “Don't lie – you told me yourself that Min Yoongi is secretly married.”

“I already told you,” said Jungkook. “I misunderstood…. Min Yoongi is not-”

“Thanks to you, Jungkook, I'll make the biggest scoop of my career. I know that there is something going on with Min Yoongi.”

“You'll be stopped,” warned Jungkook. “As soon as my agency hears about this-”

“Your agency won't like it if I tell them who started the marriage rumors in the first place, will they?”

Jungkook fell silent.
“Shall I tell the public that you were the one who started it all?” asked Cha. “Just becuse you were jealous of Min Yoongi's fame and success? I can do that, you know.”

“You know that's not true...” said Jungkook, and all of a sudden he couldn't breathe.

Cha laughed again. “I know that – but the public doesn't. And neither does Min Yoongi.”

Yoongi hyung… what would he say? Already, Jungkook couldn't look him properly in the face. If he believed Reporter Cha, Jungkook was finished. Guilt ate away his insides – he knew perfectly well that those stupid rumors had started because of him. Why had he done such a stupid thing? He knew why, though – to try and force Yoongi to let her move out, all those months ago. And now it looked like Reporter Cha was determined to get to the bottom of the whole thing. It would all be Jungkook's fault if Seung Hee got hurt – and if Yoongi hyung got hurt, too. No, he couldn't let those two people get hurt...

“Keep your silence,” threatened Cha. “Keep your silence if you know what's best for you.”