Chapter Seventeen

Nae Idol

 

 

Seung Hee woke up smiling. She had dreamed that Yoongi had covered her up in a blanket, and kissed her forehead. That couldn't be why she was smiling, could it?

 

Suddenly noticing the blanket on her, she told herself that she had probably gotten it and simply didn't remember – but she never ever tucked in the blanket. And this blanket was tucked in – did that mean that Yoongi had come? Wait, had he done this?

 

A sound came from the kitchen as an answer. Memories of her back-hug flashed through her mind and she cringed with mortification. Oh no! How could she ever face that Min Yoongi again? And the way she had reacted when she found out that it was him sending the texts was terrible - she felt so ashamed...

 

She would have to stay on the couch, pretend that she was sleeping until he went away. She really meant to act as though she didn't exist – until she saw the clock, whose needle pointed at twelve. She had a heart-attack and fell off the couch and got all tangled up in the blanket.

 

Oh, you're awake,” said Yoongi, appearing, and she struggled to get up. “Hey, what's the rush?”

 

She finally managed to stand up and cried, “School! Couldn't you have woken me up?”

 

"I was sleeping, too,” he said indifferently. “Anyway, there's no school today.”
 

Huh? Really?”

 

"Yeah, there's some kind of protest going on.”

 

"Are you sure?”

 

He nodded.

 

"Oh,” she said.

 

They looked at each other, then quickly averted their eyes.

 

Yoongi ran his hand through his hair and opened his mouth to say something the same time as Seung Hee said, “I wanted to tell you-”
 

She realized that he had wanted to speak and stopped. “Sorry, you were going to say something?”
 

He shook his head. “Go ahead.”

 

Seung Hee took a deep breath and bowed.

 

"Yah-”
 

I'm sorry,” she said. “You were right, I always assumed things about you. I shouldn't have reacted that way and I'm really sorry.”
 

Yoongi ran his hand through his hair again, and looked down at the floor. “Yah, it's ok, I guess. Well, yeah, I can see why you would be shocked and all-”

 

"I also want to thank you.”
 

Surprise flickered in his eyes. “M-me?”
 

She nodded. “Those texts you sent… they really made my day. They really gave me strength.”

 

Yoongi seemed at a loss of what to say. He cleared his throat and finally said, "Yah, kid?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"Go take a shower.”

 

Seung Hee looked down and saw that she was still wearing yesterday's uniform. “Ok,” she said, and shuffled to the bathroom.

 

"I'll eat everything if you're not out in five minutes!” he yelled – ok, that was more like himself.

 

Seung Hee washed away yesterday's dirt and anxieties. Today, she would work hard and compensate for not working yesterday. And it seemed as though Yoongi had forgiven her...

 

He was sitting at the table when she came out, and it was already set with plates, cups, toast, butter and jam.

 

"Sit,” he ordered.

 

Seung Hee sat.

 

"You took seven minutes.”

 

"I was only two minutes late!”

 

"I don't care, you are still late. No food for you.”

 

Seung Hee's mouth fell open.

 

The corners of his mouth twitched. “Just kidding,” he said. “Eat."

 

Yoongi had a particular sense of humor, she noted. Kind of sarcastic, kind

of dark - but not nasty, as she had thought it was in the beginning. In fact, it wasn't so bad once you got used to it.

 

She looked at the pile of toast on a plate.“Did you prepare all this?”

 

"Who else?”

 

Yoongi's sarcasm didn't annoy her as it had in the beginning, and right now she had a feeling that he was embarrassed by the whole thing. It was so strange to think of him doing something normal, like making breakfast.

 

"Thank you,” she said, suddenly shy.

 

He coughed awkwardly and poured himself a cup of coffee. He was about to pour in her cup but she covered it and cried, “No!”

 

"It's coffee,” he stated matter-of-factly – like she hadn't known that!

 

"I don't like coffee.”

 

He sighed. “Then what do you drink in the morning?”

 

"Hot chocolate.”

 

He rolled his eyes. “How childish! I should've known. Don't even think that I'll make it for you.”

 

"I'll make it later,” she said hurriedly.

 

The rest of the meal was spent in uncomfortable silence. He obviously didn't know what to talk about and neither did she. She wanted to say something just to break the unnatural silence, but was afraid of saying the wrong thing and putting him in a bad mood. So she held her tongue and glanced at him every now and then – he put three times more jam on his bread than she did.

 

It was only when she was on her last bite that he spoke: “I wanted to talk to you.”

 

Seung Hee's stomach fluttered nervously. Maybe he was still mad at her after all…

 

"It's like this,” he said, a faint pink tinge creeping to his cheeks – he was getting embarrassed! “You and I – we started off all wrong. So… let's start over.”

 

"Start over?” repeated Seung Hee.

 

"Like it or not, I'm all you have. And you're kind of all I have, too.”

 

She thought that she was hearing things. Min Yoongi actually said that she was all he had? No way… and she liked hearing that. Come to think of it, he really was all she had, too.

 

"The least we can do is be friendly,” he said. “Erase all the ideas that you have about me, and I'll do the same about you. Let's start fresh, ok?”

 

"Ok...”

 

His phone rang.

 

Yoongi looked at Seung Hee first before answering it – it was almost as though he was excusing himself.

 

"No, I can't come,” he said. “I'm trapped over here. You crazy? There's a strike going on, how can I come to the practice room?” He sighed. "Namjoon, I promise that I'll practice. And I'll work out, too. Ok? All right, bye.”

 

He hung up, and the stiflingly awkward silence came back. Just for the sake of breaking it, Seung Hee blurted out the first question that came to her mind: "Do you like chocolate?"

 

She regretted her words the instant they left her lips. Idiot! It was such a childish thing to say! The corners of Yoongi's mouth twitched – he was laughing at her!

 

"What?” she said defensively.

 

"This is the first time you've ever asked me anything about myself.”

 

And she realized that was true. They knew each other for quite a while now, but she had never asked him anything about himself. In fact, she didn't know him that well at all…

 

"Well, do you?” she said.

 

"Yes,” he replied. “I love chocolate. I'll eat anything with chocolate.”

 

Now that was a surprise. Seung Hee glanced at him before saying shyly, “Me too.”

 

Yoongi slid his gaze to her, and for some reason she couldn't meet his eyes. This was their first discovery of something that they had in common. To Seung Hee, it was a big deal— she and Yoongi actually had something in common. Ok, millions of people loved chocolate, but still.

 

"What else do you like?" she asked.

 

"Huh?"

 

"What's your favorite color? Favorite season, TV show, song?"

 

Yoongi's eyes narrowed. "Why are you asking me this?"
 

"Because I don't know you. At all."
 

"So?"

 

"You said let's start over. That's what I'm doing." She held out her hand. "Hi, I'm Lee Seung Hee."
 

Yoongi looked at her hand, and she could see something she had never seen in his eyes before - confusion, and maybe a bit of fear, too.

Namjoon had told her he was afraid of getting attached to people because he had already lost so many. Was he afraid he was going to lose her? For some reason, she knew that all she wanted was to be by his side. He had no reason to be afraid.

 

Yoongi suddenly grasped her hand, as though before he could change his mind. He held it like it was some kind of anchor to something - tightly and firmly.

 

"I'm Min Yoong," he said softly.

 

Seung Hee smiled. It was the first time she had smiled at him.

 

"It's nice to meet you, Min Yoongi," she said. "I hope we can get along well."