Chapter Forty

Nae Idol

Ha Na threw the phone onto her bed in frustration. Why wasn't Namjoon picking up? She had been trying to reach him for an hour! And Seung Hee wasn't picking up, either.

They're busy, she told herself. They're all busy because of what appeared in the news this morning.

Ha Na had been shocked out of her life when her father had held out his tab this morning and asked, “Isn't this Seung Hee?”

Ha Na had spit her juice when she saw a photo of her friend holding hands with Yoongi – who was of course wearing a hat and scarf.

“So it is,” her father had muttered. “Poor thing – to be married to an idol.” He had shot a teasing look at Ha Na, who for once did not rise to the bait. Instead, she ran up and read every single article that came out and desperately tried calling her friend, and then Namjoon.

Neither answered – which was to be expected. The company was probably in an uproar, the members going crazy. But was Seung Hee all right? She hoped she didn't go outside – fans were really dangerous at times like this. Wait, she would be ok – Yoongi would be with her and he would handle whatever was going on. Still, Seung Hee must be scared and confused…. and Ha Na took her phone again – no matter what, she had to reach Seung Hee and make sure she was ok.

 

* * * *

 

Everyone was careful after the fight not to provoke either Jungkook or Yoongi– except for Seokjin. He yelled at them for about half an hour after they had been bandaged up, and Yoongi emerged glowering like a grumpy owl.

They looked terrible. However, Jungkook had come off worse in their fight, with more bruises, a black eye, and a split lip. To think Yoongi had done it to him...

That didn't stop Seung Hee from following him around, her hand gripping his sleeve. He didn't let her say a word to Jungkook, who anyway had locked himself up in his room. A few hours later, though, he emerged and asked her if they could talk. Yoongi told her to go ahead and talk with the 'traitor' and then 'break his nose.'
Seung Hee rolled her eyes but after making sure that Yoongi would wait for her, she followed Jungkook outside to the balcony. It faced the back of the compound, so there were no reporters or fans. This had been done on purpose – though the view was nothing special, it was somewhere the members could go for privacy in the outside air – and it was another one of Seokjin's nap places.

She didn't like the way Jungkook was looking at her – it was as though he was getting ready to confess some great sin, but the worst were his eyes – his normally soft, warm eyes, reflected a great pain inside of him.

“Jungkook,” she said, getting a bad feeling about the whole thing – a part of her was screaming at her to run away, screaming that she didn't want to hear it...

He took a deep breath and said, “I'm sorry, Seung Hee.”

The bad feeling intensified. She tried to make her tone light as she said, “C'mon, what did you do?”

“This is all my fault," he said, his head bowed down. "I told Reporter Cha about you, all those months ago. I hoped that by getting revealed, Yoongi hyung would let you go.”

Something inside Seung Hee shattered. Jungkook had done a lot of bad things regarding Yoongi, and she had forgiven him since it was because of her he was saying all that. But this… this was unforgivable…

He looked her in the eye. “I'm so sorry,” he said softly. “I never meant it to turn out this way – I never meant to hurt Yoongi hyung or you. I never meant to hurt anybody.”

“It doesn't matter what you meant or did not mean to do,” she said. “You just went ahead and did it without thinking ahead… and… and-” her voice choked. Jungkook – her friend Jungkook, the one who had helped her when she was feeling the worst, the one who had made her realize her feelings for Yoongi, the one who had made her understand why Yoongi couldn't be seen with her… he had been the 'inside source' all along. He had been next to her all this time and she never doubted him for a second.

Jungkook was the one.

Jungkook had told the reporters.

Because of him, Yoongi was in big trouble – not just Yoongi, the whole team.

Yoongi had done nothing to deserve this. If he couldn't stand on stage again, she didn't know what would happen to him. Music was his life – without it she knew he would be lost.

“Y-Yoongi,” she stuttered. “H-how could you do this to him?”

Jungkook flinched, as though her words were blows. “I don't know what I was thinking...”
“You betrayed him,” she said, her voice stronger. “You betrayed all your brothers… Yoongi never doubted you for a second, you know… he always tried to take care of you and this is what he gets? You stabbed him in the back!”

She was crying now – she couldn't help it. This all hurt so, so much – but she knew it was nothing compared to the hurt Yoongi suffered now.

“Seung Hee,” said Jungkook, taking a step toward her.

She backed away and cried, “No! Don't come near me! Don't come near Yoongi – don't hurt him again!”

She heard a voice behind her say sharply, “What did you say to her?”
“The truth,” replied Jungkook, terrified. “Hyung, I swear-”
“Just go,” said Yoongi, and he sounded more sad than angry. “Please just go – you've caused enough damage for one day.”

Seung Hee blindly reached out for him, and he held her close.

“Yoongi,” she sobbed. “Jungkook – he – he-”
“I know,” said Yoongi softly.

“But… why?” she demanded. “Because of… me?”
“No,” said Yoongi. “Don't blame yourself for this one bit – his actions are his and his alone.”
“But still-”
“You don't know for sure what was going on inside his head – it could be something neither of us could dream of.”
His words calmed her down a little, and he bent down so they were of the same height.

“You know what's fun?” he said. “Lying on this balcony, and watching the clouds pass by.”
“Too cold,” she said in a tiny voice.

“It really helps clear your head.”
Before she could say anything, Yoongi went and got a blanket. He lied down right there and spread the blanket over him. He held one corner open and said, “Come on.”
Not too keen on lying on the hard floor, Seung Hee gingerly sat down.

“Oh, come on,” said Yoongi impatiently, pulling her down and putting the blanket around her snugly.

The floor was too hard… plus it was cold. Why on earth did Yoongi want to be here of all places?
He seemed to sense her discomfort because he slipped his arm underneath her head.

“You have your very own personal pillow,” he said, and that made her laugh. “What's so funny?” he demanded.

“Nothing,” she said, snuggling closer to him.

“Than why did you laugh?”
“Because it's better than crying.”

He gave her a half-smile and they fell silent. She looked up, and watched the clouds drift slowly and lazily across the sky.
“I wish it could just stay this way,” murmured Yoongi. “Just you and me, lying here forever. Wouldn't that be great?”
Even though Jungkook's betrayal had left a huge crater inside both of them, lying here was peaceful. They both knew things wouldn't remain peaceful for long…

“Me too,” she answered. “I wish things would stay like this too.”


* * * *

 

Jimin didn't stay mad long – by the time they sat down to lunch, he was himself again, and even smiled at Seung Hee. Seokjin was back to normal, too. He sat down heavily on Seung Hee's left – Yoongi was on the right – and ruffled her hair. “Hey, kiddo. Nice to eat with you.”

“Don't touch her,” ordered Yoongi. “And don't call her 'kiddo' – she's an adult.”

“But you call her 'kiddo'!” protested Seokjin.

“I can call her whatever I want to. You, on the other hand, cannot.”

“Aw, c'mon!”

“How sweet,” sighed Hoseok. “You and Seung Hee are really in love, I can feel it...”

Everyone shot him disgusted looks.

“Yuck...”

“Just when I'm about to eat, too.”

“So cheesy – urgh!”

“Someone separate the lovebirds and lock Hoseok in the cupboard.”

Seung Hee and Yoongi exchanged glances, and she gave his hand a brief squeeze under the table. He half-smiled and put a pile of spaghetti on her plate.

“Eat a lot, ok?”

She nodded, and when he sprinkled some cheese on her spaghetti and gave her a fork, someone yelled, “Separate the lovebirds! Before they get gross!”

 

* * * *

 

She played video games all day with Taehyung and Jimin. She wasn't going to lie – she was terrible. Jungkook was nowhere to be found, and she was glad – she did not think she could bear to face him right now.

Namjoon, Seokjin and Yoongi had tense conversations away from the younger members in order not to worry them more than necessary. The situation did not look good – the staff were all going nuts blocking even more articles from being released – some negative ones about his past scandals involving random girls - and the company board went bonkers trying to come up with a solution. In just a few hours, 'ihateseunghee.com' had been set up with millions of members. If anyone peeked out the window, they were greeted with the sight of thousands of fans in a silent protest, holding up placards that read, Min Yoongi is a LIAR, We R Against This Marriage, and the most popular one was, Suga is BTS and BTS Belongs to A.R.M.Y!

The three eldest members decided that the best thing would be to show Seung Hee all the articles so that she knew exactly what she was involved in.

As expected, she freaked out. “How do they know all this?” she cried. “They know everything – my school, pictures, and even about my parents!”

“Calm down,” said Yoongi. “First things first: is your phone still turned off?"

She nodded.

“Good. Keep it off until I tell you otherwise. And don't answer any calls from an unknown number.”

“Why not? It could be-”
“It could be a reporter or something. Just don't answer, ok? And best not to use the internet for a while – just lay low.”

She nodded again. “Ok… Yoongi?”

“Yeah?”

“What's going to happen now?”

“I don't know. The company will decide.”

“Yoongi?”

“Yeah?”

“You won't leave me, will you?” she asked. “Even if they tell you to?”

Yoongi's eyes were like warm dark chocolate as he took her in his arms.

“No, you dumb kid,” he said. “I'm staying right here, ok? I promise...”

 

* * * * *

 

That evening, Manager Woo came and placed a piece of paper on the table. It was a letter from CEO Kim requesting Seung Hee to go public with her relationship with Yoongi, which meant doing interviews and photo shoots.

Yoongi snatched the paper away from her hands and yelled, “No! I will never let you do this to yourself!”

“But I can help you-”

“You don't know what you're thinking,” he interrupted. “It's like jumping into a swimming pool full of sharks.”

Before Manager Woo left, though, and Yoongi was on the phone with CEO Kim, she signed the contract – she had signed it behind Yoongi's back.

` Lying in bed that night, she wondered whether she had made the right choice. Woo had sworn that she would be helping Yoongi by doing this, and even though he would be furious when he found out, it would be worth it if she could help…

She was in Namjoon and Yoongi's room. Namjoon went to crash with Taehyung and Jimin - “Oh, no! He snores! Take cover, hyung snores!” - and, because Seung Hee had insisted, she and Yoongi slept separately on each of the beds at either ends of the room. Except now, she missed him desperately even though he was right there. She was too worried now to sleep and all she wanted was to be with Yoongi – she would feel safer with him…

 

* * * *

 

Yoongi sighed – why had he agreed to let her sleep so far away? Ok, they were in the same room, but still. Could he go to her bed? No, she would freak out and think he was trying to do some ert thing. And he knew that her mind was probably bursting with thoughts about today – and the big question mark that was the future – and she needed space. But couldn't he go check on her at least? Or go say goodnight again?

Just as he was debating over whether he should go or not, a small form lifted up the blanket and crawled in next to him. He could recognize that warm softness anywhere, and the small frame. Was he dreaming?

“Kiddo?” he whispered, just to make sure. She her side to nestle against his chest, and he smiled – yup, that was her.

“Yoongi?” she whispered, her fingers curled in the fabric of his T-shirt.

“Yeah?”

“Goodnight.”

“What the heck?” he said, tapping her forehead with his index finger. “Yah, why did you crawl in here?”

“'Cause I missed you.”

His heart skipped a beat. He smiled again, and put his arm around her. “Sweet dreams, you dumb kid,” he said affectionately.

“Sweet dreams, you grandpa,” she replied.

“Yah!”

“Does that name annoy you?”

“I am not a grandpa! I'm only twenty-four!”

“Yay, I found it!”

He frowned. “Found what?'

“A name that annoys you.”

“You know, you're quite mean.”

“Not as mean as you.”

“I'm not mean! I'm really nice!”

“Whatever, you grandpa!”

“I'll get you tomorrow,” he muttered, putting his arm around her again as she settled against his chest. He pressed a kiss against her forehead, and whispered, “I love you, you dumb kid.”

“I love you, too, you grandpa.”
 

* * * *

 

Yoongi woke up with the weight of Seung Hee on top of him – as expected – but there was something else, too… something unnerving: five pairs of eyes blinked at him.

“What the hell?” he muttered sleepily.

Taehyung grinned. “I came to wake you up, and when I saw this, I thought, 'wow, this is too good to miss!' So I got the others!”

Yoongi looked the others, a little disturbed to see their mushy expressions.

“How cute...”

“I can't believe how nice he is now.'

“He just grew up, you know.”

“No, that's the power of love-”

“Don't start, Hoseok.”

Their argument stopped in order to pay attention to Yoongi trying to prod Seung Hee awake.

“Get up.”

She opened her eyes briefly to blink sleepily, and then snuggled against him.

“AWWW...” came five voices.

Yoongi glared at them. “Can you just go?” he said grouchily. “Show's over – just wait until one of you fools get married...”

The members shrugged and wandered out, and he sighed and tried to wake her, but she wasn't budging. And his phone was ringing.

He reached for it careful not to move her, and – oh, joy – it was Manager Woo calling him to tell him about a sudden appearance he would be making.

He got up, placed her back carefully, got dressed and he went to find the other members. They were getting breakfast ready, and sniggered when they saw him.

“Not one word,” warned Yoongi. “Don't say a word about anything.”

“All right,” said Taehyung, a glint in his eyes. "A lot of cuddling goes on, huh?"

Yoongi rolled his eyes and decided to ignore that, and told them that he would be appearing for an interview.

“Alone?” asked Namjoon.

He nodded.

“Why?” asked Hoseok.

“It's going to be about Seung Hee,” said Seokjin.

He nodded.

“What about me?” asked a half-awake voice from behind him.

He turned to find Seung Hee standing there, still half-asleep.

“I'm going for an interview-”

“Will you be ok?” she asked, suddenly wide-awake.

He nodded. “It's a good thing, this interview.”

“Really?"

“Yeah, and I'll be back soon, ok?”

“When are you going?”

“Right now. You'll be ok here, right?”

She nodded slowly, and he pressed a swift kiss to the top of her head before saying goodbye and leaving.

Seung Hee had looked at him strangely – almost nervously. Maybe that was because she was worried. Yoongi dismissed that, knowing that he had to be alert. On the show, the only topic would be about her, and he had to find a way to protect her as well as get the public to accept her.