Chapter Thirty-three

Nae Idol

They hadn't been in the car for five minutes and they were already arguing. This time, it was over the radio. Yoongi wanted silence, Seung Hee wanted music (“Come on! BEAST just released a new song!”). Every time she would reach forward to turn it on, he would slap her hand away.

Seung Hee kept still for a few minutes, and after Yoongi put his guard down and checked his phone, she quickly turned it on. Loud, heavy metal music blared from the speakers and he winced before turning it off and glaring.

What did I tell you about no music?”

She pouted. “I didn't mean to go to that station. Can I turn it on, please?”

He shook his head. “Aish, you're awfully childish.”

He reached over and pulled her purple hood over her head.

Do you wear this thing all the time?” he asked.

Why can't I?” asked Seung Hee. “It's really comfortable and… um, nothing.”

And?” he insisted, tickling her but stopping quickly because he was driving. “If you don't tell me, I'm going to make you.”

Ah, all right!” Seung Hee took a deep breath – this was so embarrassing! “Because you gave it to me.”

The corners of Yoongi's mouth twitched – come on, smile! - and he cleared his throat gruffly, not sure of how to react.

She suddenly grinned. “Are you embarrassed?”

I'm not embarrassed.”

Then are you touched?”

Just for such a small thing? I, um-”

Just admit it!”

He didn't answer and she let the matter drop – teasing Yoongi was no fun if he didn't react.

After a while, he said, “I forgot to tell you something.”
“What is it?”
“It's about the marriage.”
Just for half a second, Seung Hee's stomach dropped – but she knew by now that she was being silly, that Yoongi didn't want to cancel it.

When are we going to get it registered?” she asked.

That's just it,” he sighed. “I've been so busy I forgot-”
“We can go now,” she said.

It's already been done,” he said. “If you would let me finish you'd understand so shut up.”
She made a face while he said, “Like I said before some dumb kid interrupted me, I've been really busy these days so Eomma took it to the registry office for us.”
Seung Hee's mouth fell open. “How could you not tell me?” she
cried. “And why couldn't we just wait a while?”
“Aish,” he grumbled. “She kept nagging me about it so I finally gave it to her
and she got it registered.”
“But I thought we would do it together,” she said. “You know, you and me…
together...
“Sorry,” he said softly. “I just didn't have any time until now… I didn't know you would mind-”
“How could you know if you never asked me?” she said. “We could have done it tonight.”

Registering their marriage together… it would have felt special. More special than having someone else do it for them. Apparently Yoongi didn't feel the same – he didn't seem to mind. And he hadn't thought she would mind either.

Yoongi glanced at her and wordlessly the radio. BEAST's new song came on, but Seung Hee didn't feel like listening to it anymore. She knew that it was his way of saying he was sorry, and he really was busy now – he had been so busy he was too tired to remove even his makeup before going to sleep. But that didn't make it ok yet.

Seung Hee decided to try and bring back things to normal as Yoongi pulled into a huge building with a bunch of people milling around and he had to hunt around for a place to park.

What is this?” she asked, starting to get excited.

An aquarium.” He glanced at her again and put on his hat, scarf and shades.

An aquarium?” she squealed, really excited now. “Will we see jellyfish? And clown fish? How about dolphins? Oh! Will there be a whale?”
“Do you know how big whales are?” asked Yoongi. “I doubt one can fit in there – this one is a fairly small aquarium.”

I want to see a whale one day.”

I'll show you one.”

She looked at him suspiciously. “You're going to show me a video or picture of one, is that it?”

No,” said Yoongi. “One day, we'll go out in the ocean, and we'll find a whale.”

I was just kidding, you know,” she said hurriedly – did he have to react like this to everything? “Don't be so serious...”

He frowned, and she hurried to pacify him – she couldn't hang out with a grumpy Yoongi!

Ah, fine!” she said. “Let's go find whales one day.”

He threw her a dirty look and made her stand in line to buy their tickets – he said that he couldn't because someone might recognize him.

Seung Hee had to stand in line for half an hour before she could buy the tickets and return to Yoongi who was standing in a corner with his hands in his pockets. She couldn't really see him because his face was covered up, but she had the feeling that he was laughing at her.

Scowling, she said, “Let's go.”

Are you grumpy? Hey, cheer up, kiddo.” He took her hand – which surprised her but felt like the most natural thing to do at the same time. “After we see all the fish, I have a surprise for you.”

What is it?”

If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise anymore, would it? But fine, I'll tell you. There's this little shop which sells chocolate-”

We can get chocolate from any old store,” pointed out Seung Hee.

Yoongi suddenly seemed very pleased with himself. “It's not just any chocolate. They make it themselves, and there are like a hundred types. And they make shapes, too. I've seen a chocolate house and even a chocolate spider. You can even order something.

Seung Hee began to jump up and down, suddenly struck with an idea. “Can I order something? Can I have a chocolate person?”

Sure,” said Yoongi, amused. “Who do you want the chocolate to look like, anyway?”
“An idol.”

Idol as in role model or as in-”

Idol as in singer,” she said. “He's my favourite idol.”

Yah, how can you say that to me?” demanded Yoongi. “Who is he?”

Nae idol,” said Seung Hee. “My idol.”

Tell me who he is, quick! Or else I won't take you there!”

Teasing Yoongi like this was irresistible, and she had to take it further.

I really, really, really love him,” she said. “More than any other person in the world.”

She suppressed a giggle when Yoongi mumbled grumpily, “I've never even heard you talk about a particular idol.”

The topic was dropped as soon as they entered the aquarium. Seung Hee pushed her way to the front, and stood, mesmerized.

All the walls were made of glass, behind which swam thousands of fish – it was like a moving rainbow. A rainbow with a thousand colours that glowed and danced.

She couldn't even recognize more than just a few fish – there were pufferfish, clownfish, starfish – and she walked along the side, getting a better view. It really did look like the ocean.

Isn't it beautiful?” she breathed. There was no answer. “Yoongi?”

Seung Hee turned around and came face to face with a stranger. She broke away from the crowd, and looked around desperately – where was he? Wait, what if he had been called away and had forgotten about her? What if he just didn't care and left? She knew she was being silly, but this made her think of her childhood...

Seung Hee's train of thought was interrupted when someone jostled her – hard. A pair of strong arms caught her before she fell, and spun her around so her face was pressed against a warm, familiar chest.

Careful,” said Yoongi, then more harshly, “How typical of you to go wandering around!”

You're still here,” she mumbled, burying her face even more in his chest. “You're still here..”

Are you hurt somewhere?” he asked, his voice flooding with concern. “Are you sick?”

She shook her head, and when she spoke, her voice was muffled. “I thought… I thought that you left… my parents always… took me to places…. and left without me...”

Yoongi pushed her away gently. “Don't think about that,” he said. “This is the proof that you really are a dumb kid – don't you know that I won't leave without you?”

Really?”

Really – so don't think that again, ok?”

She nodded, and he took her hand again and pulled her to the next room, which contained an exhibit with just a few fish – which was why the room was nearly deserted. There was just an elderly couple, and a young woman with a small child.

Can you take your shades off?” asked Seung Hee.

What?”

I want to see your eyes.”

It's not safe. What if someone recognizes me?”

There's no one here!” she cried, and snatched the shades off. His eyes filled with shock and maybe even panic, and he made a lunge for it. “Give it back!”

She held the shades behind her back and stuck out her tongue. Yoongi grabbed her arms, and poked her in the ribs and got his shades back.

After putting them on, he suddenly reached to the back of her head and tugged the elastic band off. Seung Hee's hair came cascading down and he smirked. “Pay back time.”

She scowled. “Give it back!”

Nope.” He held it over her head and no matter how high she jumped, it was still out of reach.

What a shorty,” said Yoongi. “I'll tell you how you can get it back – say that you like me.”

Just give it back!” she cried, jumping up again to grab it. He held it up even higher.
“Why can't you say it?” he demanded. “I've already told you that I love you. You can't even say that you like me?”

Do I have to?”

Yeah!”

Isn't it obvious?”

No!

You're so… I don't even know what to say...”

They glared at each other – at least Seung Hee assumed that he was glaring behind his shades.

Why did he want to hear it? Did he want reassurance or certainty? Well, she had liked it – a lot - when Yoongi had told her. She could return the favor, couldn't she? And she would be saying the truth anyway, and he would give her back her hair tie.

She opened to speak the same time Yoongi huffed and said, “Forget it – take your thing back.”

Hey, Yoongi?”

What?”

Love you.”

What?” he asked, blinking.

Love you,” she said again. Then she stood on tiptoe and pulled the collar of his shirt so he bent a bit. Seung Hee gave him a quick kiss and when she pulled away, Yoongi blinked at her again in surprise.

Um...” he muttered, running his hand through his red hair. “You… I… um-”
She smiled. “Bet you weren't expecting that. Min Yoongi, I caught you by surprise, didn't I?”
He finally found his voice. “No you didn't. Plus, that was really nothing. I mean, if you're going to do something you should do it properly.”

She stood on tiptoe and kissed him again – longer this time, and she just wanted to put her arms around him.

She felt his lips stretch, and she realized that he was smiling. For the first time ever, Yoongi was smiling. She had to see this, but when she drew back to look at him, his lips were only slightly turned upwards.

Can you do it again?” she said.

Do what?”
“Smile.”

The corners of his mouth twitched before splitting into a dazzling smile that made Seung Hee forget to breath – his smile was just so beautiful. She reached up to take off his shades.

Again,” she said.

His eyes were so warm, and they were like little crescent moons when he gave her another smile – a shy one, this time. Yes, Min Yoongi was smiling at her – only at her, no one else.

This first date would have been perfect - “It's like from a drama!” squealed Seung Hee – if it weren't for the little kid.

As Seung Hee and Yoongi, holding hands, walked along the glass of the exhibit and next to the young woman holding the little kid, the little kid suddenly knocked Yoongi's hat off.

As Yoongi bent down to retrieve it, his scarf fell a bit from his face and the young woman screamed, “SUGA! You're Suga, aren't you?”

Five people popped in from nowhere, all crowding around Yoongi as he tried to make his way out, Seung Hee gripping onto his hand tightly. The crowd kept getting bigger, clamoring for autographs and trying to touch him, and when they began to take pictures, he let go of Seung Hee's hand.

At first, she thought that it was because he had lost his grip or something, but when she tried to take his hand again, he didn't let her – in fact, he didn't even look at her. Then it hit her – he had just pushed her away. The realization was like a punch in the stomach, and she was swallowed by the crowd. As if in a trance, she followed Yoongi and the crowd out of the building, watched him get into his car without looking for her, and drive away – without her. He had left her behind - just like how her parents had done.

Memories – that she wanted so badly to erase – resurfaced. She remembered crying as her parents fought over who would take her to kindergarten - “She's your daughter! Take her!” each would say. She remembered wearing headphones and listening to loud music to block the sounds of her parents fighting in the next room. They fought because of her, it was always her fault.

Seung Hee slid to the ground, desperately wiping away the tears on her face – but they kept coming. Her parents had often taken her somewhere like the zoo or the movies, and left without her.

Yoongi, who had just promised not to leave her behind no matter what, had broken that promise. And it hurt – even more than her parents leaving her behind at the cinema.

It hurt more because it was Yoongi.