Chapter Three

Nae Idol

 
Seung Hee waited on the steps of the restaurant. Grandfather had told her to be there by six and wait outside. Now, it was six thirty and there was still no sign of him. She finally decided to call him.

 

"Grandfather? I'm at the restaurant. Where are you?"

 

"Min Yoongi is coming," he said. "Don't let me hear that you didn't meet him." Grandfather cut the connection before she could even protest. How could she have a meal with a stranger?

 

Her stomach twisted. How could she be expected to live with a stranger? Nothing had been said about what would happen after the ceremony...

 

She gave a small yelp as someone suddenly tapped her shoulder from behind.

 

"It's you, all right," said an annoyed voice.

 

Seung Hee turned around to find Min Yoongi, half-annoyed, half-amused.

 

"Scared you," he said darkly.

 

"Don't do that!"

 

"You." The amused half of his expression vanished. "How old are you?" 

 

"You know my age."

 

"Do you know mine?"

 

"Yes," she said, not sure where this was heading.

 

"Then why are you talking to me informally?" he said. "From now on, I'll expect a proper greeting. Understand?"

 

She bowed slightly and muttered, “Yes, I understand.”

 

 "Good," he said, and his voice softened just a bit. "I guess I was a bit late, huh?"

 

Since she had no idea of what he wanted her to say, Seung Hee said nothing. As they turned to go in, someone called out from a short distance, "Yoongi hyung!"

 

Yoongi turned around. "Jungkook?"

 

"Wow, what are you doing here? Coincidence, huh?" said a young man, coming over.

 

Yoongi's eyes narrowed. "You followed me, didn't you?"

 

At first, Seung Hee couldn't recognize him, since he, like Yoongi, was wearing a cap and shades, but when he smiled, when she heard Yoongi, she knew who it was.

 

"Jungkook oppa?"

 

"Oh!" he exclaimed, pointing. "It's you!"

 

"Y-you remember me?" she asked faintly.

 

"Of course I do! Are you waiting for someone?"

 

She glanced at Yoongi and Jungkook made the connection.

 

"It's her?" he asked Yoongi.
 

Yoongi nodded.

 

"Your... fiancee?"

 

He nodded again.

 

For one moment, Jungkook's smile flickered. "Seung Hee, right?"

 

She nodded, suddenly shy, and Jungkook put his hand lightly on her shoulder. “Let’s go eat. You must be starving. Oppa will buy you something good.”

 

"Oppa will buy you something good?" repeated Yoongi, disgusted. He got no reaction from either of them and he followed them inside to a table at the corner. He sat beside Jungkook, opposite Seung Hee. He rolled his eyes as Jungkook started talking about what to order - talking to her, that is.

 

"It's really good," he told Seung Hee. "I guarantee it."

 

"I'll trust you, then," said Seung Hee, smiling back at him and closing the menu. "Are you also going to order that?"

 

Yoongi suddenly stood up.

 

"Hyung," said Jungkook. "What's wrong?"

 

"I have to go," said Yoongi irritably.

 

"What about Seung Hee?"

 

"She got here on her own, so she can go home on her own."

 

"But-"

 

Yoongi stuffed his hands in his pockets and left; Seung Hee watched him go with hanging open.

 

Jungkook laughed nervously. “That hyung is really weird. Don’t worry, he’s not angry - he gets mood wings."

 

Mood swings... nice excuse for a rotten personality.

 

Jungkook's face brightened. “Hey, let’s go to the dorm! I want to introduce you to the other members!"

 

Seung Hee dropped the menu. "Introduce m-me? Why?"

 

"You're Yoongi hyung's fiancee, and the others really wanted to meet you when we heard about you yesterday."

 

Seung Hee’s stomach filled with butterflies. "Yoongi talked about me?"

 

He nodded. "The others want to meet you! And it's our night off."
 

Seung Hee hesitated.

 

"Come on, we can eat something there!"

 

"It's just... won't they be annoyed? I mean, if I suddenly appear on a night off-"

 

"Aw, you're cute!" cried Jungkook. "They won't get mad, promise. They want to meet you."

 

"Ok, then..."
 

"Great!" Jungkook leapt up. "Let's get going, then!"

 

Seung Hee stood up and followed him outside to a Benz. Jungkook opened the passenger door for her.

 

While he drove, Jungkook never stopped talking— filming, movies, dancing - so she had an excuse to look at him. She didn’t need to say much besides “Oh” and “Really?”

 

The more he talked, the more she noticed about him. He made sure to stop at traffic lights, his nose crinkled up a bit when he laughed and he was always smiling - that smile was like a part of him. He didn’t boast about being an idol and when he asked her questions it was always because he was interested and genuinely wanted to hear the answer.

 

Seung Hee could have listened to him forever, but all too soon he pulled up.

 

"We're here," he announced. "Are you excited?"

 

She nodded eagerly. "Of course! I've never visited an idol group before!"

 

"And we've never had a visitor before," said Jungkook. "You'll be the first. And you know what? You're the first girl to have been in my car."

 

She tried not to blush, and hurriedly climbed out. Jungkook was just stating a fact... it was nothing to get flustered over.

 

Jungkook grinned and took her hand. "Come on!"

 

Though this was all pretty exciting, it was kind of terrifying t the same time, too. What if the other members were like Yoongi? Jungkook led her up the steps and opened the door.

 

"Hyungs!" he yelled, motioning Seung Hee inside.. “I brought a guest!”

 

A figure rose from the couch, hair tousled and wearing nothing but a apir of shorts. His eyes weren’t even open as he mumbled, “I told you not to play around when I’m trying to sleep.”

 

"We really have a guest,” said Jungkook, grinning. The other man opened his eyes and shrieked before running out to find a shirt. Jungkook rolled around on the couch, laughing his head off and gasped out, “That was Jimin! And I told him this would happen one day!”

 

No doubt attracted by the din Jungkook was making, two other men in shorts and T-shirts came in, rubbing their sleepy eyes. Seung Hee recognized them as Seokjin and Hoseok, and practically passed out when Hoseok pointed at her and exclaimed, “Oh! Who is this?”

 

 She bowed but before she could introduce herself Jungkook jumped in and said, “She’s our fan, but I’m her favourite."

 

Jimin, in a T-shirt, appeared along with Taehyung who pushed through the others to say, “You don’t like me? I’m really handsome, though!”

 

"My voice is the best, right?” put in Jimin.

 

Hoseok startled her by giving her a sudden hug. “Finally! Someone came to visit us!”

 

A very grumpy voice said from behind them, “Ah, seriously, I was sleeping!” Namjoon's glare faded when he saw Seung Hee.

 

"We have a guest,” Taehyung told him. “She’s my fan.”

 

Jungkook pushed him. “Yah, she’s my fan, not yours!”

 

Jimin tapped her on the arm. “What’s your name?”

 

"L-Lee Seung Hee," she replied, overwhelmed. They seemed really nice...

 

Namjoon shook her hand warmly. "You know me, right?"

 

"My friend really loves you,” said Seung Hee, suddenly wishing that Ha Na were with her. She would have loved to meet BTS...

 

"Really?” said Namjoon, pleased.

 

"Actually,” said Jungkook carefully, steering back the topic. “She’s not just a fan...”

 

"She’s not your sister, is she?" asked Seokjin. "I thought we already met your family.”

 

"She’s not my sister-“

 

"Girlfriend!” guessed Taehyung. “She’s your girlfriend!”

 

"No, she’s…. Yoongi hyung’s fiancée.”

 

Taehyung’s eyes bugged. “I thought he was having dinner with her!"

 

"Wait," said Jimin, confused. "If she’s his fiancée, then why isn’t he here? Why are you introducing her?”
 

Namjoon jabbed him in the ribs and looked at Seung Hee for a second with something in his eyes that was close to pity.

 

"Why don’t you eat here?" he said, and the others nodded enthusiastically.

 

"Oh, I'd hate to impose-"

 

"You're not, we were just about to start," said Seokjin. "Jungkook and Jimin, it’s your turn to cook.”

 

"I’ll help,” offered Seung Hee.

 

"No, it’s ok, you don’t have to-“

 

"Hyung!” cried Jungkook. “Let her, what is your problem?"

 

Seokjin sighed and relented and Seung Hee followed the two members on cooking duty into the kitchen. Jimin took out some kimchi from the fridge and Jungkook scooped out rice from the rice cooker into a pan.

 

"Wait,” said Seung Hee. “You don’t cook the kimchi and spices first?”

 

The two members grinned sheepishly and she said “I’ll make it, ok?”

 

They nodded and watched her so attentively she felt self-conscious as she pan-fried onion and kimchi. When she added the spices and then the rice, Jungkook started bouncing up and down in excitement.

 

"It’s gonna be so good,” he said excitedly. “Look, Jimin, and learn well so that you can make it next time. Except that it will never taste as good as this will.”

 

Seung Hee felt her face warm up. Jungkook was not even being sarcastic or anything… and why was he so excited over kimchi fried rice?

 

"It’s nothing special,” she muttered, and blushed when he said, “It’s special because you made it.”
 

 

Nobody had said something like this to her in her entire life, so she wasn’t sure how to react. At last, she just said, “It’s ready now.”

 

Jungkook carried it to the table where the others were already sitting. Everyone ate with spoons right out of the frying pan; Hoseok told her they always did this because they hated washing dishes. Strangely, she felt at home with these six guys—they were just so easy to talk to. They told her funny incidents that had happened during photo shoots, dance practices and concerts. They also discussed Yoongi.

 

"Yoongi hyung is shy,” declared Taehyung.

 

That made Seung Hee laugh.

 

"I know it sounds unbelievable,” said Seokjin. “But it’s true. You should watch the shows from our debut days—he only opened his mouth if he had to. He’s… well, the way he is now because he wants to portray a confident image.”

 

"More like arrogant,” said Seung Hee, then clapped her hand over , remembering who she was talking to. "I'm sorry, I-"

 

Namjoon smiled at her. “He’s not that arrogant once you get to know him.”

 

Seung Hee wasn’t so sure. Why, out of all the members, was Yoongi the only mean one? At first, she thought that it was because he was a famous star, but the others were also famous and they didn’t behave lie him.

 

Namjoon seemed to read her mind, because he said, "Yoongi is a little hard to get close to, but once he gets attached to you he could give up everything for you. There’s no one better to have by your side than Min Yoongi. I’ll tell you one thing, Seung Hee: I’ve known him for more than twelve years and I’ve never regretted trusting him.”

 

Before Seung Hee could absorb this, the door swung open and Yoongi came striding in, his forehead creased with worry as he spoke into his phone. “I haven’t found her yet. I’m going to have a bite to eat then I’m going back out again.” His eyes narrowed as he took in the scene before him and Seung Hee suddenly felt nervous. Looking at her, he said, “Hold on, I’ve just found her. I’ll bring her over.”

 

Taehyung did not notice the way Yoongi was looking at Seung Hee and said, “Hey, guess what? Your fiancee made us dinner! Why didn’t you tell us how cute she is?”
With deliberate slowness, Yoongi picked up a spoon and put some rice into his mouth. His face screwed up in distaste and he threw the spoon onto the table.

 

"You call this food?” he demanded of Jungkook. “It was your turn to cook, wasn’t it? You and Jimin’s turn. Just because you are the youngest it doesn’t mean that you can get away with everything!” He turned to Seung Hee. “And you! Do you have any idea how long I searched for you?”
“She was with us,” said Jungkook. “I brought her.”

 

"Your grandfather is in the hospital,” said Yoongi shortly. “He collapsed an hour ago.”
“What?” said Seung Hee, horrified. “No…”

 

Just this morning, Grandfather had seemed fine. And he had also seemed fine when she had called him a few hours ago. This had to be a bad dream...

 

"I’ll take her,” said Jungkook. “Which hospital?”

 

"You stay here,” ordered Namjoon. “Yoongi will take her.”

 

Jungkook tried to protest but Namjoon said, “Go quickly.”

 

Seung Hee had no idea what was going on anymore; it was as though her brain had shut down and she couldn’t think. Yet some part of her brain must be working because she stumbled to her feet. Someone blocked her fall—that person looked like Yoongi. No, he would never help someone to their feet. But it was him, and he guided her to his car and drove to the hospital at a speed that seemed suspiciously over the limit. He never said a word, and neither did she.

 

At the hospital, they were taken to a private room. Mr and Mrs Min were already there, but all Seung Hee could see was her grandfather, lying down with a bunch of tubes sticking out of him. She rushed to his side and clasped his hand; it felt frail and his breathing was ragged and uneven. This was it—the cancer had become a reality that she could no longer ignore and tears began streaking down her face.

 

Grandfather was awake, his eyes half-open as he said, “I’m sorry, Seung Hee..."

 

"Don’t say that… you have nothing to be sorry for.”

 

He shook his head. “I do. I’m sorry for marrying you off like this, but one day I know that you will understand.”

 

"Grandfather-“

 

"Listen,” he interrupted. “I want you to live normally. I don’t want to affect you—I want you to go to school and-“

 

"I can’t visit you?”

 

"You can, but not if you’re crying like this. I want to see my granddaughter smiling, not crying."

 

Seung Hee tried to stop but started all over again when he said, “Go with Mrs Min to get your gown. Take lots of pictures, I want to see how beautiful you will look.”

 

Grandfather wanted so many things. Even when he was like this, he insisted on the wedding. All Seung Hee wanted were two things: for him to get better, and to cancel the marriage. She knew better than to ask him, it would just upset him and it would be very bad in his condition. She felt a gentle hand on her shoulder and heard Mrs Min say, “Why don’t you go wait outside with Yoongi?"

 

Yoongi was here? She hadn’t even noticed him until now. He bowed to Grandfather and he followed her out. She sat down in one of the chairs and he sat opposite her. Couldn’t he give her some space? There were plenty of other chairs around...

 

She was dimly aware that he was watching her closely, and normally that would have unnerved her but right now she didn’t care. After a while, she glanced at him through the corner of her eye. He wasn’t looking at her any more, but he must have known that she was looking at him because he held out a small packet of tissues.

 

"What’s this?” she asked.

 

He shrugged, his expression guarded. “You may cry now.”

 

Who did he think he was? It was as though he were giving her permission or something. In spite of his coldness, Seung Hee found herself telling him all about Grandfather and the way he was the only person who had been willing to take her in after her parents divorced—why had she said that? It was none of his business!

 

"He was my entire family,” she finished. “And now….”

 

"I said cry,” snapped Yoongi. “Not talk. I’m not interested in your life.”

 

"That’s right,” said Seung Hee. “I forgot. You’re only interested in yourself.”

 

Yoongi opened his mouth to say something, thought better of it and closed it. He glared down at the floor until his parents came out and he said, “Good, you’re out. I’m leaving now.”

 

"Yoongi-"

 

He ignored his mother and strode off, his hands buried in his pockets.

 

As Seung Hee watched him leave, she was suddenly struck with a disturbing question: where would she live? It wasn’t as though Grandfather would let her live by herself. She wasn’t quite sure how to ask this question, but didn’t need to anyway, for Mrs Min said, “Come on, dear, you’ll be staying with us for a while.”

 

Seung Hee was about to protest, but she didn’t as it was no use. Anyway, since when had she been asked for her opinion? She should be used to it by now. Still, how could she live with the Mins? She didn’t even know them… they were all strangers to her.