Chapter Eight

Nae Idol

 

Yoongi left the next day and Seung Hee continued to go down for meals. It was so hard to get up in the mornings, to leave her bed, the only place she felt safe in. She hated being with Mr and Mrs Min—they were so nice, but she felt like a burden. She still avoided Ha Na's phone calls and slowly, Ha Na's phone calls stopped. Instead of finding solace in solitude, she found loneliness, but when she was with people, she longed to be alone.

 

One day, she was alone in the house watching EXO perform on Music Bank. Someone knocked on the door, but she didn't have the willpower to get up and face whoever it was. She heard a key being turned in the lock and assumed it was one of the Mins. She stared blankly at the screen, not registering a thing that was going on.

 

Someone put their hands over her eyes and she cried out.

 

"Guess who,” said a voice so close it tickled her ear.

 

She recognized the voice, and the memories of happiness that accompanied it. For the first time since her grandfather's death, she felt something other than empty sorrow: an eager, small something in the pit of her stomach.

 

"Jungkook,” she whispered.

 

"How did you guess?” he asked, pretending to pout sulkily. “I'm upset that you guessed so easily. Am I that common?”

 

Without realizing it, the corners of Seung Hee's mouth turned up in a tiny smile - it was so good to see Jungkook again!

 

He came and stood in front of her and studied her. She felt her face heat up under his unblinking but incredibly soft and warm brown eyes - they looked like melted chocolate...

 

"W-what?” she stuttered.

 

He smiled, and the entire room lit up. “It's good to see you again, that's it.”

 

He sat down beside her. “I heard that you're eating again. It's a relief, to be frank. Do you know how worried I was?"

 

Jungkook thought about her? Her heart filled with warmth for the first time in two months.

 

"You… were worried about me?”

 

"Of course I was! So were the others. I would have come earlier, but my schedule was full.”

 

"How did you know about me?" she whispered.

 

"Yoongi told us.”

 

"Was he worried?”

 

"Yes.”
 

Really?”

 

"Really.”

 

So Yoongi really had worried about her. The idea was laughable, but…. why did he? It was probably as he said - he couldn't stand by and watch people starve themselves.

 

Jungkook was still watching her, and she became self-conscious and mentally kicked herself for not bothering to comb out the snarls in her hair.

 

And for wearing her Hello Kitty pyjamas. Why couldn't she have been wearing something more... well, normal?

 

"What are you thinking about?" asked Jungkook in a gentle voice.

 

"Nothing,” she replied, too quickly. “What about you?”

 

"Me? I'm thinking about how cute you look even with tangled hair. And about how I love Hello Kitty.”

 

Seung Hee's heart began to thud. An awkwardness hung in the air, until he coughed and said brusquely, ”Well, I was just wondering if… you know, you don't have to, but… let's go somewhere.”

 

"Um, right now?”

 

"Right now.”

 

"Where will we go?”

 

"Anywhere you want.”

 

Going somewhere with Jungkook - it was a dream come true. But did she have the courage to go outside, to face people?

 

She didn't need to search deep to find the answer: yes, as long as he was beside her, and she was enveloped in the aura of happiness that always seemed to surround him. As though reading her mind, he said, “Don't worry, I'll be with you the entire time.”

 

She turned her face - she couldn't let him guess what she was thinking, he'd laugh at her!

 

He waited in the living room while she went up to change. Looking in the mirror, she saw for the first time her dark circles, her cracked lips, and her hollow eyes - she looked awful. And her clothes were way too big for her. She covered her face with her hands in despair - Jungkook had seen her like this! What must he think of her?

 

There was a soft knock at the door.

 

"Seung Hee," calld Jungkook. “Are you ok?”

 

NO SHE WAS NOT!!! And how did he even know she was going through a crisis?

 

"I-I'm fine,” she called back, her voice strangely high-pitched. She took deep, calming breaths and forced herself to go out - after all, no matter how long she stood lamenting at her reflection, it wasn't going to change.

 

And she really wanted to be with Jungkook.

 

He smiled at her and held up his phone. “I already called Mrs Min and told her that we were going somewhere.”

 

She gave him a nervous smile and they went down the stairs.

 

"Where do you want to go?” he asked.

 

She shrugged, and followed him hesitantly out the house and into his car.

"How about a movie?” he suggested. “There's a new one that's supposed to be really good.”

 

"I haven't been to the movies for a long time," she murmured. "I'd like that.”

 

Jungkook took her to the movie theater, where he bought her popcorn and ice cream. They took their seats in the back, and his close proximity made her slightly uncomfortable. His arm was on the armrest, and so was hers. Their arms were touching, and after about thirty seconds she put her hands in her lap.

 

Jungkook had taken her to watch a comedy, and she laughed at every little thing. It wasn't really the movie that was making her laugh, it was more about finally going out of her room and realizing that there was really no point in staying in - there was too much to miss. Life was going on, and wouldn't wait for her. She needed to catch up with time, and she decided that she wouldn't stay shut in anymore. Grandfather would hate it if he knew how she had behaved...

 

Jungkook seemed to know what she was thinking – he gave her a warm, encouraging smile, and she smiled back.

 

* * * *

Mrs Min was surprised to see Seung Hee smiling when she got back home.

 

"Did you watch a good movie?” she asked, and got a nod in reply. This was serious improvement, as Seung Hee had disregarded her questions before.

 

Was the improvement because of Yoongi's friend, Jungkook? Mrs Min had always noticed that you couldn't help but be happy around him. Maybe that was what Seung Hee needed - a person like Jungkook to spend time with. Of course, she would have preferred Yoongi, but with his personality it was better that he stayed away - she would never forget that time he had shaken the girl to try and get her to stop crying.

 

The next day, however, Seung Hee moped around watching TV until Jungkook made an appearance before lunch. The girl visibly perked up when he entered the room, and looked excited when he announced that he was taking her for a picnic. He glanced at Mrs Min, who nodded and shot him a grateful look.

 

For the next four days, Jungkook came to take Seung Hee somewhere - the amusement park, to go bowling, or just a walk. Every day, Mrs Min felt some of the worry leave her shoulders as she watched Seung Hee's amazingly quick recovery. She laughed often, she chatted to Mrs Min, she asked questions - but she was still hesitant to face other people.

 

Mrs Min was terrified Seung Hee would go back to how she was, but after more than a week of nothing but improvement, she decided to call Yoongi to tell him the good news.

 

"Jungkook is amazing,” she said. "Seung Hee is almost back to normal. I don't know how it happened but I do know that it's because of him."


"Wait," said Yoongi, sure he'd misheard. "What about Jungkook?"

 

"Didn't he tell you? He's been coming over to see Seung Hee every day."

 

"I told him not to!" yelled Yoongi.

 

"Don't you dare stop him," said Mrs Min severly. "He's doing everything we can't - he's giving her someone to trust."
 

For some reason, that made Yoongi mad. Why would Seung Hee trust Jungkook?

 

"How can you just let her wander around alone with him?” he asked darkly.

 

"Yoongi, you know him," said Mrs Min. "He has no bad intentions, and he adores Seung Hee.”

 

He snorted.

 

"Can't you see that Jungkook is amazing?" demanded his mother. "She's healing so quickly.”

 

"Great," said Yoongi sarcastically. "Especially the part when he does something stupid and I get revealed."

 

Mrs Min lost patience. "The world isn't about you, Yoongi," she said. "Some things are more important than your career."

 

"Not to me."
 

"And that's a shame." She sighed. "Just please, don't make Jungkook stop coming. If he doesn't turn up, I will go to the dorm and make him come."

 

That stupid Seung Hee was creeping into all of thir lives now...

 

"You promised!" yelled Yoongi. "You promised she wouldn't change anything - but she is!"

 

Mrs Min cut the connection.

 

Furious, Yoongi left his room to go find Jungkook and met Namjoon on the way.

 

"What's the matter?” asked Namjoon, noticing Yoongi's expression.

 

"Nothing,” muttered Yoongi.

 

"Eh, I don't think so. Is Seung Hee all right?”

 

"She's fine.”

 

"Any improvement?”

 

"A lot of improvement.”

 

"Strange - you don't seem very happy about it.”

 

"How can I be?" demanded Yoongi. "Jungkook is putting us all into danger!"

 

"What?"

 

Yoongi found Jungkook in the living room, playing video games with Jimin and Taehyung.

 

"Whay are you butting in?" he yelled at Jungkook. Everyone stared at him in surprise.

 

Jungkook paused the game."What are you talking about?"

 

"You know what I'm talking about! You're trying to get me exposed, aren't you?"

 

"I'm trying to help-"

 

"Then stop. I don't want your help."

 

"I'm not helping you," said Jungkook quietly. "I'm helping Seung Hee."

 

Yoongi heard Namjoon sigh.

 

"Just stop!" he yelled. "She doesn't need your help!"

 

Attracted by Yoongi's shouts, Hoseok and Seokjin came and asked, "What's going on?"

 

Taehyung rolled his eyes. "Yoongi hyung is jealous of Jungkookie."

 

"W-what?" sputtered Yoongi. "Me, jealous? Don't be stupid."

 

"Yoongi hyung hates her," said Jungkook, looking him in the eyes, as though daring him to say otherwise. "He calls her 'brat', he thinks of her as an annoying kid, and he just doesn't care."

 

Yoongi's stomach twisted. He did care, he realized - but not enough to jeopardize his career.

 

"You're being selfish," he said, glaring at Jungkook. "You're putting us all in danger!"

 

"I'm being really careful," said Jungkook earnestly. "I swear, if there's any sign of trouble, I'll take care of it."

 

Yoongi knew there was no use in trying to persuade Jungkook. Anyway, Jungkook would soon get tired of her and then things would go back to normal.

 

"Do what you want," he said. "I don't care. Just don't drag me into it when you get in trouble. And under no circumstances should the company find out, all right?"

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

The others stared at Yoongi; Namjoon with his eyebrows raised. All of them skeptical critical.Yoongi didn't care. Jungkook could do whatever he wanted with that stupid kid. He didn't care...

 

Watching Jungkook turn the game back on and getting Taehyung to play, Yoongi suddenly had the urge to punch him...

 

* * * *

 

When Jungkook walked Seung Hee back to the house that night, he was strangely silent. It was when they reached the doorstep that he spoke.

"I don't know why," he said. "But I feel as though I've known you forever..."

 

"I feel like that, too," said Seung Hee. "I- I feel comfortable around you....”

 

Her words trailed off, and as his warm gaze fixed upon her, her face began to heat up. He drew his face up really close and whispered, “Can I try something?”

 

She had no time to reply, or even think about what he meant – except that she knew that Jungkook would never do anything to make her uncomfortable.

 

He put his arms around her and held her in a gentle embrace. Her head rested against his shoulder, and though surprised, she felt at ease. She didn't know why he was doing this, and she didn't ask; she didn't want to ruin this moment. He had cast a spell of silence....

 

The spell was broken by a jeer. ”Isn't this adorable?

 

Jungkook released Seung Hee and Yoongi appeared behind them.

 

"Move it,” he said. “I want to get in my house."

 

Seung Hee stepped aside and he grabbed her wrist. “You,” he said. “Come on.”

 

"Let me go,” cried Seung Hee.

 

"Yah, hyung,” said Jungkook. “You're hurting her-”

 

"As you can see," said Yoongi through clenched teeth. "The kid is home, so you can go now.”

 

Jungkook clearly did not want to leave, but when Seung Hee wished him a good night, he knew that he shouldn't stay - his presence seemed to anger Yoongi. Besides, she was home now and he had nothing to worry about. He felt uneasy, though, as he drove back to the dorm.

 

Seung Hee watched Jungkook's car pull out the drive, and Yoongi, still gripping her wrist, pulled her inside. The rooms were empty and dark—they were the only ones home.

 

Yoongi slammed the door shut and then pulled her to him, locking his arms around her. Seung Hee felt nothing but suffocation; he was holding her too tightly, she couldn't breathe, and her face was smashed against his chest.

 

"What are you doing?” she demanded, struggling.

 

"Stay still,” he ordered, and he loosened his hold and she stopped struggling. She could feel his heartbeat speeding up, just like hers, and the whole thing was uncomfortable. This was too intimate...what was wrong with him?

 

She managed to push him away. “Stop it!”

 

"What?” he asked, his burning eyes filled with some kind of darkness.

 

"Why did you do that?" she asked, her voice trembling.

 

"I was curious—I wanted to know why Jungkook did it.”

 

"Don't do it again, I don't like it...”

 

She turned to leave, but Yoongi pushed her against the wall and put one arm on either side, trapping her. Up until this point, Seung Hee hadn't really been afraid, but she was now.

 

"Jungkook is all right, but not me?” he demanded dangerously.“Why can he do that, but not me?”

 

"Why are you like this?” she asked, trying to duck under one of his arms and escape, but he caught her.

 

What was his problem? The last time they had met, he had reminded her once again that that they had nothing to do with each other, that she was a burdensome kid. Seung Hee had never seen him like this before... there was something mixed in with the anger.

 

She said nothing, knowing that whatever she said would make him even madder, and stared down at the floor.

 

"Tell me,” he said. “Why would Jungkook pay attention to you? You are nothing—just a kid.”

 

"I'm not,” she said softly.

 

"What?”

 

"I'm not a kid,” she said, louder.

 

"You are," he hissed. "You are a stupid, annoying little brat..."

 

Seung Hee couldn't stand it any more. She didn't want to admit it, but she was afraid - she was afraid of him...

 

Her eyes filled with tears and she choked, "P-please... let me go..."

 

Yoongi's eyes flickered; he moved away. He didn't look at her when he muttered, "Pathetic.”

 

He stomped off, and Seung Hee slid to the floor and drew her knees to her chest. She shouldn't be afraid - he was trying to make her feel small and worthless, and she was letting him win...

 

But the strangest thing of all was that he had embraced her—sort of. Why had he done that? He never touched her if he didn't have to. He was probably toying with her, trying and succeeding to scare her.

 

It contrasted sharply with Jungkook's embrace—that one had been warm and safe. Yoongi's inspired fear and suffocation.

 

Seung Hee could hear Yoongi's movements in his room upstairs. She didn't go up since she might see him again and who knows what might happen. The safest option was to wait for Mr or Mrs Min to get home...

 

* * * *

 

Yoongi sat at the top of the stairs. Why wasn't she coming up? She was alone down there, in the dark… alone and crying.

 

He had made her cry again…

 

He hadn't meant to lose his head like that. Something inside him had snapped when he had seen her with Jungkook, he hadn't even been able to think.

 

He wanted to go down to see her, but he knew he would just end up yelling. He wanted to yell, too – yell at her for creeping into his thoughts, for appearing in his life.

 

But most of all, he just didn't have the courage to face her...