Chapter Twelve

Nae Idol

She forgot that she was afraid of him...

 

Maybe she could stay here forever. Right here, right now, things seemed uncomplicated, it felt as though nothing could harm her now...

 

Yoongi suddenly pushed her away.

 

"Move it,” he snapped. “Aish, so clingy..."

 

Why had he held her so closely only to push her away? Seung Hee thought that they had become a bit closer…

 

Maybe they had – maybe Yoongi was just embarrassed.

 

"Could you stay here for dinner?” she asked, without really considering the question. All she knew was that she didn't want him to leave yet.

 

He frowned. “Why would I do that?”

 

"I really hate eating alone. And I could repay you for helping me just nowwhat do you want to eat?"

 

"Forget it," he mumbled. "I didn't help you. I just can't watch a girl – I mean, a kid – get hit by a man.”

 

They sat in awkward silence.

 

Seung Hee sighed. She wanted to say something to end the unnatural silence, but didn't know what to say. What could you say to an unpredictable person like Yoongi?

 

Yoongi stared straight ahead of him when he asked, “Did you see the rest of the apartment?”


She nodded, having the grace to look guilty.

 

 

"I should've known,” he muttered. “You never listen to me.”

He finally looked at her. “Get up and follow me – I want to show you something.”

 

Wondering what it could be, Seung Hee stood up and followed Yoongi into his room. He stood in front of the glass wall, his hands in his pockets.

Seung Hee looked down at the city. It was even more beautiful at night. Everything was brightly lit, and it made her think of a city inhabited by fireflies – bright and shining.

 

Seung Hee jumped a bit when Yoongi suddenly said, "Beautiful, right?"
 

She nodded. "Everything looks so tiny from up here..."”

 

"You look tiny no matter where you are.”

 

She ignored the jibe, and kept observing the city.

 

"The glass is tinted,” he said, after a while. “We can see outside, but no one can see inside. It's refreshing, you know, to be able to see them but they can't see you.”

 

Seung Hee thought she understood what he meant.

 

"Because you're a celebrity,” she said. “you always have people watching you. That must be hard.”

 

"What do you know?” he asked in a tone that clearly warned her to say no more.

 

"You're right," she said, after a pause. "I don't know."

 

Another moment of awkward silence. She noticed Yoongi tapping his foot, his expressionless face.

 

"Can I ask you something?” he said at last.

 

"Um, yes?” she said uncertainly.

 

"No, you will answer me – remember, when I ask a question, I want an answer.”

 

She nodded, not knowing where all this was going to. Yoongi was behaving very strangely tonight – holding her then pushing her away, defending her and now wanting to ask her something. Come to think of it, he had never asked her anything serious before…

 

He took a deep breath, and said slowly, “Did you mean what you said? That idols… are also human beings?”

 

"Well, yeah,” she said, slightly taken aback. “I mean, it's the truth. But why are you asking me this?”

 

"I'm an idol,” he said. “Do you consider me as a person? Not just a celebrity – also as a person?”

 

"What else are you supposed to be, if you're not a person?” said Seung Hee. “You're a celebrity because it's your job – you could have been a doctor or something. Being a celebrity doesn't change the fact that you're a human – and that you have the right to a private life.”

 

Yoongi's intense eyes were fixed upon her the entire time she was speaking, and she didn't understand his expression – why was he looking at her as though he had never seen her before? She looked away, uncomfortable. His eyes were so intense, it seemed as though they could see past her physical self, and into her soul. It seemed as though they could swallow her up, that they could hypnotize her – they were so beautiful.

 

How could she have never noticed that before? And why was her heartbeat starting to speed up?

 

Yoongi coughed awkwardly, and the spell was broken. He said gruffly, “I'm going now.”

 

Seung Hee could only nod, and he nearly ran out.

 

Yoongi leaned against the door outside, his heart pumping overtime. He thought that he would have exploded if he didn't get away from her – that he would have done something he would regret later. Because she had just said something no one had ever said to him before – she thought of him as a person.

 

Yoongi wished she hadn't said that. Those were the words that he had yearned to hear ever since his debut. Why, of all people, was she the one who said them?

* * * *

 

For the rest of the week, every day was the same for Seung Hee – go to school, come home, homework, eat dinner all alone, study, and sleep. Of course, Mrs Min called every day, and so did Jungkook.

 

Seung Hee didn't know why, but she felt guilty whenever she thought about him and whenever he called, she truthfully told him that she had too much schoolwork to do. And, being the sweet guy that he was, he always told her to go ahead and have sweet dreams.

 

And the mysterious texter sent her messages every day, and questions asking her about school and how she was getting along with all the changes in her life. She was still pretty sure that it was Jungkook, because who else would know so much about her? It was like carrying a secret friend in her pocket. Always there, always saying something supportive.

 

Sure enough, the first thing she did on Saturday morning was check her phone, and yes, she had a text to greet her: morning sleeping beauty. Had sweet dreams?

 

She smiled and replied, No dreams last night. How about you?

 

Nope. It's Saturday, so what are you going to do?

 

Seung Hee sighed. Now that school started, she didn't have time for anything anymore…

 

Finish the ton of homework due on Monday.

 

 

Doesn't sound very fun but I guess it's something you have to do. I'm busy too. No day off.

 

What would you like to do if you had a day off?

 

 

Sleep and play. Do anything I want to do, go anywhere I want to go.

 

What is your job? Please tell me!!!!!

 

It's very hard and I get bossed around all the time.

 

Was Jungkook talking about Yoongi? Gosh, Yoongi bossed around everyone!

 

I get bossed around too! Just by one person, but he is VERY bossy.

 

Who is he?

 

Who was Yoongi to her?

Someone I can't get away from and confuses me.

 

 

Why does he confuse you?

 

Everything about Yoongi confused her!

He is nice one second then mean the next.

 

Maybe he is confused, too. Maybe he doesn't know how to treat you.

 

Yeah right. Jungkook was just being nice. Why are you saying that?

 

 

Because I'm confused, too. I don't know how to get closer to the girl I like.

 

Jungkook liked someone? She wondered who it was – lucky girl, to get someone like Jungkook.

 

Just be nice to her, and spend time together.

 

Do you think she will like me?

 

Who couldn't like him? You're pretty nice, so she will definitely like you!!!

 

Don't forget what you just wrote.

 

 

Seung Hee didn't know what to text back – what did Jungkook mean? And who was this girl he went on about?

 

One last message came: go do your homework RIGHT NOW!!!!!

 

She sighed. Why were older guys always so bossy? Sometimes, Jungkook's texts bossed her around in such a manner that reminded her of Yoongi – he could almost be Yoongi's rival in bossiness.

 

It was strange, though. Jungkook was never bossy in person, or over the phone. It was just in these texts.

 

She ate Chocos without milk for breakfast, just crunching them up like a chocolatey treat while watching TV and received a text right in the middle of her meal: don't eat chocos go eat something healthy.

 

How did he know that she ate Chocos? She was pretty sure she hadn't told him that … and he hadn't seen the box she had bought, either, because Yoongi was the only person who had come.

 

After she finished eating, she forced herself to complete the homework assignments – she wanted to finish everything by today, so she would have Sunday free. In between, though, she called Mrs Min and promised to drop by one day with Yoongi.

 

She didn't eat lunch, and worked until her eyes blurred, her fingers were stiff, and her brain refused to function properly. Thankfully, it was six in the evening and she was almost done – so she could take a small break, right? She took her phone but before she could check for new texts it rang.

 

It was an unknown number, but not the one that was sending her texts.

 

"Hello?” she said.

 

"Seung Hee?” said a familiar voice. “It's me, Namjoon.”

 

"Oh, Namjoon oppa!” she cried. “Sorry, I almost didn't recognize you. Did something happen?”

 

"Can we talk? I need to tell you something.”

 

"You sound really serious. Is everything ok?”

 

"Yes, everything is ok. I'll be right over.”

 

Seung Hee rushed to clear the couch of her books and papers, and by the time Namjoon came in the couch was cleared and coffee was ready.

 

"Smells good,” he said, smiling warmly.

 

"I made coffee.”

 

"Thank you – God knows I need it.”

 

"Are you very tired?”

 

"Just the usual.”

 

He rubbed his tired eyes and sat down heavily, and she rushed to get him the cup of coffee. He smiled at her gratefully and took a sip.

 

"It's sweet," he said. "Just the way Yoongi likes it.”

 

"Yoongi likes coffee?”

 

Namjoon chuckled. “He likes anything with sugar in it, and yes, he likes coffee.”

 

She nodded, not sure why she had wanted to know.

 

He took another sip before asking, “How are you doing here?”

 

"Me? Oh, really good. I mean, it's comfortable and not too far from school.”

 

"You're living by yourself – aren't you lonely?”

 

"Not really. I'm quite busy and, well, I'm used to being left alone – but I'm so busy I hardly notice.”

 

"Busy doing what?”

 

"Studying, what with the finals and college entrance exams coming up."

 

"Ok, but don't study too hard – you could wreck your brain.”

 

"It's already wrecked.”

 

They laughed, and Seung Hee could see why he was the leader of BTS even though Seokjin and Yoongi were older. He was really caring, and you automatically felt like listening to him and following anything he said. Out of all the members, Seung Hee liked Namjoon the most after Jungkook– he was just so easy to get along with.

 

"When will you come visit us again?” he asked. “The others really want to see you, too.”

 

Seung Hee's smile faded a bit. She really wanted to see them, too. “He doesn't want me to,” she said quietly. “He told me not to talk to you guys. Actually, he'd get mad if he knew you stopped by.”

 

Namjoon knew without asking that she was talking about Yoongi. He nodded. “I heard about Manager Woo. Are you scared?”


“Not really. I mean, I didn't do anything wrong.”

 

"Wow, you're brave – I remember you wanted to go bungee jumping.”

 

They laughed softly, and Seung Hee remembered saying that – it was barely half an hour before she heard about Grandfather.

 

Namjoon, noticing her expression, cleared his throat and changed the topic. “Has Yoongi come to visit you after that night?”

 

She shook her head, remembering how he had held her close that night in his comforting embrace, then pushed her away. And that question he had asked her – it was such a strange thing to ask.

"Seung Hee," said Namjoon. “I came here because I think there is something about Yoongi that you should know. I don't know if it's my place to tell you all this, but he will never tell you and you have the right to know."

 

And he told her about Yoongi.