Chapter Four

Nae Idol

Seung Hee spent the night in the Mins’ guest room, a blue room with four large windows. They had gone the previous night to her house so that she could pack her clothes, schoolbooks and uniform. She tossed and turned the entire night, maybe because Grandfather was in the hospital, or because this was an unfamiliar room; maybe both, in fact.


 

She had been told that Yoongi lived in the dorm with the other members but sometimes came to visit and still had a room here. She had expected him to be in the dorm but he was at the table eating breakfast when she came down the next morning. She stood awkwardly, not wanting to face him.

 

"You’re awake!” cried Mrs Min, emerging into the dining room carrying a teapot. “Aigoo, our Seung Hee is very pretty. Come eat, honey.”


 

Pretty? No one ever said Seung Hee was pretty. People called her cute because of her round face and big eyes, but she was not pretty.

 

Mr Min had already left for work at the bank – he was the manager—and Seung Hee sat in the chair opposite Yoongi, the one that Mrs Min had pointed to.

 

There were pancakes for breakfast, and while Seung Hee ate she sneaked little peeks at Yoongi. It was so weird to see him doing something so normal, like eating homemade pancakes, onto which he had spread a generous layer of jam. She averted her eyes every time he looked up and after a bit of this, he kept his eyes on her. She dared not look up from her plate; she couldn’t tell what kind of a mood he was in.

 

"Did you sleep well?”

 

At first, she thought Yoongi was talking to his mother but she was in the kitchen. She looked at him questioningly.

 

"Yes, you,” he said. “Did you sleep well?”

 

This time, Seung Hee knew the question was directed towards her and nodded.

 

"Don’t lie. I know you didn’t.”

 

Was he being mean or not? It was so difficult to tell...

 

Mrs Min slid in the chair next to her and said, “Phew! Now I finally get to eat.”

 

"Thank you for breakfast, Mrs Min.”

 

"Eh, what’s with the ‘Mrs Min’? Call me Eomoni, honey. Call me mother.”

 

"Eo-eomoni,” said Seung Hee tentatively.

 

Mrs Min smiled. “That’s better. Mr Min is Aboni, and Yoongi is oppa.”


 

Seung Hee wouldn’t be caught dead calling Yoongi that—it was what girls called older guys that they were close to.

 

Apparently, Yoongi didn’t like it either. “Eomma!”

 

She ignored him. "Are you going to school today?”

 

Seung Hee nodded.


 

"Would you like to go shopping on Saturday?”

 

Seung Hee nodded again, wishing more than anything to be left in peace.

 

"Yoongi,” said Mrs Min. “Since Seung Hee doesn’t know the neighborhood well, take her to school today.”
 

Yoongi looked as horrified as Seung Hee felt. “You expect me to step foot in a high school? They’ll see her come out of my car and this entire thing will get exposed!”
 

Mrs Min sighed. “If you’re talking about your marriage, I still don’t see why you want to keep it a secret."

 

"Eomma, she’s just a kid. Do you know how damaging that could be for my image? I could get kicked out of my agency!We talked about this already and anyway, she could get bashed by my fans.”

 

"Why would your fans bash her?”

 

"Because she married me. Fans can be so possessive it’s scary.”

 

They were talking about Seung Hee as though she weren’t there. She stood up. “Excuse me, but I think I had better be going to school now.”

 

"I’ll take you half way,” muttered Yoongi.

 

Seung Hee and his mother stared at him and he cleared his throat, embarrassed. “But if you’re not out the door and in my car in ten minutes I’m leaving without you!”

 

"Ok, ok, let me get my bag.” Seung Hee raced to change into her uniform and get her bag. She said a hurried goodbye and made it outside just as Yoongi was backing his car out the driveway and she had to shout for him to stop.

 

"You’re late,” he commented, and once she was in he began driving. “Don’t think I’m just dropping you off. I wanted to talk to you.”

 

"Me?” said Seung Hee. “Talk to me about what?”

 

"The so-called marriage. I don’t want any trouble so you keep your mouth shut about it.”

 

"I won’t say anything.” If he could speak to her rudely, she could do the same. “I don’t want anyone to know that I’m with you.”

 

He smirked. “You’re wrong. You’re not with me. All that will bind us is a piece of paper. We have nothing to do with each other, and as long as you do as I say, things will go smoothly.”

 

The more he talked, the smaller he made Seung Hee feel. He made he feel insignificant, worthless; he treated her like a clueless kid who kept annoying him.

 

"Don’t talk to me unless I talk to you first. Don’t call me unless I tell you to. The marriage will only be processed when you turn eighteen, so it's basically all pretend now. In front of your grandfather, we will be civil with each other, but in private I will not acknowledge you.” Yoongi’s orders went on and on and on. “Don’t visit the dorm, don’t speak to the members, and if we run into each other do not acknowledge me. Got it?”

 

She said nothing, knowing that if she opened she would scream at him.

 

"If I ask you a question,” he said coldly. “I expect an answer. Do you understand?"

 

She nodded.

 

"Answer properly.”

 

"Yes,” she whispered.

 

"Good.” He stopped the car. “Get off here. Ask for directions to your school or whatever. Do not speak of this to your grandfather or my parents."

 

Seung Hees lower lip trembled as she got out. How could he leave her in the middle of Seoul like this? She didn’t even know where she was…

 

"One more thing,” said Yoongi. “Never, under any circumstances, cry in front of me. I cannot and will not tolerate it.”

 

He drove away, watching her figure in the rear-view mirror become smaller and smaller. She stood frozen, gazing after the car, her tiny figure looking lonely and lost in the busy streets of Seoul. She made him think of an abandoned child—and with a jolt he realized that she was one. She was basically a kid, and he had abandoned her in the city. Yoongi's conscience pricked a bit, but he did not go back.

 

* * * *

Seung Hee got lost on the subway and missed the first two periods of school. Since she had no note to excuse her she was given detention and after sitting in the detention hall for an hour she got lost again on her way back. By the time she reached the Mins’ house, it was late and she was starving.


 

Mrs Min was in the living room shouting at someone over the phone. “How could you not give her proper directions? What if something happened to her?!”

 

Then she saw Seung Hee and said, “She just got home, but I’m not done with you, Min Yoongi. I’ll call you back.”

 

She engulfed Seung Hee in a tight hug. “I was so worried about you! I was imagining all sorts of things and I got so angry with Yoongi.”

 

"I got lost,” explained Seung Hee. “But I know the way now.”

 

"I’ll tell Yoongi to take you again tomorrow.”

 

"No, please! I’m fine. P-please, don’t bother him.”

 

Mrs Min heard the panic in her voice; she narrowed her eyes. “Is he being mean to you? Because you should stand up to him if he is. Don’t take everything, fight back.”

 

Seung Hee shook her head. “We are both... this was all a bit too sudden...”

Mrs Min gave her a reassuring squeeze. “All right then. Don’t forget what I said, ok? You don’t have to take it if he bullies you. Now, how about some dinner?”

 

It’s not so bad, thought Seung Hee. If she could live with Mrs Min, maybe she would be ok.

* * * *

 

Jungkook went to the table where the other members were, carrying all their drinks. When he set them on the table Yoongi barked, “I didn’t order this!”

 

"Get another one yourself then,” retorted Jungkook, taking a seat. “All you do nowadays is boss me around then change your mind.”

 

Yoongi his glass moodily and Seokjin glared at him. “Ever since you got that wedding thing you’ve been ten times grumpier. Don’t spoil tonight for us.”

 

Tonight was one of those rare nights that they were allowed to go to the bar. On those nights, they had a rule: nothing and no one could spoil it or else.

 

Yoongi sighed. “Sorry, guys. I guess…. I’ve been a little stressed out.”

 

"Don’t use me to de-stress, ok?” said Jungkook.

 

Yoongi's attention was suddenly diverted to something behind Namjoon.

 

They followed his gaze to see a tall, skinny girl in a miniskirt.

 

"Mr Player’s on the prowl,” said Taehyung, grinning. “Will you be like this after your wedding?”

 

"What wedding?” Yoongi scoffed. "It's pretty much just pretend - no way will I admit I'm married to anyone, especially that brat."

 

Taehyung sniggered and whispered something to Jimin, who snorted.

 

Yoongi shot them all dirty looks and got up. He went over to the girl he had spotted earlier and began talking to her.

 

Jungkook watched him whisper in her ear to say something that made her laugh. Not for the first time, he felt his heart ache for Seung Hee—the girl he had only met twice, yet he felt as comfortable around her as someone he had known for years.

 

"I feel so bad for Seung Hee.”

 

Hoseok shot him an understanding look. “I know. She’s a nice kid. Invite her over one day; I want to see her again.”

 

Taehyung, who was keeping an eye on Yoongi, suddenly exclaimed, “I don’t believe this! He already got her!”

 

They all looked to where Taehyung was pointing and sure enough, Yoongi was exiting the bar with the girl, his arm around her shoulders. Jungkook’s hands became fists underneath the table and he said, almost aggressively, “He has no right to marry her, or anyone for that matter.”

 

Namjoon ruffled his hair. “Looks like our youngest is drunk. Shall I take you home?”

 

Jungkook shook his head. “I’m not drunk. I- I can’t let Seung Hee get stuck with someone like that..."

* * * *

 

When Seung Hee stepped out to go to school the next morning, she found Jungkook waiting by the gate. He had on his hat pulled low over his face and his shades, but there was no hiding that dazzling smile. "Seung Hee!"

 

"Jungkook!" she cried. "What are you doing here?"

 

"I'm here to give you a ride to school!"

 

Whatever she had been expecting, it wasn’t this. “Huh? But-“

 

"No buts! I’ll be your personal driver today, but it’s not for free. My price is you buying me dinner one night. Deal?”

 

"Deal!” Seung Hee laughed out loud even though nothing funny had happened. Jungkook had that effect on her—he made her feel happy when there was nothing happy going on in her life at the moment.

 

He opened the door for her and as she got in he said, “Something good must have happened, you look joyful.”

 

She just smiled. It’s you, she wanted to say. You’re the good thing that happened to me. But she didn’t, and he talked to her animatedly the entire way to school.

 

* * * *

 

Ten minutes after Seung Hee had left for school, Yoongi came in through the door. “Hi, Eomma.”

 

"Yoongi! What—is something the matter?”

 

"I was just going by and all of a sudden I missed you.”

 

Mrs Min suppressed a grin. “Ok, what do you want?"

 

Yoongi hugged his mother. “Nothing. I really did miss you!”

 

"You’re acting very odd—since when have you been affectionate?"

 

He let go. “Um, not sure. Anyway, where’s the kid? I thought that since I was here I might as well take her to school.”

 

"She just left.”

 

Aish, that kid! Just when he was about to do her a favor, too. And maybe make up a bit for abandoning her in Seoul. Except... why did he even care?

* * * *

 

Yoongi did not go home even for a short visit in the next one and a half weeks, blaming it on all the pressure President Kim, the CEO of his agency, was giving to work harder.

 

"K Entertainment is no joke,” he told his mother over the phone after insisting that he was way too busy to come over. “Maybe I should have stayed with SM Entertainment.”

 

"You know that SM wouldn’t have let you debut.”

 

Yoongi hung up on Mrs Min after that comment, and she muttered, “Great, I just offended him again.”

 

Then she smiled at Seung Hee. “Guess he won’t make it tonight, either."

 

Seung Hee was relieved but knew that it was rude to say so. There was also something she wanted to clarify. “Yoongi was in SM Entertainment?”

 

He was a trainee there, yes. He was accepted by the three major agencies—SM, YG, and JYP. He chose SM.”

 

"But isn’t he under K right now?"

 

Seung Hee, he was fourteen when he became a trainee at SM. He’s always had a… difficult personality and after five years of training he said something to offend the CEO.”

 

"What was it?”
 

I don’t know, but it was bad enough to make him never debut—but they never told him that. He just kept on training for years and the band that he was supposed to be in debuted without him. Finally, he accepted an offer from K Entertainment. If he signed under them, he could debut immediately - so he and his friend Namjoon-"

 

"You mean... Rap Monster?"

 

"That’s right.”
 

He was in SM, too?”

 

"He couldn’t debut there, either. Those two were always very close, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Namjoon was involved in the problem with the CEO.”

 

"Have they always been friends?”

 

"They were inseparable, always getting into some kind of mischief..."

 

This was so strange. The way Mrs Min talked about Yoongi... it was as though she was talking about a different person. It was hard to think of him like that, of having friends and going through hardships—he seemed like a person who received everything on a silver platter, who never had to work for what he wanted.

 

"K was brand new at that time,” continued Mrs Min. "BTS is their first idol group."

 

Seung Hee had heard about training idols—it was military style training in dancing, singing, acting, languages and was inhumanly harsh in selecting those who would debut. No matter how passionate you were, if you were not hundred percent good enough, you were kicked out. To think that Yoongi had endured all that since he was only fourteen years old… what about school? What about a life normal teenagers had, of hanging out and stressing over marks? He had been stressing over a lot more than marks at that age...

 

With that new knowledge, came new found respect. However bad his personality was, he was someone who was not afraid to work hard.

 

* * * *

 

Three days before the wedding and Yoongi still hadn’t shown his face. Mrs Min was seething but she was cheerful when she took Seung Hee –after literally dragging her away from her grandfather - to pick up the gown she had ordered. It was white, with a full skirt and sleeves that fell off Seung Hee's shoulders, and a bodice that accentuated her figure.

 

Seung Hee gazed into the mirror delightedly—she had never really worn clothes like this before, it wasn't her style. And it wasn’t bad, either. It made her look almost pretty...

 

Mrs Min called someone on her phone while Seung Hee admired herself from all angels. It was only when Mrs Min instructed the sales ladies to put on the veil that she remembered that she was there in the first place for her marriage—she had forgotten in the fun of dressing up.

 

She was taken behind the curtain to have her veil put, and when the curtain was pulled back she jumped with shock: Yoongi was standing there—looking painfully handsome in a white tuxedo with his blonde hair brushed down over his forehead.

 

Yoongi almost had a heart-attack when he saw her. He had no idea that she was there, he had thought it was just him and his mother - so this was why the sales attendants had been sent away!

 

Now that kid suddenly appeared in front of him, almost unrecognizable.

 

He had always seen her in stupid tacky clothes and just the idea of her being anything other than a dumb kid was nonexistent. Yet here she was. And she looked beautiful.

 

But most of all, she looked soft and warm and real. All the other girls he knew were hard and sharp, cold and uncaring. She was looked so different from them. In spite of himself, Yoongi wanted to hold her...

 

She looked at him as though afraid he was going to laugh at her, and he could see that she was innocently delighted with herself. He could see that she was happy she could be beautiful, and she was happy for herself - not to show off or for anyone else. Just innocently happy...

 

It was that expression that made his heart beat quicker and made him take one step toward her. When was the last time he had seen innocence on anyone’s face? The urge to take her in his arms was overpowering and he might have done it had his mother not broken the spell.

 

"Isn’t she lovely, Yoongi?” she said.

 

There - the spell shattered. She was just a dumb kid after all. A dumb kid to avoid...

 

He shrugged. “Nothing special. Looks like a kid playing dress-up."

 

Seung Hee's face fell; he wondered whether he should have said that. Was he normally that mean?

 

"Don’t mind him,” Mrs Min said, glaring at Yoongi. “He’s just too scared to admit it. Between you and I, he doesn’t look very good these days, does he?”

 

Seung Hee smiled gratefully; Mrs Min had just defended her against her own son.

 

Yoongi was not amused. “Can I go now?”

 

"Not yet,” replied Mrs Min, taking out her phone. “We need pictures!

Seung Hee, go stand next to him."

 

Both avoided eye contact as she went to stand beside him. They stood apart stiffly, their hands hanging at their sides awkwardly, both looking at the floor.

 

"No, no, no!” cried Mrs Min. "Yoongi, just pretend that you’re at a photo shoot, and Seung Hee, you take his arm.”

 

Yoongi did not offer Seung Hee his arm; she put her hand in the crook of his arm timidly. She felt him stiffen at the contact; was he angry that she had touched him without permission?

 

Yoongi leaned away from her again - she was too close, that urge to hug her came back. Even her hand was different— it was soft and warm, just like her. He was distracted when his mother said, “Say ‘kimchi!’”

 

Neither of them smiled. Mrs Min, a bit frustrated, said, “Come on, you two, smile! Seung Hee, don’t you want to show your grandfather how pretty you look?”

 

Seung Hee smiled then. She smiled because she was told to; she smiled so Grandfather would think that she was ok.