Chapter Thiry-nine

Nae Idol

The morning it blew up, Yoongi, despite the members holding him back - “It's suicide! Look at the crowd outside!” - forced his way through the hordes of reporters, the sobbing fans chanting “Liar! Liar!” to his car and tore to his apartment building. The crowd was smaller there, and he didn't care who saw him tear up to his apartment, panicked. He flung the door opened and called desperately, “Seung Hee? Yah, answer me!”

He ran blindly into each room, to find them all empty. And then he remembered. Today was the day she was starting school again.

And school was a nest of irate fan girls. He called her but she didn't pick up. He kept calling as he flew downstairs again, ignoring points and gasps of “It's Suga!” He didn't care about the pictures that were taken of him, he didn't even care about the speed limit – all he cared about was finding Seung Hee fast.

 

* * * *

 

Seung Hee hated getting up on the first day of school. It meant that vacation was over and it was time to work hard again – and the finals were creeping up. And that meant college entrance exams were coming up soon, too.

She turned her phone off to save the low battery and went to school, feeling down. On the bright side, though, Ha Na would be returning in a few days from Busan.

There was a crowd of girls in front of the school - gates and though it was strange, she didn't feel threatened – until a furious voice screamed, “YAH! Stop right there!”

She tried telling herself that the scream wasn't directed at her – because she knew that she hadn't done anything to annoy anyone lately. She didn't really believe herself, but it was still a shock when someone grabbed a fistful of her hair and jerked her to the middle of the crowd.

“Who do you think you are?” another voice demanded.

Confused, Seung Hee looked at the faces around her. There were about twenty girls, and all of them attended her school. Some were crying, some were comforting the crying ones, but most of them were glaring at her poisonously.

“Look here,” said Seung Hee, trying not to let her fear show. “I've done nothing to deserve this – you must be mistaking me for someone else-”

“Aren't you Lee Seung Hee of class 12B?” one of the girls demanded.

“That's right. I'm a senior, and most of you look like juniors. I'll let this slide, but-”

“How dare you!” someone shrieked before bursting into tears.

“She's acting all innocent!”

“Go kill yourself, Lee!”

“He deserves more, you garbage!”

“Trash!”

“You're not good enough!”

Seung Hee kept her head up high. She had done nothing, and did not understand what they were so angry about. She was not going to let them affect her. She turned her back on them – it was safest to get away. Those girls were feral, out of control.

Turning her back was a bad idea. She was pushed to the ground, and when she tried to get up, someone kicked her in the ribs – hard. With a gasp, she clutched her side, her eyes stinging with unshed tears – but she forced them back. She was not going to give those girls the satisfaction of seeing her tears. They hurled insults at her – some of which she had never even heard – and she just could not understand what she had done to offend these people.

Seung Hee tried to get up again, but was flung down immediately, and landed on her arms which had automatically shielded her face. They stung, the delicate skin was broken, and all of a sudden there was an even louder commotion.

“Suga!”

“You LIAR!”

“Break up immediately!”

“How could you do this to me?”

“How could you do this to A.R.M.Y?”

“You betrayed us!”

Seung Hee could hardly believe it – Yoongi was pushing his way to her, his eyes blazing with anger. He was insane to come here! He could get into such trouble!

“Back off,” he ordered, in a voice that threatened 'or else.'

Cellphones were whipped out as he lifted her to her feet and pressed her face against his chest to hide her from the cameras.

Seung Hee couldn't see, but she could smell him and his arms were around her tightly.

People kept crying, “Who is she? Just who the hell is she?!

Yoongi's grip on her tightened, and he said loudly for everyone to hear, “She's my wife – don't you ever hurt her again, understand?”

Wait – he had just revealed them!

“Yoongi, no!” she cried, and struggled to break loose, but he pressed her against him even tighter – so tightly that her face was crushed against his chest, she couldn't breathe, and his iron grip hurt.

The crowd seemed to be getting bigger and Yoongi put her in the passenger seat. She kept her face hidden from the flashing cameras, unnerved by all the commotion on the other side of the glass. He got in and they left the irate crowd behind.

“Are you ok?” he asked. “You idiot, why did you turn your phone off? This is all because of you! Don't you have any common sense?”

“I'm sorry, Yoongi...” she said, trying to hold back her tears.

“You're sorry?!” He just got even angrier. “After all I went through, all you say is sorry? I was losing my mind!”

“Yoo-”

“Just shut up – I can't even think properly.”

His eyes were hard and his mouth was pressed into a thin line, and he gripped the wheel so tightly his knuckles were turning white.

She did not say one word – all she would do was make him madder. She leaned against the car's side, to give him as much room as possible. She had no idea what was going on, and was too afraid to ask – her ribs hurt, her arms were bleeding, and Yoongi was mad at her. Oh, great – a tear rolled down her face, and she wiped it quickly so he wouldn't see.

She knew that they were in trouble when he cried, “Damn it! God damn it!”

The apartment building was surrounded by reporters, TV broadcast vans, and fans – there were so many it would be impossible to get through them without getting surrounded.

“What do we do now?” she asked quietly.

He did not answer; he bit his lip and drove. Ten minutes later, he stopped in front of BTS's dorm. The was a big crowd, but it seemed small compared to the one at the apartment building.

Yoongi got out as quick as a flash and was at her side as soon as she stepped out. Like the clumsy oaf she was, she banged her knee on the car door while slamming it shut just when the crowd spotted them.

Pain shot up her leg and she had to hold on to the car to keep from falling over. The crowd surged forward like a pack of wolves; Yoongi wordlessly scooped her up in his arms and began fighting his way through.

She gripped his coat tightly and kept her face pressed against his shoulder, for comfort and to hide her face from the blinding cameras. Reporters threw out questions so fast she couldn't even make out what they were saying. He never said a word, and when they were safely inside the dorm, neither of them let go.

She heard gasps and feet shuffling, and cries of, “What happened?”

“Is that Seung Hee?”

“Are you hurt?”

“Is she hurt?”

Yoongi asked authoritatively, “Where is Manager Woo?”

“He's at the company,” replied Namjoon. “All hell's broken loose. We're supposed to stay inside for today, and all our schedules have been canceled.”

Seung Hee felt a gentle hand on her shoulder – Jungkook.

“Are you hurt?” he asked softly, and Hoseok cried, “She's hurt, hyung! She's shaking-”

“I know!” snarled Yoongi. “Leave me alone!”

He carried Seung Hee to his room and sat her on the edge of the bed with surprising gentleness for such an angry person. He took out a handkerchief from his pocket – she smiled inwardly to herself at this – and dabbed at the blood on her arms.

“Anywhere else?” he asked. He didn't look angry anymore; he was expressionless. “Does it hurt anywhere else?”

She was more shaken up than hurt, but her ribs still hurt a bit.

“Your ribs?” he asked. “Do they hurt?”

fell open. “How did-”

“I saw you clutching your side when I came.” He gently pressed her right side and she winced. “Does that hurt very badly?”

“Not really...”

“I don't think it's anything very serious, but let's go to the hospital just in case.”

“Don't!” she cried. “It's not serious! Just stay inside, and don't make this worse...”

“I don't care, if you're hurt-”

“I'm not – I'm ok.”

“No you're not!” he yelled. “I can see that you're not ok!”

“I'm not that hurt, Yoongi. I...”

“What?”

“I'm more… scared…. than hurt...”

Yoongi exhaled deeply. “Of course you are – you've never gone through something like this before.”

“I'm sorry,” she said slowly. “It's my fault-”

“What do you mean it's your fault?” he cut in.

“If it weren't for me, you would've never had to reveal our relationship. I don't know why those girls did that, but-”

“Shut up,” he ordered. “Listen, it's not your fault, ok? Why do you think those girls were beating you up in the first place?”

The tears tried to come out again, but she forced them back, and Yoongi cupped her face in his warm hands.

“Someone found out about us,” he said, in a gentler tone. “Someone released articles about us this morning, and it had everything – your picture, name, school, everything. It really isn't your fault, ok? We didn't get revealed because of you.”

“I w-was so… scared,” she confessed, tears finally escaping.

“Hey, don't cry – everything will be ok...”

That made her cry even harder. Couldn't he see that she needed to? She didn't like it or want to, but she had to.

Yoongi probably realized this because he took her in his arms. There it was again – his warmth, his scent, and his comforting embrace. Seung Hee gripped his sweater and he let her cry, his hand moving in soothing circles on her back. He didn't say anything about her acting like a cry-baby or about his expensive sweater getting wet with tears.

Finally, she stopped crying, but she stayed glued to him. She didn't want to let go, she wanted him to stay with her, and Yoongi pulled her into a tighter embrace.

“This won't happen again no matter what,” he whispered. “I'll protect you – I promise.”

 

* * * *

 

Yoongi found the other members huddled in the living room. They all avoided meeting his eyes except for Jimin and Jungkook.

“Where is she?” asked Jungkook.

“Sleeping,” he replied.

“But it's the morning,” pointed out Jimin.

“Leave her – she's been through a lot.”

“Is she all you care about?” asked Jimin quietly. “What about us? How come you're not worried about us? How come you never even asked whether we were all right?”

“Park Jimin,” said Namjoon softly, but Jimin kept going.

“I worked so hard and I finally got to debut in BTS – and because of you, all my hard work will go to waste!”

“It'll pass,” said Yoongi.

“Do you know what our fans are saying?” demanded Jimin. “They're saying that you're a liar and a cheat – our image has hit rock-bottom and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!”

“No it's not,” said Jungkook, his voice unnaturally loud.
Jimin smirked. “You're right – it's that stupid girl's fault.”

Yoongi made a lunge toward him but Jungkook pulled him back and said, “It's my fault, all right? No one else.”

Yoongi froze. “What do you mean?”

Jungkook closed his eyes briefly and his lips nervously, but when he spoke he was calm. “Do you remember when the rumor of your marriage started all those months ago? The article said that it had been revealed by a 'close source.'”

“And your point is?”

“Hyung… that person was me.”

Yoongi couldn't breathe – this was like a punch in the stomach, sudden and painful. Jungkook was lying, he would never do something like that.

“You're lying,” he whispered.

Namjoon stood up, disbelieving. “Jungkook… it was you?”

He nodded, his eyes downcast.

“Explain,” said Namjoon in a hard voice.

“Yoongi hyung wouldn't let her go even when she wanted it,” he said, looking down at the ground. “I did it hoping that he would realize how risky it was to have her by his side, and… in a way, force him to give her up. But I never meant to hurt anyone,” he added quickly. “I just hoped-”

"You hoped to take her for yourself,” spat Yoongi. “How could you have done that?”

“I'm sorry, hyung – I never meant it to turn out this way and-”

“Seung Hee is hurt because of you!” shouted Yoongi, and an uncontrollable rage took over. “I never doubted you for a second!”

Before anyone could react, he slammed Jungkook violently against the wall. Jungkook's face contorted in pain, but that made Yoongi even angrier. He grabbed him by the collar and hissed, “You're disgusting – you still haven't let go of her, have you? And you betrayed us all just because of a girl?”

With every word he spoke, Yoongi punched Jungkook in the face. The other members were scattered around helplessly, making only half-hearted attempts to stop the fight.

“You betrayed me first,” said Jungkook, when Yoongi paused. “You told me that you didn't care, that you didn't want her… and then you took her!”

He punched Yoongi, and Yoongi let all his rage free. They tore through the living room, snarling like wild animals, as they hit, kicked, punched, and pushed. They tore each other's shirts and knocked pictures off the walls – all the members yelling, “Stop! Stop!”

Namjoon tried to separate them but was flung down – no one could tell who had done it because it happened so fast.

“Do something!” screamed Hoseok. “They're going to kill each other!”

He pointed to the floor – there was blood. Blood on the floor, staining their clothes.

That was when Seokjin realized that they had lost all reason, and really would kill each other if he didn't do something. It wasn't often that he took control of a situation, but with a panicked Namjoon, it was his duty.

“Jimin,” he said authoritative. “You and Namjoon grab Jungkook. Taehyung and Hoseok, you and I will grab Yoongi.”

White-faced, they nodded. When Seokjin shouted, “Now!” they pounced on the fighting pair and separated them, dragging each one to opposite ends of the room and earning blows in the process.

Both struggled madly and hurled obscenities at each other, and when Seokjin pushed Yoongi roughly away from Jungkook, he hit his head hard against the wall.

“ARE YOU INSANE?!” Seokjin roared. “Get a hold of yourself!”

Yoongi stopped struggling – and so did Jungkook. They even seemed slightly ashamed of themselves, but did not look at each other.

Yoongi's head hurt so badly – but so did the rest of him. Jungkook had punched him thoroughly, and there was blood coming from several scratches. But the blood that stained his hand, his sweater, was not his – it was Jungkook's. From his nose, his split lip… Yoongi hated himself for doing that to his brother, and his head spun.

Everything became blurry, and he couldn't tell what the voices around him were saying, they were an indistinct buzz in the background - except he heard a scream, and was aware of her presence. He wanted her – he reached out, and a small hand clasped it. Ah, there she was. That was all that mattered for the time being, and he slumped against that small frame and the world stopped spinning – she was his anchor.

 

* * * *

 

Namjoon began to straighten out the living room once everyone had left. His phone rang; it was Choi Ha Na. He was about to answer, but something inside him didn't let him. That something told him to open his eyes, to look around him. He was an idol, he couldn't do things other people did. What Yoongi was going through right now… that could be him in the future, if he kept on going with this relationship.

Though his heart bled, he did not answer the phone – he never would answer her phone calls again. Today was like a wake up call to him, opening his eyes once more at his reality. And his reality had no place to her – he did not want to end up like Yoongi.

 

 

 

a/n: I hoped you liked this chapter, thank you all so much for reading! Did you guys see the poster? Thank you _vminkook for making it! And I'm sorry I couldn't update sooner. I'm still quite busy but I will try to update again soon!