Chapter Ten

Nae Idol

Seung Hee woke up the next morning to the sound of dozens of angry voices outside. She looked out her window to see a crowd of teenage girls holding placards, TV broadcast vans, and reporters. What happened?

 

She ran downstairs and found Mrs Min with her head on the table, Jungkook sitting next to her.

 

"Jungkook," said Seung Hee, bewildered.“Why are you here so early? And why are there so many people outside?"

 

For once, Jungkook had no smile dancing in his eyes and he simply pointed to the tab open at an article. There was a large picture of Yoongi and the headline read, BTS's Suga Secretly Married?

 

"This...” said Seung Hee, pointing at the article. “How did this get out?”

 

"Someone leaked it,” replied Jungkook grimly.

 

Where is Yoongi?" groaned Mrs Min. "He should be here at a time like this."

 

Seung Hee's stomach dropped. Yoongi was going to be so mad at her...

 

"She can't stay here,” said Jungkook.

 

"Why not?” asked Mrs Min. “This will pass.”

 

"Trust me it's better for everyone that she leaves. She needs to go to school and what will happen if people see a girl coming in and out of this house? The fans will be watching from now on and they know that Yoongi doesn't have a sister – I mean, doesn't have one anymore..."

 

Seung Hee was still half-asleep and didn't hear Jungkook. There was another thing... school.

 

"Eomoni,” she said quietly. “Please don't make me go to school today. I'll go tomorrow, I promise - just not today.”

 

Mrs Min studied Seung Hee's pale, nervous face. Yes, the sudden chaos outside had given her a shock, and she was obviously scared to go outside.

 

"I'll tell the school,” she said at last.

 

Relief swept over Seung Hee. “Thank you! Thank you so much!”

 

"You have to go tomorrow, though,” warned Mrs Min. “I'll tell Yoongi to make sure that you go.”

 

"Y-Yoongi?” she stuttered.

 

"Where else would you go besides his apartment?”

 

Jungkook's place, Seung Hee wanted to say. He touched her arm briefly, and it was as though he was telling her not to worry.

 

She went upstairs to pack. When she lugged her suitcase and backpack downstairs, she found Yoongi calmly drinking a cup of coffee. He hadn't bothered to try and look inconspicuous like Jungkook, but came looking glamorous and like himself.

 

He set the cup down when he saw her and his eyes narrowed. “How long are you planning on staying?”

 

"I'm sorry,” she said.

 

He looked taken aback. “Yah, what's wrong with you? Just be your normal self - it's creepy when you're like this.” He poured himself another cup of coffee.

 

"Are you made at me?" she whispered, afraid of the answer.

 

He didn't reply.

 

"Where's Jungkook?” she asked at last.

 

"He's calling the agency.”

 

"Oh.”

 

"Eomma has given me the full lecture about making you go to school and whatnot. I don't have to help you with homework, do I?”

 

"No!”

 

"At least I don't have to do that. Aish, I hate baby-sitting.”

 

"You're not baby-sitting anyone.”

 

"I'll be baby-sitting you.”

 

"Yah! I'm not a baby!”

 

"Listen up, it's my apartment and I have rules. Obey them or else I'll kick you out.”

 

"Um… won't you be living at the dorm?" asked Seung Hee - please let him

live at the dorm!

 

He smirked. “Why? You want me to live with you?”

 

"No! I was just wondering-”

 

"Shut up.”

 

She fell silent, and no one talked until Mrs Min came in with Jungkook.

 

"Good, you're all packed,” she said. “If you need anything, Yoongi will get it. He won't be mean to you—right?”

 

"Yes,” he huffed, rolling his eyes.

 

Mrs Min hugged Seung Hee goodbye. "Don't worry, you'll be back soon. Wait, is it safe to leave now?"

 

"I have a schedule today," said Yoongi. "I called the police and they cleared out the back.”

 

Jungkook carried Seung Hee's luggage and they piled into the car. As Yoongi began to drive, Jungkook said, “Can you drive to my place?”

 

"Don't you want to go to the dorm?" asked Yoongi.

 

"She can live in my place. Don't you-"

 

"No.”

 

Seung Hee couldn't believe it. It was a good plan - a plan that would make everyone happy, but of course Yoongi had to ruin it...

 

"Let me go to Jungkook's," she said.

 

"No.”

 

"Why not?”

 

"Because I said no.”

 

"What is your problem? You hate me but you won't even let me go. Is it that hard to let me do something I want to do?”

 

"She's right, you know,” added Jungkook. “I don't understand you, either. If you just-”

 

"Jeon Jungkook," said Yoongi sharply. “I'm warning you - don't say another word.”

 

Jungkook shut his mouth and did not look at Seung Hee, not even when he was dropped off at the dorm. The atmosphere in the car became even more strained with his absence. Seung Hee glared out the window, fuming but too scared to say anything and Yoongi's mouth was set in a thin line. After a while, she got tired of glaring and fell asleep.

 

Yoongi looked at her in the rear-view mirror, and felt a strange warmth deep within him. She seemed even smaller when she was asleep...

 

He noticed her head was against the windowpane and stopped the car to twist back and slide a cushion under her head.

 

Instead of driving immediately, he watched her. She seemed anxious even in her sleep - maybe he should have let her go to Jungkook after all...

 

He saw her shiver a bit - was she cold? Eomma had told him that she was more sensitive to cold than other people, and there was a slight chill in the car. Should he turn on the heater? It was just five more minutes to his place, so wouldn't it be a waste?

 

Her coat wasn't buttoned all the way up; maybe she wouldn't feel cold if the coat was buttoned up properly. He reached forward and fastened the last five buttons. He felt the warmth of her body as he did so, and it came back - that urge to take her in his arms and hold her close.

 

He quickly turned around and began driving, his heart racing. That kid was dangerous and he would be careful around her from now on - or else he would make a fool out of himself. Glancing at her one last time, and seeing her shiver a bit, he turned the heater on.

 

* * * *

 

When Seung Hee woke up, her head was on a pillow and her coat was buttoned all the way up. Had Yoongi - no, it was absurd. She must have done it herself before falling asleep, and couldn't remember it. Yeah, that's what happened.

 

She saw Yoongi watching her from the rear-view mirror and he seemed oddly jumpy. Had she drooled or done anything weird?

 

"Ah, the baby woke up,” he said, in an attempt at making the atmosphere more lighthearted

 

Seung Hee bristled. “I am not a baby!”

 

He just said, “Get out.”

 

"Are we here?”

 

"Haven't you ever seen an underground parking lot before?'

 

She scrambled out, and Yoongi opened the trunk. She waited for him to take her suitcase, and he noticed her looking at him. “What do you want?”

 

She looked at her suitcase, then at him.

 

"No way,” he said. “You expect me to carry in your stuff? Forget it.”

 

"It's really heavy-”

 

"Who asked you to bring so much, huh?”

 

She made a face, and lugged out her suitcase. It weighed a ton, and she set it down on the floor with a bump. He closed the trunk and started walking, and she followed him slowly, struggling with the suitcase that was more than half her size and weighed down with her backpack.

 

Yoongi looked back to check on her, and she was moving slowly - way too slowly. The reporters could swoop in at any moment. He strode toward her, and a look of panic crossed her face. With one hand, he took the suitcase - it was so heavy! With the other, he took her hand; it was small and soft and fit perfectly in his.

 

"Hurry,” he said, tugging her along.

 

Even when he was burdened with that heavy suitcase, he moved faster than her since his legs were longer; she had to take two steps to match one of his steps - she was practically jogging.

 

They hurried to a lobby that looked like a five-star hotel, but Yoongi didn't give her any time to admire her surroundings. He pulled her to the front desk to tell the manager, “She'll live here from now on,” then pulled her into an elevator that could easily accommodate twelve people.

 

"Won't that desk-man tell the reporters?” she asked.

 

"No,” answered Yoongi. “He signed a non-disclosure contract and will go to court if he gives out any information about me.”

 

The elevator door opened again and he took her hand once more and pulled her out into a hallway with dozens of doors. He stopped at the third door and entered a code.

 

"What's the code?” asked Seung Hee..

 

"Why do you want to know the code to someone else's house?”

 

"But I'll be living here, too!”

 

"Aish, you are really bothersome...”

 

"Then let me go to Jungkook's!”

 

"No.”

 

Yoongi opened the door and pushed her into the huge apartment. The living room was enormous, with a big couch and a plasma TV. She gasped and wandered into the kitchen. That room was large and sleek, too, with shining appliances, and the fridge had double doors and was three times bigger than average.

 

She wanted to look everywhere else, too, but Yoongi stopped her.

"I'm in a hurry,” he said. “So let's get some things straight.”
 

She nodded.

 

"First off, your place is the living room. Do not even enter my room.”
 

The living room?” said Seung Hee. “What about a spare bedroom?”
 

I converted that into a mini-gym. You can sleep on the couch.”
 

What about my luggage?”
 

Keep it under the couch – I don't want your stuff cluttering up my place.”
 

He saw her bite her lip nervously. “Can I go to Jungkook's?”
 

No! Don't even ask anymore!” he yelled, then made himself say, in a normal tone, “This place is safer – no one knows I have my own place.”
 

She didn't look convinced.

 

Yoongi checked the time – aish, it was time for him to leave…

 

"I have to go now,” he said. “But I'll be back soon.”
 

No!” she cried. “I – I mean, you don't have to-”
 

I haven't told you all the rules for this place, yet.”
 

There are more?”
 

Thousands. For now, don't touch anything until I get back. Understand?”
 

She nodded.
 

When I ask a question,” he said, irritated. “I expect an answer.”
 

I understand,” she muttered, looking at the floor.

 

"I'm going now.”
 

Yoongi opened the door and was about to leave when she called out hesitantly, “Yoongi?”
 

He turned. “What?”
 

Will… will you be all right?”
 

He looked at her unblinkingly.

 

"I-I mean,” she added hastily. “The reporters-”
 

Everything will be fine,” cut in Yoongi. “They have no evidence, and the agency released an article denying it. I also have an interview today, so I'll be able to deny it personally.”
 

She nodded, still looking down.

 

Yoongi cleared his throat. “Don't worry, it will all pass.”

 

He wanted to say more, but didn't know what to say. He just stood there for a moment, muttered one last, “I'll be back soon” before leaving.

 

Aish, he couldn't even speak properly in front of her…

 

* * * *

 

The stylist brushed off Yoongi's jacket one last time and fixed a strand of his blond hair. “Perfect,” she said. “You're really handsome, you know.”

 

Yoongi knew that very well, and looked in the mirror approvingly just as the other members came in.

 

"It's a new reporter,” announced Seokjin. “Manager Woo told us that Reporter Cha has really good connections. I think his mother is a minister and his father owns a chain of restaurants.”

 

Namjoon called everyone in a huddle - he always did just before they would go on stage or a show.

 

"Ok, guys,” he said. “Remember to be polite and watch your words. What you say won't reflect just on you - it will reflect on the whole team. Yoongi, he will ask you about the rumor of your marriage, so be ready for that. If there are any really awkward questions, I'll deal with them. I know how much you hate talking in front of reporters, but think of the fans who want to see you, ok?”

 

Namjoon noticed that Jungkook looked worried as they all shouted,

Fighting!” and he took him apart.

 

"Worried?” asked Namjoon.

 

"A bit,” admitted Jungkook.

 

"Did something happen?”

 

Jungkook was about to reply when Manager Woo entered and told them to come.

 

"We'll talk about it later,” promised Namjoon, and he gave Jungkook an encouraging pat on the shoulder. “Try not to look worried in the interview, ok?"

 

"All right,” said Jungkook, grinning.

 

"That's better."

 

Manager Woo introduced them to a youngish man, Reporter Cha, who made Yoongi think that he looked like the type of reporter that would do anything for a scoop - any scoop. Although he appeared to be humble and polite, Yoongi automatically put his guard up. He didn't like reporters in general - they were nasty people who pried into his private life - and for some reason he disliked Reporter Cha even more than the other reporters.

 

"I'll work hard,” said Reporter Cha. “I'm new at this, so please tell me whether I make any mistakes.”

 

He shook hands and smiled warmly to each member, and greeted them all by name.

 

"So, let's get started,” said Reporter Cha, opening his laptop. He asked about their latest album, their world tour, and their future plans while the photographer clicked away.

 

Yoongi tried to pay attention, but all he could think about was how cute Seung Hee had looked when she was sleeping in the car. Hoseok nudged him as Namjoon was saying, "As our agency already said, that article is pure fabrication. Suga-"

 

"Excuse me,” cut in Reporter Cha. “I've noticed from watching old interviews that Suga doesn't talk much. I want to hear at least this from him. What do you have to say about the rumors of your marriage?”

 

Yoongi tried to sound pleasant as he said, “As a reporter yourself, you know that many rumors about celebrities are either exaggerated or made up. This one is no different.”

 

"Did you know that the source of the rumor is someone close to you?" asked the reporter. "Does that change anything?”

 

For a second, Yoongi wasn't sure of what to say. He knew that whoever had leaked it out was an insider, but what threw him off balance was Cha's tone - his tone was suggesting that one of the members had been the source. They would never do that, they were all brothers, they were a team…

 

"The source must not have been as close as you think,” said Yoongi. “Ask anyone - ask the fans - and they'll tell you that I'm not the marrying type of guy.”

 

"I see," said Cha. "Thank you for clearing this up.”

 

Yoongi nodded, relieved that his cross-examination was over. How he hated answering reporter's questions...

 

"I'm sure your fans know everything about you,” said Reporter Cha. “but let's give them an update, shall we? To start off with, what's your ideal type of girl? V, why don't you start?"”

 

Yoongi wondered whether Seung Hee was doing all right on her own, if she had eaten yet. She had better not have snooped through his things... and what was he going to tell her when he went over tonight? Or should he not go after all?

 

Hoseok had to nudge him again when it was his turn, and he said, "Someone younger than me. Warmhearted.... and kind of innocent."

 

Yoongi saw the members looking at him, trying to keep the surprise off their faces, and he realized that he had just described Seung Hee. No way - did he really describe that kid as his ideal girl? His ideal girl was cunning and mysterious, beautiful and glamorous - not that little kid!

 

It was too late to take it back, and the interview went on.

 

Hoseok looked at him with a knowing expression while Jimin held Reporter Cha's attention and said, “You like her."

 

"I do not."

 

Hoseok shrugged and turned his attention back to the interview. His words haunted Yoongi, though. He did not like that kid - Hoseok was saying nonsense. Right?