Chapter Twenty-four

Nae Idol

The next day, school was buzzing with talk about Yoongi's newest modeling photos and his new hair colour.

"That orange?” said Seung Hee, surprised it seemed so popular.

"Orange?” The girls huddled around the tab looked at her as though she was crazy.

"It's red! Do you need glasses or something?”

Wait, did Yoongi actually take her suggestion? Seung Hee didn't fully believe it, but when the tab was finally passed to her, she saw that yes, his hair was red. And he looked better than ever.

The colour brought out the intensity of his eyes even more than when he was blond, and it highlighted his cheekbones and jawline – so delicate yet so pronounced. He was not smiling; his face was closed but somehow he looked as though he were hiding a secret.

 Seung Hee couldn't even take a look at the suit he was modeling because the tab was taken from her. Yoongi in red hair was unbelievable, she head never seen anyone so attractive in her entire life – and since she was best friends with Ha Na she had seen a lot of handsome idols and actors.

"He's too hot!” the girl next to her sighed. “His girlfriend is so lucky...”

"No!” cried another girl. “Suga is mine!”

"Isn't he married?”

"That's just a rumor – there's no proof.”

"Yeah, he even said that it wasn't true.”

"His agency said so, too.”

"Are you sure he isn't? Because if you think about it, why did that rumor even come up in the first place?”

"Are you saying that Suga is lying? If he said he isn't, then he isn't. It's as simple as that.”

"But if he really is married I don't know what I'll do...”
“I'd kill her! How dare she take my Suga?”

"Calm down, you idiot – he's not married so shut up and give me back my tab.”

"Ah, let me look some more – this hair colour really suits him...”

Seung Hee stayed quiet the entire time – when those girls were talking about killing Yoongi's girlfriend, there was something really disturbing in their faces. They didn't even really know him – they just knew the fake person who appeared on shows. They were kind of like Ha Na, actually – claiming someone they didn't really know as theirs. That was disgusting.

Did Yoongi know that fans fought among themselves over who would marry him? She longed to ask them what exactly made them even think that he would marry any of them – but you just didn't say that kind of thing to a fan girl if you wanted to live. She wanted to tell them that Yoongi wasn't who they thought he was – he was bossy and controlling and insane – but again, you didn't talk like that to a fan girl. And they would ask her how she knew, so the safest thing was to keep shut and listen quietly.

One thing that everyone said though was how the new hair colour suited him, and Seung Hee almost burst with pride – she was the one who had suggested it. And she couldn't wait to go home and see him, and if he was in a good mood she would to death about it.

She was even thinking about what to say during class – she would say, “What did you say last night, huh? Wow, you sure change your mind quickly!” - but he wasn't there when she got home. She waited all evening, but he never turned up. Even though she hadn't gotten permission, she slept in the big bed which seemed even emptier and colder, and fell asleep hugging a big pillow.

The next day at school, hardly anyone talked about Yoongi – everyone was too hyped with the new iKON song. Seung Hee got swept into the hype, too, but immediately got out of it when she received a text while she was walking home with Ha Na. She could almost hear Yoongi's bossy voice order: bring fried chicken to the same place as before – that studio.

"Am I some kind of delivery girl?” grumbled Seung Hee, but couldn't stop a smile from creeping up her face.

Ha Na wanted to come with her - “YOU'RE GOING TO SEE BTS?!” - so they bought the chicken and went to studio – Seung Hee found the address in one of her old texts. This time, no one was waiting for them outside, so they made their way inside the building a bit nervously.

They were stopped right away. The security guard barred their way and told them that fans weren't allowed in. “If you have any presents, give them to me and I'll pass them on.”

Ha Na bristled. “Mister, we're not just fans. This girl is actually-”

Seung Hee poked her hard in the ribs to make her shut up, and debated over whether she should call Yoongi to come get them. They were saved, however, by the appearance of Namjoon.

"What are you two doing here?” he asked. “Come quickly, we're starving!”

The guard raised his eyebrows. “You know these girls?”

Namjoon nodded. “I do, so please them let them enter whenever they come.”

The guard frowned. “Your manager has not given permission-”

"I gave you permission, so that should be enough. I know them, and they aren't dangerous, all right?”
The guard nodded reluctantly, and the two girls followed Namjoon to BTS's waiting room.

"Good to see you again, Ha Na,” he said. This made Ha Na go red for some reason, and Seung Hee assumed that it was because he had remembered her name.

"You remember her name?” she asked.

He seemed suddenly embarrassed. “Well, she is my little sis's best friend-”
“So I'm your little sis?”

"Well, yeah,” he said uncomfortably, and the two girls laughed at his scarlet face.

As he ushered them through the door, they were met with exclamations of gratitude from the members.

"Chicken!”
“Great, I'm starving!”

"You two are angels!”
The greeted each other but Seung Hee had eyes only for the man sitting on the couch with his legs crossed, ignoring everything that was going on around him.

  She gabbed a box of chicken and bounded over to him, but when he raised his eyes from his phone to her, she became suddenly shy.

"Good, I'm hungry,” said Yoongi, taking the box. “You're learning to do as you are told - good. Well, say something.”

"Your hair,” she murmured. “You dyed it red...”

"I didn't do it for you, I don't care about your tastes. But-” the corners of his mouth twitched. “- I decided that it's not a good thing to have a hair colour my fans may disapprove of.”

"Still, red-”

He stuffed a piece of chicken into . "Shut up.”

She chewed, swallowed, and in a burst of confidence, said, “Hey, don't lie. I know you dyed it because I said so.”

"Did not – don't dream.” The corner of his mouth twitched again. “Sit here and help me eat all this.”

"Wow, you're even sharing now!”

"I'm not sharing. I can't eat all this, you are simply cleaning it up for me – you are my garbage can.”

"Yah!” Seung Hee hit his shoulder lightly but ate with him anyway. It was so strange, to be eating from the same box as Min Yoongi and fight over the pieces. Even though it was strange, it was fun – and Yoongi liked it, too, because the corners of his mouth twitched often and he even half-smiled.

They weren't aware that all the members and Ha Na were watching them closely, until Taehyung, with a huge smirk on his face, asked, “Are you two officially together now?”

"Huh?” said Seung Hee.

"I mean, are you two a real couple now?”

Seung Hee reacted before Yoongi did. “No! We're not!”
“You look like one,” commented Jimin. “Great, now I'm jealous… how come I don't have a girlfriend?”

"Do you really want to know why?” asked Hoseok slyly, and Jimin hit him.

"We're just..." She struggled to find the word. Friends? Guardian?

Yoongi said it for her. “We're kind of close now.”

"How close?” demanded Taehyung.

"Close enough.” Yoongi stood up. “Now, excuse me, I left something behind.”

He left without looking at anyone.

Jungkook took Yoongi's spot, but Seung Hee was too embarrassed to talk to him after his confession, so she turned her face and listened to Namjoon and Ha Na's conversation – it was nice that Namjoon was paying so much attention to her.

"So who is your ultimate bias this week?” Namjoon wanted to know.

"Leeteuk!” cried Ha Na immediately.

"From Super Junior? That guy is really insane… why do you like him?”

"How can anyone not like him? He's funny and talented and he's a good leader-”

"I'm a leader!”

"I know. I told you, you're my bias in BTS.”

"But I want to be your ultimate bias again. Remember that fan service I promised you? It's going to be special – and it's just for you.”

"I'm getting too excited – can you tell me? Please?”

"Watch a movie with me on Friday night and-”
“A MOVIE?! WITH YOU?!”

"Yah, calm down-”

"That is something I never even dreamed about! Thank you thank you thank you!”

"Don't thank me, Ha Na – to be honest, I want to.”

"But… why?”

"I told you before, right? That I'm interested in everything about you.”
 Seung Hee grinned as Ha Na and Namjoon moved away a bit – Ha Na was surely dying inside, she knew, and Namjoon was really sweet.

Beside her, Jungkook cleared his throat. She stiffened, then turned her head a bit. He looked at her, then quickly averted his eyes to his hands – they were pressed together, tensed.

She felt like crying – how had their easy friendship turned so messy? He was someone she could be herself around and say anything to. He was always like a ray of sunshine, with that aura of happiness shining out of him – but now he was tensed and the atmosphere was so heavy… it suffocated her…

Not being able to take the awkwardness, Seung Hee jumped up. Seokjin asked her where she was going, and when she said that she was going to look for Yoongi, she saw Jungkook bite his lip.

"He's taking a long time to come back,” said Seokjin. "All right, we'll be here."

 Seung Hee wandered through the building, searching. A staff member asked her who she was, and she mumbled an incoherent answer before leaving hurriedly. She searched the entire floor, and decided that maybe she should get back before someone threw her out.

She was making her way back when she spotted a door that was slightly ajar and a voice that sounded like Yoongi's speak from within the room. Seung Hee was about to jump inside and yell to scare him silly, but when she heard a girl talk she froze behind the door.

Seung Hee had a bad feeling about the whole thing, and knew that she really shouldn't but she couldn't help it: she looked through the crack of the door.

That tiny crack showed her all she needed to see, and her insides twisted with so many emotions – anger, jealousy, hatred, disappointment, and most of all, betrayal.

That tiny crack showed her that Jungkook had been right all along.

Through that tiny crack, Seung Hee's heart shattered – Yoongi held a beautiful model in his arms.

The model was beautiful. She was perfect. She was everything Seung Hee was not.

And Yoongi was kissing her.