Chapter Seven

Nae Idol

It was two months later. BTS was in New York for their concert, and though it was good seeing all the overseas fans, Jungkook couldn't wait to go home to Korea. The first thing he was going to do was see Seung Hee again.


 

Every time he called, Mr or Mrs Min answered and told him that she was sleeping. He knew that she wasn't. He knew, from eavesdropping on Yoongi when he spoke with his mother, that all she did for the entire month was lie in her darkened bedroom under the sheets. He knew that she wasn't eating, and refused to talk with even Choi Ha Na.

 

She needed him. She was showing clear signs of depression, and he was positive that he could teach her how to laugh again - just like the way she had laughed at the wedding when she had fallen onto Yoongi. Except this time, she would be looking at Jungkook...

 

Jungkook once again dialed the Min's home. There was so much he wanted to know - did she eat? Did she talk to Choi Ha Na? Did she smile? But no one picked up the phone. He sighed and tried again.

 

Why he was so worried about her? She wasn't a sister nor a girlfriend. In fact, he hardly knew her - but he wanted to know her more. Butterflies attacked his stomach at the thought. He wasn't that great when it came to girls. The proof? He's never had a serious girlfriend. They said that he was too immature, too young.

 

Would Seung Hee see him like that? Hold on, she was going through a hard time, she wouldn't want to be bothered by things like boyfriends!

 

Yoongi's low voice drifted into the room, talking on the phone.

 

"Yes, I ate, Eomma,” he said. "The fans are very friendly. Really? She still isn't better?”

 

Jungkook kept quiet and strained to hear—he was talking about Seung Hee!

 

"What about school?” asked Yoongi. “She'll get better once school starts, trust me. Ok, bye then.”

 

Jungkook checked to see whether Yoongi had left and he crept into Namjoon's room, where everyone usually hung out, reading magazines, talking or sleeping. This time, they all had magazines over their faces - they were asleep. Good.

 

Namjoon was occupying one side of the bed, the other members scattered about on the bed and on the floor.

 

"Hyung,” he whispered, and slowly took the magazine off Namjoon's face.

 

Namjoon yawned. “Oh, it's you. What is it?”

 

"I was just wondering,” whispered Jungkook, his face heating up. “I was wondering, what kind of present would you buy for a girl?”

 

Namjoon snapped to attention, his eyes suddenly filled with lively interest. “You have a girlfriend, don't you?”

 

"Um, no.” For some reason, Jungkook's face heated up even more.

 

Namjoon grinned. “So you like a girl, but she isn't your girlfriend - yet.

How old is she?"

 

"Um, seventeen...

 

"Would this be the first time you're giving her something?”

 

Jungkook nodded.


 

"Do you like her?”


 

"I… I don't know. Why are you asking me this?”

 

"Because you came to me. And don't be stupid - how can you not know whether you like her? Does your heart race when you see her? Do you want to protect her?”


 

"I… I guess so.”


 

"Ok, you like her. You know, I'm really good at this kind of stuff. I'll help you, I'll make her see what a great guy you are - even though you're not a great guy.”

 

"Aish, stop!” said Jungkook. “I can't.”

 

"Why not?" asked Namjoon. "Does she already have a boyfriend? No problem! I'm here to help!”

 

"It's more complicated than that. See, someone she loved died, and she's going through a hard time. I just want to be there for her. That's it, really."

 

Namjoon's mouth fell open. “Is the girl you like… Lee Seung Hee?”

 

Jungkook said nothing.

 

"You're right," said Namjoon. "This is complicated. Just give up, ok?"

 

"Hyung-"

 

"She's Yoongi's family, Jungkook – and fine, say you guys start dating. What about Yoongi? What about the reporters?”
 

I just want to be there for her...” Jungkook muttered.

 

"Don't,” said Namjoon, placing the magazine cover back on his face. “Please, let's all live peacefully, ok?”

 

Jungkook bit back the reply he had in his mind. Ok, so Namjoon was against him, too. Who cares? He would do everything by himself. Once he got to Korea, nothing could keep him away from Seung Hee…

 

* * * *

Yoongi went back to Korea three days earlier than planned. His parents kept nagging him to come home, and a tiny part of him was a little worried about Seung Hee—she was such a bother! He went back without telling his family, and as a result both of his parents were at work by the time he arrived at his doorstep. He kept ringing the doorbell furiously and stood outside until he remembered that the spare key was under a flowerpot - how cliche...

 

Fuming, he unlocked the door and went in. The house was eerily dark, as all the curtains were drawn, and it was dead silent. Was Seung Hee locked up in her room? Aish, she was really a bother...

 

He jumped when he saw a figure sitting at the bottom of the stairs.

 

"Aish!” he yelled. “I thought you were some kind of ghost!”

 

 

It was Seung Hee. Sitting like that in the dark did make her seem a little ghostly - but it was mostly because of her face. It was as pale as a sheet and her dark circles made her look like some raccoon ghost. But the worst was her eyes. Once dancing with life, they were now big and hollow. She appeared smaller, too - it was like her entire body had shrunk...

 

After getting over his initial shock, he demanded, “Why is it all so dark?"

 

She shrugged and then flinched a bit when he said, “When I ask you a question, I expect an answer.”

 

"Don't know," she whispered.

 

Yoongi told himself not to get mad. You did not get mad at miserable people – except he hated being worried about her! For some reason, just seeing her annoyed him...

 

"When are you starting school?" he asked, trying to get her to talk about something.

 

She shrugged noncommittally and he fought the urge to shake her, and she actually started going up the stairs - no doubt to her room.

 

"Yah!” he yelled. “You do realize that I came back, right? Don't you remember me?”

 

He thought that she wouldn't answer but she turned around and nodded.

 

Encouraged, he continued, “I've been on a tour - I've been away for practically two months! Are you really going to ignore me like this?”

 

She just turned around and continued to go up the stairs.

 

Yoongi sighed. He could hardly believe what she had been reduced to - she had been so bubbly before. Ok, not with him, but she had been always fairly cheerful, and now she seemed so… lifeless. Seeing her like that made him feel a strange emotion - pity. It was unfamiliar and he did not like it one bit. He did not want any emotional connection with her whatsoever...

 

He sat moodily in the dark until his mother came in, scaring her half to death when she saw him.

 

"You scared me!” she cried. “Why are you sitting in the dark?”

 

He went and hugged her and she asked, “What are you doing here? I thought you wouldn't be coming for a few more days!” She held him at arm's length. “Let me take a look at you. Aigoo, you lost weight. Come, I'll make you something good to eat.”

 

They went to the kitchen and Mrs Min started cutting meat and vegetables.

 

"I really missed your food, Eomma,” he said, and she laughed. "Ok, what do you want from me?”

 

"I was just being truthful.”

 

"Tell me about you tour,” she said. “Which places did you go to?”

 

Yoongi launched into a detailed description of the various hotels and resorts he had stayed in during the tour. He told her about schedules, mistakes on stage, and funny incidents with fans.

 

"Seems like you had a good time,” she commented.

 

"I'm a little tired, but I loved it. I love being on stage, I think I belong there more than in studios. The energy I get… I can't describe it.”

 

Will you be very busy now?”

 

"Well, my schedules will be a bit more relaxed since our concerts are over and we almost finished promoting the new album."

 

Mrs Min nodded and suddenly asked, “Did you see Seung Hee yet?”

 

He nodded, looking at a spot on the table.

 

"Did you talk to her?”

 

"She didn't answer me, and locked herself in her room. Has she been like this the entire time?" asked Yoongi - wait, why was he even asking? He didn't care!

 

"We took her for therapy," said Mrs Min. "Apparently, she needs the one thing she won't accept from any of us.”

 

"And what is that?”

 

"The love and support from someone she trusts - I can't give her that. She won't accept that from me..."

 

There was no way Yoongi could give her that, and neither of them even bothered to mention it.

 

"What about Choi Ha Na?" he asked. "Can't she-"

 

"She's not here," said Mrs Min. "She spends all her vacations in Busan, with her grandparents."

 

Yoongi nodded. "She lost a lot of weight,” he commented.

 

"She won't eat.”

 

"Then force her to.”

 

"Forcing her to do anything is not a very good idea - she's too sensitive.”

 

"Then what are you going to do? Let her starve to death under your nose?"

 

"She won't- she'll eat when she's ready. One day, all this will be over.”

 

The conversation was turning too uncomfortable for Yoongi and he changed the subject. “Eomma, I'm hungry. Is it ready?”

 

He didn't want to hear more. He didn't care, but he more he heard about Seung Hee, the more his feeling of pity grew - and so did his guilt. Was he partly responsible for her state? He hadn't exactly made life easier for her.

 

More importantly, though, was there something he could do to help?

 

* * * *

 

That night, Seung Hee did not turn up for dinner. Nor for the next day's breakfast, or lunch, or dinner. After three days of this, Yoongi's nerves were frayed. After her third day's absence from meals, he couldn't stand it and took up a bowl of rice and kimchi. There was no answer when he knocked, so he went right in.

 

Seung Hee was sitting on the floor, hugging her knees to her chest and staring into empty space. She glanced up at him briefly in acknowledgment of his presence. He stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to do. Finally, he held out the bowl of food and said, “My mother told me to give this to you.”

 

He set the food down in front of her and hurried out, highly embarrassed.

 

Why was he even doing this? He had nothing to do with her! Ah, he was doing it because she was a human being and was slowly starving herself - he couldn't watch someone starve to death. Yeah, that was why. He would have done the same for anyone...

 

He brought her food for three more days - setting the bowl in front of her then running away. On the fourth day, Mrs Min told him, “I don't understand - I find bowls of rice in Seung Hee's room. I didn't put them there, but why would she take food upstairs if she won't even eat more than half?”

 

"Wait,” said Yoongi. “She doesn't eat all of it?”

 

His mother shook her head, and without knowing why, Yoongi felt angry.

 

That night, he took up another bowl of rice and kimchi, but instead of wordlessly putting it down for her, he sat down in front of her. “Why aren't you eating everything I bring up for you?”

 

She shrugged.

 

Yoongi had sworn not to get angry, but he found himself shouting. “Why are you doing this? Get over yourself, you're just pathetic! Do you have any idea how worried everyone is? My mother is worried sick about you - and so am I. I hate it - don't make me worry about you.”

 

She looked at him, a bit surprised. “About… me?” she whispered.

 

"Do you think I can sit back and let people starve to death? I don't like this feeling, so make it stop!” He picked up the bowl and held it out. “Eat.”

 

No reaction. He picked up the spoon and scooped up some rice. “Open your mouth.”

 

Hesitantly, she opened and he fed her the spoonful of rice. He watched her chew, then swallow.
 

Good,” he said. “Was that really so hard?” He fed her another spoonful and found himself asking, “Do you want some kimchi?”

 

She nodded, avoiding his eyes and he gradually fed her the whole bowlful.

 

"Good job,” he said, and the corners of his mouth twitched. It was a relief, actually, that she ate. He hadn't realized until then how worried he really was. Now he could live in peace without thinking about her and feeling bad.

 

He got up, in a good mood, and patted the top of her head. She flinched, and looked at him in confusion.

 

"Don't misunderstand me,” he said. “I'm only doing this because I can't watch anyone starve. Nothing has changed between us. Go to sleep now.”

 

The corners of his mouth twitched again and he went to his own room. He felt warm inside... Was it stress? Probably. Well, he had two more days before going back to the dorm and by that time he would make sure she was going down for her meals.

 

The next morning, Yoongi shook Seung Hee awake. “Get up,” he ordered. “Breakfast.”

 

She turned over and drew the cover over her head. Losing patience,

Yoongi yanked it off. “I said get up!'

 

"Don't want to.”

 

"I don't care. You will go downstairs every morning from now on so get used to it. There's no room-service here.”

 

"No.”

 

He grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. “You will because I say so.”

 

Her eyes filled with tears and he groaned, “Please, no.”

 

His expression softened, though, and he took both her small hands in his, and bent down so his face was level with hers. “I know it's hard,” he said softly. “I'm doing this for you - you know that. Come down for breakfast, please?"

 

Seung Hee didn't understand how or why, but deep down she knew he was right. And the confusing part was this: she trusted him. She knew he hated her, that she was as insignificant as an old pair of boots to him, but she trusted him like the idiot she was.

 

She followed him down the stairs awkwardly, his arm around her shoulders - it didn't seem like for support, but more like to prevent her from running away...

 

Her appearance caused Mr and Mrs Min to fall silent for a minute, then as she took her place at the table they welcomed her warmly. Mrs Min served her breakfast and hovered around her anxiously, and Mr Min told her about the exchange rate and the horrible Korean economy.

 

She wanted to get away - the sudden attention was overwhelming, uncomfortable. She fidgeted in her chair, and after a while, she felt someone take her hand, give it a brief squeeze.

 

It was Yoongi.

 

When she looked at him, he did not look back, but kept his eyes on his plate, expressionless. The confusion got bigger. After all that talk of having nothing to do with each other, why was he doing this? Why couldn't he just leave her alone?