Chapter Fifteen

Nae Idol

Seung Hee despised herself for the way she looked for Yoongi when she got back from school, for the way she kept listening for the door to open, announcing his arrival. Something was seriously wrong with her. Even when she went to bed –the king-size bed by the way – she kept listening and just when she was drifting off to sleep she thought she heard the door open, but when she got up to look no one was there.

 

She woke up early, and since she knew she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, she took her phone and decided to do something she should have done a long time ago: she was going to insist to be told the identity of the texter.

 

Please tell me who you are because I don't think we can continue if I don't know.

 

She didn't expect an answer, since whoever it was would probably be sleeping like normal people, but she received an answer five minutes later.

 

Hello to you, too. Not sleeping?

 

Argh, he was going to ignore the question again! Nope, this time she was not going to give up. I can no longer continue this if I don't know who you are.

 

 

Someone's in a bad mood.

 

 

I don't text strangers.

 

 

You were doing that until now. What changed your mind?

 

 

 

You told me that you were someone I know.

 

 

I am. You know me but you haven't found me.

 

 

Are you from school?

 

 

 

Maybe.

 

 

Are you male or female?

 

 

One of them.

 

 

This was so aggravating! Why couldn't she just be told? If this was some sort of joke, it was going overboard. Her phone buzzed with one last text:

 

If you find me I will admit everything. Hint: I am a lot closer than you think.

 

Now that was creepy. It wasn't that the texts were ever threatening or stalkerish – just the opposite – it was just that whoever it was knew her.

 

There is something chilling about having someone claiming that they are close to you when you have no idea who it is. It wasn't Jungkook and she couldn't even think of someone else. Aish, why did things like this only happen to her? Ha Na never had this kind of trouble - well, ok, she had a different type of trouble.

 

By the time she finished moping around, it was time for school and as usual she tried to concentrate but slept through the classes and was wide awake at lunch time. After lunch, she snoozed again and during last period – maths period – the teacher came up to her desk.

 

Incidentally, this was the same teacher who had whacked her and Ha Na on the head with a newspaper and at first Seung Hee was terrified that he had caught her napping when she was supposed to solve a problem. She pretended to look very pensive and he looked at her a moment before saying, “Your guardian called.”

 

"Excuse me?” said Seung Hee. So this was not about her naps?

 

"He called and asked that you call him when school ends."

 

Yoongi, that psychopath - he had actually called her school...

 

"He said that there was some kind of issue.”

 

"An issue?”

 

"Yes, and he would like you to call him right after school. Don't worry, though, if it was serious he would have come to get you. By the way, Lee, I can see that you're working hard – your tests have improved.”

 

"Thank you, sir.”

 

Well, ok, even if she snoozed in school, she worked hard at home. It was just that everything was so long and boring and that voice droned on and on and on….

 

As soon as the bell rang, Seung Hee jumped up. She grabbed Ha Na and they went out the building and out the school gates.

 

"I have to call him,” said Seung Hee, taking out her phone.

 

"Who?” said Ha Na. “Ah, your husband?”

 

"Sh! Don't say that!”

 

Ha Na grinned and Seung Hee found the number saved as 'Bossy Jerk.'

 

Yoongi picked up after the first ring, as though he had been waiting for it.

So you can listen to me after all.”

 

"What's the big idea of calling my school?” she demanded. "And you said there was an issue? Is Eomoni-"

 

"Nothing like that, no one's hurt,” he said. “Bring food.”

 

"Huh?”

 

"I'll send you the address, so bring enough food for seven people. Right now.”

 

"But-”

 

Yoongi cut the connection and she cried, “That jerk!”

 

Ha Na started laughing a bit. “What happened?”

 

"I have to deliver food to him!”

 

"But we were going to eat dukbokki together… I know!” she exclaimed. “Let's take dukbokki for them and we can eat ours there, too! He will let us, won't he?”

 

"He'd better,” said Seung Hee grimly, then added, “Jungkook or Namjoon will definitely let us – I hope one of them will be there.”

 

Ha Na screamed. “OMG!!! ARE WE TAKING FOOD FOR ALL OF THEM?!”

 

"I think so...” said Seung Hee, and Ha Na started screaming all over again and jumping up and down. Several people looked at them and Seung Hee dragged her off in the direction of their favorite restaurant. Ha Na calmed down a bit but insisted to look at the address Yoongi had sent on Seung Hee's phone.

 

"It's a photo studio,” she said, strangely calm, but then her eyes lit up and she screamed, “CAN WE WATCH THEIR PHOTO SHOOT?! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE??!!!”

 

"Shut up, Ha Na, and I don't know – they might be done by the time we get there.”

 

"Let's hurry, then!” Ha Na darted into the restaurant and ordered nine servings of dukbokki to go. Seung Hee paid, swearing to herself that she'd get her money back from Yoongi somehow, and they took a bus to the studio. Ha Na kept anxiously looking out to make sure they didn't miss their stop, but also became nervous. “Do I look ok?” she kept asking. “What should I say? Oh my god, we're going to see BTS!”

 

The studio was a large, new building, and a well-dressed woman stood outside, looking up and down the sidewalk as though she were expecting someone. As they approached, she called out, “Either one of you called Lee Seung Hee?”

 

"That's me,” said Seung Hee.

 

The woman shook her hand. “I'm Jang So Ra, BTS's stylist.” Her gaze went to Ha Na, who bowed and said, “Hello, my name is Choi Ha Na,” before shaking the stylist's hand, too.

 

So Ra smiled at them warmly. “I see you brought the food – good, the boys are starving. They couldn't eat anything because of the photo shoot. Follow me, you two.” She led them inside, past the main desk and into a hallway. “So,” she said. “How is it being Yoongi's wife?”

 

Seung Hee blushed for some reason, then instantly felt furious. Yoongi told her to keep shut but went blabbing all over the place. “How-”

 

"The agency knows,” said So Ra. “And so do BTS's important staff. But don't worry, we know a lot worse secrets than this and we'd all get sued if we leak it out.” She laughed. “So how is it?”

 

"Pardon?”

 

"Being Yoongi's wife, how is it?” She laughed again. “I know, I know, you're not really married but you still have to see him once in a while, right? Urgh, I remember when I first met him.” She shuddered. “Arrogant guy. He's still horrible, but once in a while he can be very sweet. Once, I mixed up the stage outfits by accident and Manager Woo was going to fire me, but Yoongi stepped in. I don't know how he did it, but he saved my job.”

 

"Really?” said Seung Hee. How surprising. Were there more times when he was like that? The other side of him – the side she didn't quite know about – was fascinating...

 

"What else has he done?” asked Ha Na eagerly. “I bet you know a lot about BTS.”

 

Stylist Jang shook her head. “You won't get any more out of me. I only

told you this because it was about me, and to show you that I would never reveal you and Yoongi – I couldn't do that to him.” She ushered them through a door. “We're here. Wait while I get the boys, ok?”

 

Stylist Jang shut the door and they realized that they were in BTS's dressing room. There was a big sofa at one end of the room, a table stacked with clothes, a rack with more clothes, seven swivel chairs in front of the huge mirror, and the counter was full of makeup, hair dryers, brushes and so on. Ha Na went to sit in one of the chairs.

 

"Who do you think sat in here?” she said. “Rap Monster? Jimin? Jin?"

 

"Get off,” said Seung Hee. “I don't think we're supposed to touch anything.”

 

Ha Na apparently did not hear her and kept going through the names of all the members. "Jungkook? Suga? J-Hope? V?"

 

Just for a joke, Seung Hee said, “Does your boyfriend know that you're drooling over idols this much?”

 

"I don't care what he thinks,” replied Ha Na. “I'm going to break up with him soon anyway.”

 

This did not shock Seung Hee as much as it had the first time – she was used to it, as this would be the fifth time in a year that Ha Na was dumping a guy. Still, she said, “You should really stop doing that, Ha Na.”

 

"Why? I got bored.”

 

Seung Hee knew better than to give Ha Na another lecture – she was tired of it and Ha Na never listened.

 

Seung Hee cleared a spot on the table and put the plastic bags on it. She had never been to Yoongi's workplace before, and it all seemed so professional.

 

Mens' voices were approaching, laughing loudly and arguing, and Ha Na slid off the chair to stand beside Seung Hee, seeming suddenly a bit shy and her eyes bugged when Hoseok opened the door and cried, “She's here!'

 

The other members entered, Yoongi looking smug and Seung Hee introduced Ha Na, who had gone very quiet.

 

"Who's your bias?”asked Taehyung.

 

Ha Na timidly pointed at Namjoon, who beamed and hugged her. “See?” he said. “Everyone likes me!”

 

Ha Na took out her phone. “Can… can we take a picture?”

 

He beamed even more.

 

While Namjoon and Ha Na took selfies, Seung Hee began to take out the boxes of dukbokki from the bags. Yoongi came over and leaned against the table, and her heart began to race – but maybe that was because Yoongi looked scary when he was professional.

 

Yoongi was wearing black skinny jeans and black boots, and an ed sleeveless black shirt. Seung Hee could see his half-revealed abs, and remarked that it was the first time she had seen so much of his bare skin in person.

 

"I have a good body, huh?” he asked, smirking.

 

She turned red. Damn! He caught her! This had to be one of the most embarrassing moments in her entire life.

 

"Look at me,” he said.

 

Seung Hee forced herself to raise her eyes from the plastic bag to his face.

 

His face… it was beautiful… and unnerving. His dark eyes were burning, looking even more intense since they were surrounded with dark smoky eyeshadow. His blond hair was messy, as though he had just run his hands through it. For the first time, she really saw his sculpted cheekbones, his strong yet delicate jawline, and his lips.

 

She looked away. It's the make up, she told herself. It's the make up that makes him look so good.

 

"Seung Hee,” called Jungkook, and he came and stood on her other side.

 

Glad for an excuse to not look at Yoongi, she turned to him.

 

"Hi, Jungkook,” she said, her face still warm. “Are you hungry?”

 

"You bet! We couldn't eat because we had to expose our abs today.”

 

"Aw, poor you. “

 

He grinned.

 

Jungkook in his makeup and costume, identical to Yoongi's, looked really good, too, but how come she didn't blush when she looked at him? Or want to keep looking at him but didn't want to at the same time?

 

"How do I look?” asked Jungkook, giving her a dazzling smile.

 

"You look cute, as usual.”

 

His face fell a bit. “But I'm supposed to look dangerous! That's the concept for the ad!”

 

"Ok,” said Seung Hee, trying not to laugh. He was too cute and sweet to look dangerous. “You're very handsome,” she told him.

 

"Really?” he asked. “Honestly? I'm tired of always having to be the cute one!”

 

You're the maknae – that's like the maknae's position. Plus you're naturally cute.”

 

"You like cute, right? Right? Seung Hee, you like the cute style right?”

 

Before she could answer, Stylist Jang clapped her hands loudly. “Let's remove your makeup first – you can eat later!”

 

The members went and sat in their chairs, and each of them had someone to remove their makeup. Ha Na, sitting on the couch, seemed to be unable to say a word, and Seung Hee's eyes kept drifting to Yoongi's face even though she tried hard not to.

 

The girl removing his makeup noticed, and whispered, “She's staring at you.”

 

Yoongi's insides somersaulted but he tried hard not to let it show. He could see Seung Hee in the mirror, and stared at her reflection. She kept glancing at him, then quickly averting her eyes as his gaze fixed upon her.

 

Yoongi's makeup was removed faster than the other members, and he stood up. There was hardly any difference to his facial features – his eyes were still burning, his cheekbones just as prominent, and his lips...

 

He went to the next room to change, and came back in about one minute in blue jeans and a white shirt.

 

Seung Hee watched as he pushed the hair out of his eyes, picked up one of the boxes on the table, and looked straight at her and asked, “Is this dukbokki?”

 

"Y-yes,” she stammered.

 

Stylist Jang chuckled. “See, Yoongi, you make her nervous.

 

The other members went to change and Yoongi sat next to Seung Hee on the couch.

 

"Enjoying yourself, Choi Ha Na?” he asked, opening a box. “I heard that you're a huge fan.”

 

Ha Na nodded eagerly and blurted, “You look even better in real life, oppa. Right Seung Hee?”

 

Seung Hee became suddenly interested in her fingers – really, she would kill Ha Na when they got out. Ha Na got up when the other members came and passed them the boxes.

 

"Here.” Yoongi held one out to Seung Hee. She took it quickly before he could do something like throw it on the floor, and his hand brushed hers.

 

She stiffened – really, this was just too uncomfortable. Jungkook was standing nearby, and she pulled him onto the couch.

 

"Whoa,” he said. “Where's the fire?”

 

"Um, hi?”

 

His eyes narrowed. “Are you all right? You look a little weird...”

 

"Me? I'm fine”

 

Her phone beeped and she jumped. Jungkook shook his head and muttered something about being awfully jumpy before he began to eat.

 

There was a new message from the unknown number: did you find me?

 

 

Are you here?

 

 

Yes.

 

 

Seung Hee looked everywhere except at Yoongi; no one had a phone out.

Liar, she typed.

 

 

You're ignoring me. I don't like being ignored.

 

 

I don't even know who you are.

 

 

She heard Yoongi sigh and say, “Gods, how stupid are you?”

 

"Are you talking to me?” asked Seung Hee uncertainly.

 

"Never mind Leave me alone.”

 

Her phone beeped again and there was another text: I've been giving you so many hints!!! last one: I have a good body, huh?

 

That last part sounded familiar - no, it was impossible… but when she turned her head quickly to sneak a peek at him, Yoongi had his phone out.

 

And he was looking at her...

 

"So you found me at last,” he whispered.